Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Raleigh, North Carolina potential retirement location, great museums, drought effect, Oregon living costs in comparison, jobs and affordability, water supply, city and state municipals, weather conditions

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:39 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times

Advertisements

After a careful and thorough investigation of potential locations for our retirement, we finally settled on the Raleigh area. We have made several trips there to look at neighborhoods, try the restaurants, visit the great museum, shop at Harris Teeter and even found a great realtor on this site. But now, in the face of the horrific drought, we have decided that not only does North Carolina not need two more water-consumers, but we can't in good conscience plan a move to a place that is so water starved. Granted, this drought may go away at any time but then again it may not. So we have, with great reluctance, shifted our focus to another location - Oregon. We have visited there many times and I have family and friends there as well. But I know that our quality of life will not be what it could have been in North Carolina. I love living in the South and know that not only will our living costs escalate in Oregon but we will never feel as embraced by our community as we would have been in Raleigh (Wake Forest was actually where we were headed). I also know that the climate will be a huge issue for us, having lived on the Texas Gulf Coast for decades but at least we will have sufficient water during our lifetime and that has to count for something. Oregon is a beautiful state, especially west of the Cascades, and has a gorgeous coastline but it will always feel like second choice. So, has this cataclismic drought changed anyone else's relocation plans and if so, where are you headed now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:41 AM

135 posts, read 305,393 times
I believe, at the end of the day, jobs and affordability affect people's decision to move somewhere. Concerning drought, I think folks are under the assumption that municipalities will handle the crisis adequately. That is, as long as there's water flowing through the pipes After that, I'm sure the curve shifts.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:49 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Thumbs up It is all about Mother Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
After a careful and thorough investigation of potential locations for our retirement, we finally settled on the Raleigh area. We have made several trips there to look at neighborhoods, try the restaurants, visit the great museum, shop at Harris Teeter and even found a great realtor on this site. But now, in the face of the horrific drought, we have decided that not only does North Carolina not need two more water-consumers, but we can't in good conscience plan a move to a place that is so water starved. Granted, this drought may go away at any time but then again it may not. So we have, with great reluctance, shifted our focus to another location - Oregon. We have visited there many times and I have family and friends there as well. But I know that our quality of life will not be what it could have been in North Carolina. I love living in the South and know that not only will our living costs escalate in Oregon but we will never feel as embraced by our community as we would have been in Raleigh (Wake Forest was actually where we were headed). I also know that the climate will be a huge issue for us, having lived on the Texas Gulf Coast for decades but at least we will have sufficient water during our lifetime and that has to count for something. Oregon is a beautiful state, especially west of the Cascades, and has a gorgeous coastline but it will always feel like second choice. So, has this cataclismic drought changed anyone else's relocation plans and if so, where are you headed now?
Redrover,

I wish you good luck in your relocation wherever you go. That being said, I personally would not write off the Triangle area because of the drought. While it is true that the more people there are in an area the higher demand will be for water resources, the drought we are currently in is by far way more about the unusual weather patterns we are currently experiencing and not population growth. All of NC is suffering drought conditions. This not only includes places like Raleigh and Charlotte that are seeing population increases, but the drought is also affecting less populated rural counties including many that are seeing population decreases. Again....this drought is not directly tied to population growth.

I know others will parade by on this thread touting about the growth issues....but that is not the real issue here. The real issue is Mother Nature.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM

473 posts, read 1,736,761 times
There was a study done recently about how often a bad drought occurs and those involved found an old old tree and they could tell from this tree that a severe drought happened 150 yrs ago.. so we are "due". We'll get through it. I don't think its swaying anyone's feelings. If its swayed in NC its gonna be swayed in SC, GA and so on and so on.

Linda

Old 12-12-2007, 09:52 AM

551 posts, read 1,874,776 times
Redrover, Raleigh and Oregon are such different places. Why have you narrowed your search to just these two areas? I am moving to Raleigh because of family, and am looking forward to it. I have lived in Oregon also, and it would probably be my first choice if the family situation were different. It is just that the two places are so completely different.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,203 times
Not at all. Southern California is just about always in a drought situtation. Nothing new to me. I have faith it will start raining there and the drought will be just a memory. I doubt if we are heading for another dust bowl. The only thing that would prevent me from moving there is if the housing market skyrocketed like here in CA or if my family decided they did not want to move, then I would change my mind. And since neither of those are happening, well guess we will be moving there in mid-2008.

Char

Old 12-12-2007, 11:29 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
It didn't change my mind. I conserve water even when there isn't a drought. I could move somewhere else and take the chance of hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. If water can be supplied to people that live in the desert of Nevada and Arizona it can be done here.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
To me its like asking people moving to Buffalo if a recent blizzard is affecting their decision to relocate to Buffalo. I would guess that the answer is no. They are moving to Buffalo for a reason. It doesn't snow in Buffalo most of the year, ok 4 months out of the year, j/k but they do get their fair share of snow. They do get the occasional blizzard too.

Well this area and most of the Southeast is dealing with a drought at the moment. It too will pass. If someone is retiring here or coming for the new job or weather or family they will come irregardless of drought. I don't think people that come here to retire will increase there need to drink fresh clean Raleigh water or those moving for that better job who may not get served drinking water unless they ask for in our restaurants or that everyone coming are moving here to consume masses amounts of water. That's just my opinion. So I will be reading this thread to find the people that say no the Raleigh area is not for me they have a drought. What will they say; I'm moving to Atlanta.....ops they have a worse one!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:42 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
It is interesting to read your responses to my question. But to those of you who replied that drought isn't tied to population growth, I am not sure that I believe that. Existing water supplies are a finite resource and common sense says that the greater the number of people drawing on those limited resources, the quicker they are depleted. Everybody's "piece of the pie" is reduced by the number of people sharing. As for MAtoNC who commented on water resources being provided to the other desert SW areas of Nevada and Arizona, do you imagine that they are privy to an endless supply of imported water? San Diego has always been lush and green and even before their current severe drought has depended on a water supply imported from northern CA to the tune of 90% of their total. In the not too distant future, water will be as valuable a commodity as oil is now. A large part of the southwestern US is only able to exist because of imported water. Without it there would be no Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas etc. and more importantly, there would be no huge agricultural resource that is so dependant on irrigation. I am all too aware that it isn't only a concern in North Carolina which is one of the reasons that Oregon is our new choice. Before this became an issue for us, we had already eliminated a number of areas for a number of different reasons and now the current and future drought prospects have severely further reduced our options.

As for the drought "also affecting less populated rural counties including many that are seeing population decreases," there are several reasons for that being the case. Rural areas by their very nature are more about the land than the people and as such the drought impact is more visible. Also, most rural areas depend on individual water sources such as wells rather than a municipal water supply and when the water table is so adversely affected by drought, there is no other recourse to obtain water for an individual property.

Sundaze, Oregon is our alternate choice because we have visited there many times and I have family and friends there. As a bonus, they have a great wine industry all around the area we will be living in. And at the end of the day, I need to live somewhere that is green (I mean that in a lush vegetation sense...).

Old 12-12-2007, 01:51 PM

266 posts, read 590,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
It is interesting to read your responses to my question. But to those of you who replied that drought isn't tied to population growth, I am not sure that I believe that. Existing water supplies are a finite resource and common sense says that the greater the number of people drawing on those limited resources, the quicker they are depleted. Everybody's "piece of the pie" is reduced by the number of people sharing. As for MAtoNC who commented on water resources being provided to the other desert SW areas of Nevada and Arizona, do you imagine that they are privy to an endless supply of imported water? San Diego has always been lush and green and even before their current severe drought has depended on a water supply imported from northern CA to the tune of 90% of their total. In the not too distant future, water will be as valuable a commodity as oil is now. A large part of the southwestern US is only able to exist because of imported water. Without it there would be no Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas etc. and more importantly, there would be no huge agricultural resource that is so dependant on irrigation. I am all too aware that it isn't only a concern in North Carolina which is one of the reasons that Oregon is our new choice. Before this became an issue for us, we had already eliminated a number of areas for a number of different reasons and now the current and future drought prospects have severely further reduced our options.

As for the drought "also affecting less populated rural counties including many that are seeing population decreases," there are several reasons for that being the case. Rural areas by their very nature are more about the land than the people and as such the drought impact is more visible. Also, most rural areas depend on individual water sources such as wells rather than a municipal water supply and when the water table is so adversely affected by drought, there is no other recourse to obtain water for an individual property.

Sundaze, Oregon is our alternate choice because we have visited there many times and I have family and friends there. As a bonus, they have a great wine industry all around the area we will be living in. And at the end of the day, I need to live somewhere that is green (I mean that in a lush vegetation sense...).
I'm not about to start a side discussion on the CAUSES of climate change, but while the southeast is suffering from a very notable drought, nothing precludes any particular section of the country from succumb to the same fate. Stability in climate has, for one reason or a combination of reasons, dwindled and we're in a much more volatile environment in the years ahead. That means paying very close attention to conservation and appropriate reserves.

Redrover is 110% correct on population growth, and the drought, if prolonged, will definitely contract the local economy and prevent people from moving here either through market or legislative forces. It would be absolutely naive to presume otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary