Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:31 PM

138 posts, read 256,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaineer View Post
Do Not cancel your service contract with TWC before you switch to Uverse. Some of your neighbors may have AT&T Uverse & Uverse will tell you its available, but they are notorious in the Raleigh NC for setting appointments and not fulfilling the orders for months due to infrastructure issues. I found this out the hard way. We've been trying to get Uverse installed since April 28th. They have given us at least 6-8 installation dates and have not shown up or called us once. Since moving here I've heard the same story from a few others in the Raleigh area. It has just been very frustrating.
THIS! We had neighbors tell us we'd never get instillation. We escalated a handful of times before booking and were assured by an engineer with the instillation process that we would NOT have a problem. LIES.

Even after missing our window I'd call and ask if they were still coming and dispatch would say "for sure today, just later". Never happened. Whenever WE called (they don't call you) to re-book they would try to give us a date 2 weeks out. If we pushed we'd get the next day, when again, they wouldn't show up. EVERY TIME they said "for sure tomorrow".

At one point when I requested somebody higher up who could resolve the situation they sent me to customer retention and the guy (I kid you not) told me if I didn't want to wait "I must not really want service".

We eventually got our instillation (right as I was about to give up, and significantly quicker than most our neighbors) but that was ONLY because I made it a full time job to track service down (this included talking to EVERY installer we noticed in the neighborhood until finally getting into contact with a local dispatcher).

Now that we have service it is WAY better than TWC, but getting it was quite the process, and if you work full time I'm not sure it would even be possible!

I'd like to agree that it's "growing pains" but I get the impression AT&T is choosing to not hire more folks because it would cost more $$. We were told they should not be booked for more than 2 installs a day (the people outside running wires) yet they get booked for 4-6 appts per day- therefor each day they expect to miss half their appointments.

Again, we like the service, but the process of getting it was quite the project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:48 AM

51,631 posts, read 25,733,135 times
I was quite satisfied with the ATT tech, once he got here. (Didn't show up when originally scheduled. Seems par for the course.)

TWC folks were a nightmare. I got the impression that the customer service folks did not actually understand English, but rather had scripts they read in response to certain key words.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:38 PM

571 posts, read 1,301,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofJenn View Post

Now that we have service it is WAY better than TWC, but getting it was quite the process, and if you work full time I'm not sure it would even be possible!
I had replied earlier that UVerse was the clear advantage over TWC. Since that time, I have added home phone service to my UVerse package. Getting it installed AND WORKING was a nightmare which took over three weeks. Now that it is up and running, there are still many glitches with it and I just don't have time to call customer service every day.

All that being said, the internet service is exponentially better than TWC. With TWC, I couldn't even get a signal in the next room, and that was for their "best" service. Ridiculous.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:47 PM

235 posts, read 423,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
With TWC, I couldn't even get a signal in the next room, and that was for their "best" service. Ridiculous.
You are not using your own wireless router?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:57 PM

571 posts, read 1,301,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrix View Post
You are not using your own wireless router?
Yes, we had a wireless router. The service was just that bad. It was accessible in other parts of the house, but it was very spotty and unreliable. The next door neighbor's network was more accessible to us than was our own. One of the many reasons we got rid of TWC.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:30 PM

51,631 posts, read 25,733,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
Yes, we had a wireless router. The service was just that bad. It was accessible in other parts of the house, but it was very spotty and unreliable. The next door neighbor's network was more accessible to us than was our own. One of the many reasons we got rid of TWC.
TWC tech support is as spotty and unreliable as the internet service.

Daughter had DirectTV. She said that was always out.

Why does this seem to be such a can of worms?

Hard to pin either TWC or ATT down on a price. Have to keep acting like you're going to hang up or switch companies. Then that price changes constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary