Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 01:53 PM

70 posts, read 141,498 times

Advertisements

I have heard rumblings that the owners of Crooked Creek Golf Land (CCGL) are in the process of developing the first seven holes on Crooked Creek Golf Course. They want to remove the first seven holes and build houses on the land. Can this be true?? Does anyone have hard information about this?

We do not own a home in Crooked Creek, but frequent the golf course often. Crooked Creek is an oasis for Fuquay, parts of Raleigh and Apex and a place of great opportunity for many area golfers to enjoy a day on the course. Our family especially have enjoyed the opportunity for our junior golfers to learn the game in a safe and comfortable environment. We are totally against development!

Is there any way for the town of Fuquay or Apex or even Raleigh to step in and lease the course with plans to buy? Wouldn't a municipal course in that part of Wake county be a good idea? Apparently, the Crooked Creek homeowners are powerless. Can somebody provide ideas of how this course can be saved?

Last edited by ScNcMom; 05-26-2014 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Add relevant information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 02:21 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScNcMom View Post
I have heard rumblings that the owners of Crooked Creek Golf Land (CCGL) are in the process of developing the first seven holes on Crooked Creek Golf Course. Can this be true?? Does anyone have hard information about this?

We do not own a home in Crooked Creek, but frequent the golf course often. Crooked Creek is an oasis for Fuquay, parts of Raleigh and Apex and a place of great opportunity for many area golfers to enjoy a day on the course. Our family especially have enjoyed the opportunity for our junior golfers to learn the game in a safe and comfortable environment. We are totally against development!

Is there any way for the town of Fuquay or Apex or even Raleigh to step in and lease the course with plans to buy? Wouldn't a municipal course in that part of Wake county be a good idea? Apparently, the Crooked Creek homeowners are powerless. Can somebody provide ideas of how this course can be saved?
Sorry -- are you saying they are closing down the first seven holes and replacing them with homes, or that they are allowing homes to be built on them?

Old 05-26-2014, 02:41 PM

Yes. They plan to close the first 7 holes (Those on the other side of the tunnel from the clubhouse) and build houses on that property. Homeowners, don't want it, CCGL owners do.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:18 PM

621 posts, read 981,923 times
Quote:
Can somebody provide ideas of how this course can be saved?
Help CCGL figure out a way to make more profits.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Help CCGL figure out a way to make more profits.
Well, obviously. I am not a business person, but it does seem to me that there is a lot that has not been done to promote the course. For example, a simple billboard or sign on 401 that would let the thousands of people driving by each day know that there is a golf course back there. Before we moved here, my husband and I drove through FV on 401 for years and never knew a golf course was back there. Now, we are there every week.

Certainly, there is a company out there that would purchase part or all of the course and make it more profitable. But, I am not a business person, so some ideas would be helpful. Maybe someone has seen something similar before, where the outcome was beneficial, to all involved.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:25 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
Thanks for the clarification.

It would seem odd for a golf course with 18 holes to close 7 of them... leaving them with, what, an 11 hole golf course? Would seem to make much more sense for them to build housing around the other seven.

Regardless, I can't imagine this is an issue the cities would want to get involved in. What's the public benefit in stopping an expansion of the tax base from development, for the purposes of either maintaining an amenity or supporting what some homeowners want to see happen in a private development? Especially when the developer itself is working to make use of the land.

Sure, there are cases where communities build public golf courses, or are deeded courses or take over failed courses as parks (we have a couple of these in Durham.) But that's different than a developer deciding to follow highest-and-best-use on land.

Times are challenging for golf. Participation in the sport nationally is down, golfing and sporting goods chains are reporting declines in equipment sales, and more than 100 courses a year are closing. Our place in the mountains happens to be on a public course (we bought as a foreclosure, didn't go in looking for a golf community) so are acutely aware of the benefits and risks of a course and possibly course failure... but them's the breaks.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,011 times
Default Is Crooked Creek Closing?

Quote:
I have heard rumblings that the owners of Crooked Creek Golf Land (CCGL) are in the process of developing the first seven holes on Crooked Creek Golf Course. They want to remove the first seven holes and build houses on the land. Can this be true?? Does anyone have hard information about this?

I do own a home in Crooked Creek, and, while there is nothing official either way, the rumbling now is the developer has backed out. A developer does not want to come into a neighborhood that does not want them - they won't be able to sell the houses they plan to develop! There has not been a sale, and, with all of the drama, hard to believe anyone would want to enter into an agreement to develop. Crooked Creek has such great energy with young families and retirees, and, golf course is loved by all those who play.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlgegreek1 View Post
I do own a home in Crooked Creek, and, while there is nothing official either way, the rumbling now is the developer has backed out. A developer does not want to come into a neighborhood that does not want them - they won't be able to sell the houses they plan to develop! There has not been a sale, and, with all of the drama, hard to believe anyone would want to enter into an agreement to develop. Crooked Creek has such great energy with young families and retirees, and, golf course is loved by all those who play.
Developers have NO problem coming into neighborhoods that do not want them.

They want to sell to people who don't live there, not people who already do.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:49 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,816,530 times
Quote:
Can somebody provide ideas of how this course can be saved?
Buy it.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:57 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times
The owners have another VERY successful business (Withers and Ravenel Surveyors) and claim that running the golf course is a losing proposition. That may very well be the case, but I agree that it appears that they haven't been doing a whole lot to attract business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary