Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:15 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times

Advertisements

Are there frequent power outages during the hurricane season in rtp? This is the first time I am here during this season so wanted to get a heads up from other residents. Also, I have a chest freezer thats currently on a carpeted living room floor (because i dont have enough space on the kitchen hardwood floor). In my old apartment it was on a hardwood floor & whenever there was a power outage I was able to easily cleanup any mess leaking from the freezer. I dont want to deal with carpet stains so wanted to see if there is anything I could do to prepare for the outages. I looked online to see how I can shutoff the drain of the freezer but I cant find much help. Wanted to know how others deal with it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:33 PM

715 posts, read 888,967 times
Last Hurricane was Irene in 2011 and did not bring much damage to our area even though it messed up the Outter Banks. Fran was bad and hoping we do not see that again as power was gone for more than a week.

I would recommend everyone having a back-up generator since it's been useful outside of Hurricane season as well.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:40 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,975 times
We have been here about 5 years and have not had any extended power outages to date. Our home is on the Wake Electric Co-op grid and we have a smart meter that notifies them if there is an outage in our area which has greatly decreased any outage times.

All of our utilities in our subdivision are buried which helps mitigating any downed trees that may fall on lines.

Depending on your location you may see more outages or may see less, but our experience is its not too bad out near Wake Forest during hurrican season.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 PM

Back in '85 it was pretty bad and think we had 7-8 cyclones with Gloria hitting hard that year.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:13 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
Back in '85...
^This.

I've lived in NC since 1977. Ironically, the worst problem I had for all the years was when Hugo passed over Charlotte, and then Boone NC (I lived in Boone and was evacuated from my apartment due to flooding, and was visiting Charlotte a few weeks later when I wrecked my car in an unrelated accident, which then created nightmares trying to find a rental after the hurricane. Both places have less problems with Hurricanes than our area.)

Anyway, I digress. It is rare that a hurricane hits us at all. On average every few years, and even more rare that you'd have power out for more than 24 hours. It happens, but it's rare.

Bigger risk IMO is ice storms. We get those every few years as well, and the reap havoc on the power grid.

To answer your question, I never have owned a generator. Once I had to borrow one to "juice up" my freezer. I got it cold and about that time the power came back on.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:17 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Unless you budget many thousands for a generator with hookup, personally they aren't worth it. I live in a neighborhood where ONE person had one and you could hear it a half mile away on our loop. They bought one of the cheap gasoline powered ones.

Look for a diesel one or installed one powered by propane/nat gas hookup if you are going to do it. Otherwise you won't even be able to stand keeping it running. But even then the ROI isn't there (they are many thousands of $$). Cheaper to just replace the food and stay in a hotel IF it happens for a long enough time period to be of concern.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
In the 15 or so years I've been here we've had a few outages that lasted a day or more. Never did I feel that a generator would have offered much benefit. (Most were in the winter.)

Folks who were here for Fran would probably beg to differ.

(BTW: "RTP" doesn't refer to the area as a whole; it's just the commercial park.)

Old 05-29-2014, 01:34 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,150 times
Moved back to NC 16+ years ago. We have underground lines. Purchased a generator. Never had to use it. Sits in the corner of our garage waiting for that day it is needed.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:46 PM

Should mention I have the generator as I have meat from hunting that I won't let go to waste. Expensive way to make sure the keg is always cold as well!!

Old 05-30-2014, 03:24 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Unless you budget many thousands for a generator with hookup, personally they aren't worth it. I live in a neighborhood where ONE person had one and you could hear it a half mile away on our loop. They bought one of the cheap gasoline powered ones.

Look for a diesel one or installed one powered by propane/nat gas hookup if you are going to do it. Otherwise you won't even be able to stand keeping it running. But even then the ROI isn't there (they are many thousands of $$). Cheaper to just replace the food and stay in a hotel IF it happens for a long enough time period to be of concern.
Cheap/portable are fine if you run them regularly. Of course, that also applies to the permanently installed ones. If you don't run them regularly, you may not get them to start when needed. Some permanent ones can be configured to auto start on a regular interval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary