Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 12:30 PM

24 posts, read 53,962 times

Advertisements

Hey, my first post here. Basically, I'm moving to Chapel Hill as a grad student at the UNC, and am looking for affordable 1BR apartments. I've kind of narrowed my choices down to Ridgewood and The Chateau apartments.

Does anyone have any input in regards to living there? The Chateau seems like a nice place, but everyone's complaining about a super loud HVAC unit, so I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be. I also won't have a car, and it's a bit further away from campus than Ridgewood. The apartments are much bigger at The Chateau (800 vs. 540 sq. ft.), but the kitchen is smaller, unfortunately. The location of Ridgewood is also a bit better. But I've read online complaints about issues with roaches, and I'm kind of terrified of that. I can't see myself dealing with that stuff well, if it would occur. But it's hard to tell whether that was in the past and whether things have changed.

Any input, as always, would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I haven't been inside either of them, but I'd go with the Chateau. I'm very familiar with that neighborhood and it's nice/quiet/a little funky. Very easy flat bike ride or walk to downtown Carrboro and your bus stop should be near by.

I had to google Ridgewood to remember where it was, but it's not the nicest location. It's across from Collins Crossing apartments which have a bad rep — poor management, negligent upkeep, etc. It's also near the water treatment plant and is just generally a less pleasant neighborhood for walking around. It is a little closer to the Farmer's Market, but the Chateau is not far, either.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I haven't been inside either of them, but I'd go with the Chateau. I'm very familiar with that neighborhood and it's nice/quiet/a little funky. Very easy flat bike ride or walk to downtown Carrboro and your bus stop should be near by.

I had to google Ridgewood to remember where it was, but it's not the nicest location. It's across from Collins Crossing apartments which have a bad rep — poor management, negligent upkeep, etc. It's also near the water treatment plant and is just generally a less pleasant neighborhood for walking around. It is a little closer to the Farmer's Market, but the Chateau is not far, either.
With The Chateau, I'm also a bit worried about the bus stops you mention. It's namely not on the J route, and the CW one seems to finish operating quite early. So I'm not sure what I'd be doing if I'd say have to get home at 9 or 10 PM on a regular basis. One option is, of course, to go with the J route, but then there also seems to be an extra 15 minutes of walking involved to get from the nearest stop to the apartments. I do plan on biking as much as I can, but I see it rains a lot and heavy in Chapel Hill. Where I live right now I don't even have an umbrella! Or is precipitation not that much of an issue?

But, yeah, the location of Ridgewood did seem quite a bit better just due to bus routes in case I need them and the closer proximity to Harris Teeter and UNC.

I hear bad things about Ridgewood's location, no doubt, although from the crime rate statistics - http://www.ci.carrboro.nc.us/pd/PDFs/UCRStats.pdf - said apartment doesn't look that bad, and, if nothing else, certainly improving. It's also hard to tell how many of the crimes are, say, committed against more vulnerable people (elderly and women) rather than something that would happen no matter who the victim was.

Also, are roaches something that's not unusual to find in CH/Carrboro apartments? I've heard some bad things in relation to that and Ridgewood, but I can't tell whether it's people freaking out over one roach or just not being careful enough with the cleaning.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 PM

Well, it rains here, but we don't melt. Doesn't bother most folks a whole lot, though I can see not wanting to ride your bike in the rain. People certainly do it, though.

You could look for something closer to campus if it's a big concern for you. Often people have basement apartments or folks are looking for a housemate.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Well, it rains here, but we don't melt. Doesn't bother most folks a whole lot, though I can see not wanting to ride your bike in the rain. People certainly do it, though.
It's good hearing people do it then. I actually ride my bike in -20°C degree weather here, as well, so I guess I could adjust to rain. But if it's a thunderstorm or a sustained period of heavy rain, I don't see how that would work. Care to elaborate on that?

Quote:
You could look for something closer to campus if it's a big concern for you. Often people have basement apartments or folks are looking for a housemate.
I'd really like to have my own place, but I'm not excluding basement apartments necessarily. It's just that I haven't found any at this point, and I'm unsure of where to look. I want to secure a place as soon as possible, since I'm already a bit late, and I won't be around to see the places I'd lease before doing so.

Oh, and what about the roach (or pests in general) issue I was inquiring about earlier? Any thoughts on that?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:34 AM

Thunderstorms are often short, though not always. I think people wait them out, but I've also seen folks ride in rain gear. I'm not a cyclist, just an occasional bike-rider, so I can't give you a whole lot of tips — just casual observation. There are a lot of dedicated cyclists in the area who won't let a little weather stop them — heat, humidity, rain, snow, sleet, hail, tornado, hurricanes — whatever — they'll ride.

Haven't been in those complexes so can't speak to roaches there specifically, but this is the South. We have bugs. Browse through here and you will see many threads about bugs, roaches, spiders, snakes, etc.

Craigslist is a good place to look for basement apartments if you're interested in that, but you might rather be in an apartment complex.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Thunderstorms are often short, though not always. I think people wait them out, but I've also seen folks ride in rain gear. I'm not a cyclist, just an occasional bike-rider, so I can't give you a whole lot of tips — just casual observation. There are a lot of dedicated cyclists in the area who won't let a little weather stop them — heat, humidity, rain, snow, sleet, hail, tornado, hurricanes — whatever — they'll ride.
Alright, that's awesome. I need to get a decent bike first anyways. I need a cheap one (< $100 for sure), though, so I was looking at the ReCYCLEry. Any other places you would recommend? As for rain, I guess I'll just buy one of those ugly trench coats, and some extra boot and backpack protection.

Quote:
Haven't been in those complexes so can't speak to roaches there specifically, but this is the South. We have bugs. Browse through here and you will see many threads about bugs, roaches, spiders, snakes, etc.
That puts things into perspective a bit more.

Quote:
Craigslist is a good place to look for basement apartments if you're interested in that, but you might rather be in an apartment complex.
Yeah, I'm looking there on the side, as well. I guess I might expand my search to 2BR apartments, as well, though. Other than apartment complexes, do you know any other good way to go about this? On craigslist I just found Millhouse Properties, for example, something that my previous search hasn't turned up. They have some good ones, but are there any other such properties or rental agencies that could give me better search results that just looking at apartment complexes?

Old 05-27-2014, 04:44 PM

I don't know. I haven't rented in about 20 years.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I don't know. I haven't rented in about 20 years.
Fair enough. Thanks for all the feedback

For all others, please chip in if you can. I still haven't decided on anything, so all information is welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary