Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times

Advertisements

we got the weaker end of the storm here in Rochester, NY. We handle snow better than anywhere in teh country though so its really no problem. Snow looks really nice out, perfect christmas time weather IMO. This is our first winter back in the North so we're kind of overly enthusaistic about snow in december. Hopefully we'll still have some of that enthusiasm left in March!....but if not oh well. At least we'll have water! (sorry, cheapshot)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 08:00 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Anyone want snow? I'm happy to ship it all down there to ya!

It *is* fun the first time it happens every season. Even as sick as I am of New England winters, I still enjoy that first snow. But then everything turns slushy and dirty, the kids go out and get wet, come in and I dry their clothes, then they go out and get wet again and the cycle goes on and on!

And just when you are ready for spring--those crocus are even peeking through the ground at you (April around here), it snows again. And again.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
It snows in April in Boston? That doesn't even happen around here that much anymore. Atleast if it does its only a quick overnight thing that is gone before 9 or 10am.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:01 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
I can't believe I'm stuck in this snow....I move to NC, and the first time work calls me back to MA, I leave NC's 70's for this....now what? I sit drunk and snowed in a hotel. If I ever questioned the move to NC, this confirms I made the right call. Please Delta get me back Friday!

Old 12-14-2007, 05:50 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Having recently moved from NH, I can relate to how nice it was to settle into a warm home with snacks and hot cocoa and plenty of ready-to-eat goodies (in case of power outage), and relax as the snow blows and the winds howl and the drifts form higher and higher at the front door. There's nothing quite like waiting out a good Nor'easter, if one doesn't have to go anywhere. It's even fun to clean up outside once its over (the first time). I'm glad to be in NC, though. I like it here, and the last few days, I realized that I could even get to LOVE it here. Unseasonably warm temps, clear sky - the other night stars were so bright I thought I could reach out and touch them! saw a falling star streak across the whole sky, to the horizon. Awesome. I'll take that over the cold and snow any day.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:31 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
I so miss the snow! 70 and 80 degree weather in December is just not right to me. I hate having to turn my AC on and it certainly detracts from the holidays.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:48 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
I spent almost 20 years living on the west coast--San Francisco, Phoenix, Seattle and Portland. The only time I missed the snow was around Christmas. The skiing was closer and more phenonmenal than New England so I didn't miss that.

If we EVER get out of here, I might have brief lapses where I miss it. I guess I can always, as the Californians say "go to the snow" when I need my fill.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
My family and friends back on Long Island, hate me right now...they are experiencing some rough weather...and I am here in Raleigh with temperatures in the 60's-70's...they SO hate me...LOL...I don't miss the snowy, icy, wet winters at all...ahhhh feels so good to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
I spent almost 20 years living on the west coast--San Francisco, Phoenix, Seattle and Portland. The only time I missed the snow was around Christmas. The skiing was closer and more phenonmenal than New England so I didn't miss that.

If we EVER get out of here, I might have brief lapses where I miss it. I guess I can always, as the Californians say "go to the snow" when I need my fill.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 10,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
About 10" of snow is on the ground--mostly white and fluffy stuff, but it was a strange snow. I've never had my windshield wipers and windshield freeze up like that before! I had to stop several times on the way home to de-ice!

Schools dismissed early, afterschool programs and sports were cancelled and the commute was a nightmare for many. And this was supposed to be the "teaser" storm for the big Nor'Easter scheduled to come in here this weekend. Help! It's only December! This is more indicative of January or February.

My neighborhood is alive with the sound of snowblowers right now...
NChomesomeday ~

I hear ya! My company didn't want to let us go early, but eventually they did around 3pm! I live in Haverhill and work in Beverly and what usually takes me about 35-40 minutes to get home, took me about 2 &1/2 hours. Most of it was stop and go traffic. Ugh! What a nightmare, luckily by the time I was on my street my windshield wipers had started freezing up and visibility was almost nil!!!

I am trying to convince my husband to move to NC. He hates the cold and snow as well, so I don't think that it will be too hard though. I can't wait until we can move. I am so done with winter - and it's only just begun!!!

Take care!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:56 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
My family and friends back on Long Island, hate me right now...they are experiencing some rough weather...and I am here in Raleigh with temperatures in the 60's-70's...they SO hate me...LOL...I don't miss the snowy, icy, wet winters at all...ahhhh feels so good to be here
I agree!!!

Snow is very pretty but it is so treacherous and so cold and I don't want to deal with it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary