Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:35 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times

Advertisements

We have a pool in our neighborhood. They require us to be photographed and we have to scan in each time we swim to make sure we live in the neighborhood. I understand they dont want everyone just coming into the community pool, but I think it is out of control. I have never lived in an HOA community before, so I dont know if this is typical:
If a child wants to bring a friend or family member from outside the neighborhood, it is 12.00 per person per day. My oldest and her husband are moving in with us for the summer because all of the apartments they were interested in required proof of a new job, and prospective jobs asked for proof of NC address. So, they're going to move in, and get a new job and then move.
because she is an adult and not a permanent resident with her own address in the neighborhood, they will not allow her to be added to our scan card. and her husband isnt even a consideration.
She would have to pay the 12/day to swim with her younger siblings-which would be so nice for me! Plus, her DH. 24/day for something we pay monthly dues for.

We had family over from out of state and refused to pay 48.00 for a day of swimming in a community pool. I know it can get to the point of taking advantage, but this seems extreme to me.
My DH was talking to some others and it seems they are so strict as to say, "one family per household" so an unmarried family, gay/lesbian couple or anything similar doesnt qualify either-same for roommates.
Is this typical of community/neighborhood pools in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
It is tough thing to enforce but not all the uncommon. $12 dollars does sound high. I've heard of $2-$6. Of course the price can vary from pool to pool. Some of theses pools serve huge neighborhoods. If even half the people brought one person with them it could get insanely crowded in a blink. It is inconvenient, but a very slippery slope to allow people to start adding people.

Not to get off topic, but I have never heard of potential employers asking for "proof of NC address" in order to interview / hire you. I certainly didn't experience that when I was job hunting.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 05-27-2014 at 10:28 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
We don't belong to a HOA pool, but belong to a small club pool in Chapel Hill. I think it's $2 for a guest. No photos, no scan cards. You just give your name when you come in and they check you off. I think what you're describing sounds a little over the top. Do they do retina scans, too?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:39 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
I used to live in NC and unfortunately didn't have a neighborhood pool anywhere I lived there...

But I now live in MO and it's the same as what you're describing. We have to get a resident photo id card every 2 years which we have to show to use all of the community amenities (pool, golf course, tennis courts, etc etc) and if a non resident guest of ours wants access they do have to pay, but I can't remember how much.

So it's not just an NC thing it appears to be a nation wide thing, depending on the community.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:39 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Perhaps more inconvenient, the pool in my old neighborhood did not allow guests on holidays. So if you had family in town for any of the big summer pool holidays, they are not allowed to attend on those days (even if you have sufficient guest passes or are willing to pay).

Old 05-28-2014, 04:40 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Our pool got to be a free for all a couple years ago. We had a new lifeguard crew and their friends spent the summer there. Needless to say both that crew and the open door system were gone the next summer. We now have keys to scan to enter. I think we got two free keys and could buy more for $5 each when that system went into effect. Guests - bring whomever you like. I think you are supposed to get a swim band from the lifeguard but I seriously doubt anyone does. I like our pool. The lifeguards are fairly easygoing and we have some other recreational stuff the kids can do while there.

No one addressed this, but I would go at them with both guns blazing about the "who is family" issue. Your family is whomever lives with you. If your daughter and her husband had moved with you when you relocated, then what? That is complete and total b.s. and I'd be screaming from the hilltops till they changed that policy. You must not have any Indians living in your hood because most Indians that I know have family that comes and stays for months.

$12 a visit is beyond ridiculous BTW - what are your HOA fees? we belonged to our village pool in NY and even there the guest fee was $6 or $8 depending on age.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:28 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
we go to a community pool but in the situation you described, depending on age, your daughter and her husband would not be included on the household membership. they would be expected to pay guest fees every time or purchase their own membership. It's not "anyone who lives in your house". It's 2 adults and however many of their children under the age of 23. if your daughter is under 23, she'd be allowed on the membership but not her husband.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:32 AM

289 posts, read 489,288 times
Sending you a DM.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 AM

363 posts, read 1,212,069 times
My best guess is you live in a community where demand for pool use is very high so they are having to make prohibitive restrictions

Old 05-28-2014, 05:35 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
$12/day seems a bit high - my community pool is $5/day for guests. Other than that, the rules don't sound that far out of line. My guess is they had a problem in the past with the pool being overrun with non-residents (as did my pool, apparently).

To the OP, have you actually contacted the HOA to see if anything can be done for your daughter & husband? Relying on what others say isn't probably the best way to get information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary