Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:55 PM

190 posts, read 275,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I've just seen steady growth in Durham over that time, just like the rest of the Triangle. If you are referring to the downtown revitalization, people tend to forget some important details. When we first moved here, Liggett Myers was still making cigarettes downtown. It didn't smell that great during the day when the wind blew in a certain direction, and wasn't the best place to live or hang out. The downtown redevelopment has happened at a predictably fast pace since Liggett Myers moved to Mebane.
I don't know if you're giving a true picture of things.

The major industry left at the same time that Reaganomics were in full swing. Crack was sweeping through the nation at the same time. The 'War on Drugs' and all that.

There are plenty of towns and cities that still haven't recovered from that. Especially when they have a historic and large black community.

I don't know many people who predicted things would turn around as fast as they did.

And downtown development has been impressive. But most of all it is how neighborhoods have turned around. Old North Durham? Do you think anyone thought that people would go out to trendy bars and restaurants off/on Geer St.? That hipsters would swarm The Salt Box over by Old Five Points? That Lakewood would be a relatively gentrified and safe. The West End (!!!) is being gentrified. Braggtown is coming up & I've never felt unsafe once living in the heart of it. This all goes for Duke Park/Avondale, Club Blvd, Ellis Rd, Cheek Rd. Hell, even The Village has seen a massive increase in safety and that was whorin', druggin' & crime ground zero for awhile. All the vacants in the Southside neighborhood (which is over on South St. for those who don't know) were torn down and I think they plan on building condo's now. That was one of the WORST neighborhoods in the entire city and was not a place to be if you weren't from there. Now you have people running and biking through there daily on the American Tobacco Trail wearing ridiculous neon spandex outfits.

I don't go spend my nights hanging around in different housing projects, but I can drive through any other part of Durham, at any time, and feel safe. Alston Ave? Not a problem. 98? Not a problem. That wasn't true for most of my life.

The main reason people don't want to live in certain parts of Durham today is because they're uncomfortable living in or around black communities. That's just a blunt truth. Most of the dangers and sensationalism is overblown fear-mongering. And a lot of it is based on race.

Personally, no part of Durham scares me more than the South Point area.

(P.S. - I also miss when Duke Basketball was GREAT and our players didn't leave after one year. I know it's not his fault and just the way things are now, but I'm still a little bitter towards Elton Brand....)

Old 05-29-2014, 09:56 PM

354 posts, read 627,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Seems that everyone loves Durham but there is a problem with major crimes there. There are reports of major crimes on the news every week.
its major crime anywhere you go. Even Richmond,Norfolk,Fayetteville & other cities have crime problems

Old 05-29-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
I lived in Fville for 5 years and former military. Durham is the Fville of NC. Yeah, there are some good spots, but overall it is dump. It is like our own personal Detroit.
Umm how is Durham the Fayetteville of NC, Fayetteville is Fayetteville & Durham is Durham

Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
We'll I lived in Durham on two different occasions. My wife lived in Durham when we met. Half of her family live in Durham. One of my best friends still live in Durham. You caught me I hate Durham. By the way all these Durham residents have the same opinion about the Bull City. Getting better but still needs a lot of work. Anyone who doesn't think Durham has a crime problem is not being honest. Not Detroit, not Chicago but a problem.
Well in the meantime it is getting better so lets leave it at that, It may need alot more work but its getting there.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:01 PM

288 posts, read 360,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behan View Post

The major industry left at the same time that Reaganomics were in full swing. Crack was sweeping through the nation at the same time. The 'War on Drugs' and all that.

There are plenty of towns and cities that still haven't recovered from that. Especially when they have a historic and large black community.

I don't know many people who predicted things would turn around as fast as they did.

And downtown development has been impressive. But most of all it is how neighborhoods have turned around. Old North Durham? Do you think anyone thought that people would go out to trendy bars and restaurants off/on Geer St.? That hipsters would swarm The Salt Box over by Old Five Points? That Lakewood would be a relatively gentrified and safe. The West End (!!!) is being gentrified. Braggtown is coming up & I've never felt unsafe once living in the heart of it. This all goes for Duke Park/Avondale, Club Blvd, Ellis Rd, Cheek Rd. Hell, even The Village has seen a massive increase in safety and that was whorin', druggin' & crime ground zero for awhile. All the vacants in the Southside neighborhood (which is over on South St. for those who don't know) were torn down and I think they plan on building condo's now. That was one of the WORST neighborhoods in the entire city and was not a place to be if you weren't from there. Now you have people running and biking through there daily on the American Tobacco Trail wearing ridiculous neon spandex outfits.

I don't go spend my nights hanging around in different housing projects, but I can drive through any other part of Durham, at any time, and feel safe. Alston Ave? Not a problem. 98? Not a problem. That wasn't true for most of my life.

The main reason people don't want to live in certain parts of Durham today is because they're uncomfortable living in or around black communities. That's just a blunt truth. Most of the dangers and sensationalism is overblown fear-mongering. And a lot of it is based on race.

(P.S. - I also miss when Duke Basketball was GREAT and our players didn't leave after one year. I know it's not his fault and just the way things are now, but I'm still a little bitter towards Elton Brand....)
That's a great point about the rest of Durham improving so quickly. You could kind of tell that the old brick tobacco buildings would get redeveloped, and central downtown would come together, but nobody was predicting the other stuff you mentioned. I still can't believe what's happening on Geer St. It doesn't even seem real to me yet.

I'm a bit surprised by your Elton Brand comment. I consider him a heroic figure. If you haven't read that email he sent to the Duke student who criticized his decision to leave college early, you should really check it out. Searching for "posh group of yuppies" should get you there.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:12 PM

LOL! I will always support Elton Brand and his decision to support his family vs rich Duke students. But as someone who grew up worshiping Duke Basketball (and especially the 91' & 92' teams), their loss to UConn in the Finals was one of the most heartbreaking things ever. And then seeing Brand, Avery & Maggetti leaving early for the first time ever - just a dagger in the heart.

Someone else would've broke the streak anyways. I'm just still salty about that year.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:28 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
When we first moved here, Liggett Myers was still making cigarettes downtown. It didn't smell that great during the day
What are you talking about? It smelled GREAT! I LOVED that sweet tobacco smell! That's the ONE thing I miss when driving through that area on my way to say Northgate or someplace.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:28 PM

13 posts, read 18,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behan View Post

I am so glad I am not the only person who has wondered if this is the reason for Durham's "bad rap."

With regards to Duke players leaving early, I have gotten over Elton and Luol. I have not gotten over Kyrie, and now Jabari. However, I rejoiced when Austin left.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I am so glad I am not the only person who has wondered if this is the reason for Durham's "bad rap."

With regards to Duke players leaving early, I have gotten over Elton and Luol. I have not gotten over Kyrie, and now Jabari. However, I rejoiced when Austin left.
It's not even a question really.

When people say, "Durham is like [Baltimore][Detroit][Etc]." in a negative manner, why do you think that is?

Durham is always completely different when it comes to geography, climate, city-landscape, culture, size, crime-rate, job market, and school systems. The list goes on. What is the only common theme with these comparisons? A large black population.

And I'm not trying to say folks are horrible, racist monsters for choosing where they live because of this. A lot of people in this country come from very, very segregated communities. So they don't know how to interact and the idea of living in or near a black neighborhood freaks them out. Or the idea of sending their children to a "black school". That doesn't necessarily make them a bigot, but it's ridiculous of them to make up excuses of why Durham is "bad", all because they don't want to be honest with their feelings.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:36 PM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Durham is quickly gaining a positive national reputation. Interestingly, Durham has a pretty stellar national reputation.....
I thought that Durham was mostly nationally famous for phony rape accusations and prosecutions....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary