Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 07:02 PM

204 posts, read 263,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
I lived in Fville for 5 years and former military. Durham is the Fville of NC. Yeah, there are some good spots, but overall it is dump. It is like our own personal Detroit.
Yup Durham for the most part is a dump in my opinion much like FayetteNam.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:15 PM

204 posts, read 263,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
With all the apartment complexes going up on Chapel Hill Boulevard and the 9th Street area, I do wonder if we are starting to get to be too big especially in these small areas. I worry that 9th Street will no longer be the quaint shopping and eating area it is today.
Welcome to growth!! That's how it goes.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:17 PM

143 posts, read 481,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
Oh yeah. If you don't live in the 27713 zip code, good luck.

One killed in Durham shooting :: WRAL.com

SMH!! There is crime in Raleigh also! WOW!

RALEIGH, N.C.: Man surrenders in Raleigh shooting death | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

Old 05-28-2014, 01:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiheaven View Post
Shut the frount door! You mean they don't take all crime victims across county lines and dump then in Durham? How can that be? LOL. Honestly, crime happens in every small town and large city and even in rural areas.

I really don't understand why people get all pearly-clutchey over Durham.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:01 PM

613 posts, read 746,452 times
Another property tax increase proposed today for Durham County. One more reason not to live there.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:04 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
People are easily-led and don't do much thinking in general. I've found the folks who flap their gums have never set foot in Durham, going instead by what they "heard" or their handful of trips visiting their Uncle Rollo in McDougald Terrace and nowhere else in the city. Fayetteville and Durham are not really similar. I've heard all kinds of bootleg comparisons. I've heard folks say that Durham is "just like" Brooklyn, NY, Detroit, Baltimore and Chicago. I have even heard newcomers who moved here from those cities say "Oh, I don't go to Durham, it's too dangerous." If you are from Chicago and you "can't" go to Durham, you really have gotten brand-new since moving to NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
I love Durham and plan to move there from Cary as soon as my son graduates high school next year. I wish I had known more about it before my company moved there because I feel like I have been missing out for the last five years.
A Starbucks barista who used to work near my house (in Raleigh) told me goodbye one day, that he was transferring to the store in Durham. "Moving to Durham, huh?" I asked. "Yep", he said. "I used to talk junk about it like everybody else, until I actually spent some time there and found out I loved it."

Old 05-28-2014, 02:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I have to admit I have no idea what that phrase means, and even Google didn't help.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:35 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Another property tax increase proposed today for Durham County. One more reason not to live there.
Wake County proposed one too - so don't live there either.

RALEIGH: Wake County property tax increase to be smaller than expected | Education | NewsObserver.com

Not so for Orange County.

CHAPEL HILL: Proposed Orange County budget holds line on tax rate | Orange County | NewsObserver.com

Old 05-28-2014, 02:37 PM

715 posts, read 889,081 times
Durham has a great vibe and like any other city there are certain places you have a few pockets that would be best to avoid or again be street smart about who is around. Can say the same for Wake County along parts of Capital Blvd as well as DT Raleigh.

I laugh at these comments to even compare Durham and Fayetteville in the same sentence tells me you have no clue about Durham except maybe you watched an HBO documentary that was spinned by some white guy having a moment.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:51 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I have to admit I have no idea what that phrase means, and even Google didn't help.
A play off the phrase "clutching your pearls".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary