Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:29 AM

920 posts, read 2,812,428 times

Advertisements

I think the first snow should also be the last snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 12:14 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Mom View Post

I am trying to convince my husband to move to NC. He hates the cold and snow as well, so I don't think that it will be too hard though. I can't wait until we can move. I am so done with winter - and it's only just begun!!!

Take care!
My husband (Oregon native) is more than convinced. He wants out even more badly than I do! But the job situation just hasn't quite gone our way. We've come close but just not quite there. I've actually turned down two offers in Raleigh and the third came through but not to the Durham office but to NYC instead! He's now chasing down an opportunity in Charlotte and I actually have an offer in hand from a business associate here that, if I were to leave my present company and move, they'd have a job for me working remotely wherever we wind up. But we need the big job to come through for one of us (preferably my husband as he sometimes has a more difficult time finding employment since he's more specialized) with relo funds before we can go. Meanwhile, the clock keeps ticking away and my oldest is in 11th grade....

Old 12-14-2007, 12:25 PM

214 posts, read 701,673 times
I don't miss it at all! Three hour commutes to go 20 miles. No thank you!! We did have a few feet of snow in Mass back in '97 I think on April 1st- the April Fools storm. I will take this weather any day of the year.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshel88 View Post
I don't miss it at all! Three hour commutes to go 20 miles. No thank you!! We did have a few feet of snow in Mass back in '97 I think on April 1st- the April Fools storm. I will take this weather any day of the year.
That was the first day we spent househunting in MA. We drove up from VA because hubby was starting his new job April 1 and needed his car. I came with him to spend the week house hunting and was going to fly home. We left VA on Easter Sunday in shorts (it was 80 degrees). Got to MA and it was significantly cooler. We did not bother to check the weather forecast; we just packed extra sweaters and light jackets figuring it would be a "bit" cooler. So when the 35" of snow came down and we were in temporary housing in Quincy, we had no gloves, boots, shovels, etc. We had to borrow a shovel after the snow stopped to dig out the car. The first stop we made was to the only thing we could find open: a K-mart in Braintree, where we bought boots and socks! Husband's office was open but they told him he could take the day off. Big of them! We had house hunted the previous day and had to cut it off early when the snow started flying. Going from Lexington to Quincy was a nightmare and the conditions just go worse.

I found our house (in a different town) about the 2nd or 3rd day after the storm. A tree had fallen in front of the front door and the realtor couldn't get in to the side door as there was no lockbox there. So we had to slough through the snow in the front yard, climb over the pine tree and then come into the house.

I am SO ready to go! And I was here for the Blizzard of '78, too. It was my senior year of college. By that September, I was living in San Francisco!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:52 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times
As a former long-time northern transplant to the south (some title huh?) I feel the need to inform/remind any recent transplants to NC that you are not DONE with snow. NC isn't florida (at least not weather-wise) and the area DOES get snow, usually at least once or twice a year, and, even moreso than the northeast (if you can believe it) icestorms. No. snow does not come as often and USUALLY not as heavy as it does in the northeast. But, in all seriousness, when it does fall, it causes 10x the problems. Look up some pics and ask any of your neighbors who lived there in January 2000 about the 2 footer we had that closed schools for almost 2 weeks and basically made the Raleigh shut down for at least one week. Also ask about the THREE icestorms of winter 2002-03 (one major one with 1+ inch of ice accumulation December 3rd, two more minor ones in mid-February). Also look up the Janury 2005 "snowstorm"...where .7 of an inch fell and they closed schools early and most business close early and the roads froze up so there was a 12 hour gridlock....people had to sleep in their cars on the side of the highway because traffic just didn't move and they ran out of gas, some kids even had to spend the night in school. My wife picked the kids up from school, and the usual less than 10 minute drive took her 2.5 hours! I'm not trying to scare you, but just saying that you shouldn't expect to not ever have to deal with winter weather again when you move to NC.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:48 PM

JUST BE GLAD YOU ARE NOT HERE, PART DEUX

Snow started falling about 3AM last night. Woke up to approx. 6" of it, with whiteout conditions. Son's hockey game cancelled. Around 11AM, snow changed to sleet and ice and wind picked up. Sons and husband spent two backbreaking hours shoveling. Wind is howling now and my daughter is playing outside. Go figure! Snowfall totals kept down under 10" (thank GOD) by the changeover to rain. Afternoon swim meet was cancelled, too.

Tonight, temps will plunge and everything wet will freeze solid. Another storm due in Tuesday. We've had mild winters the past 4-5 years and have been lulled into complacency. New England weather is back with a vengeance.

I'M SO READY TO LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2007, 02:57 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Tonight, temps will plunge and everything wet will freeze solid. Another storm due in Tuesday. We've had mild winters the past 4-5 years and have been lulled into complacency. New England weather is back with a vengeance.

I'M SO READY TO LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come on down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Come on down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. One of us needs a J-O-B either in Raleigh or Charlotte before that happens!

Old 12-17-2007, 05:39 AM

214 posts, read 701,673 times
I do realize that we are not done with snow just because we are in NC. For me, it is just a different situation. I used to work in a hospital in Boston- no snowdays when you work for a hospital. And trhey won't let you leave if no one can get in for the next shift. Now I am mostly at home and my hubby can work from home so if a storm comes, one or both of us are at here. The stress of storms here in NC is much less for us now. Because of the big Blizzard of '78 storm, I still have the mentality of keep the tank filled and go buy bread and milk- I think that is engrained in most New Englanders. The April
1st storm was the ONLY time I ever called out for snow in 20 years- I just could not even get out of my driveway.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshel88 View Post
I do realize that we are not done with snow just because we are in NC. For me, it is just a different situation. I used to work in a hospital in Boston- no snowdays when you work for a hospital. And trhey won't let you leave if no one can get in for the next shift. Now I am mostly at home and my hubby can work from home so if a storm comes, one or both of us are at here. The stress of storms here in NC is much less for us now. Because of the big Blizzard of '78 storm, I still have the mentality of keep the tank filled and go buy bread and milk- I think that is engrained in most New Englanders. The April
1st storm was the ONLY time I ever called out for snow in 20 years- I just could not even get out of my driveway.
I know exactly what you mean. When I worked for the police department we HAD to be there for our shift and they wouldn't let us leave either unless the next shift was able to get in. Yep. We're in NC now, and I also still keep the tank filled, and buy bread and milk and water...you are so right. It's engrained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary