Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:07 PM

29 posts, read 61,224 times

Advertisements

Ok, like everyone else the hubs and I are moving to Raleigh next summer! We're packing up the baby (5 months) and the cat and moving out of the Bay Area, CA (just south of SF). DH will be working in RTP (Cisco) and would like a commute at or under about 30 minutes. He tends to keep early hours (7-4) so hopefully would only catch the earliest traffic.

I am a stay at home mom so I'd like to be somewhere where things are walkable - supermarket, farmer's market, maybe near a little downtown if possible. Of course I can drive but the more we can get out and about without the car the better.

We are also on the 'crunchy' side and not religious. So think hybrid cars, solar panels, cloth diapers, maybe some yoga. But otherwise we are pretty normal early-30s folks.

We are coming to visit in April or May and would like to tour a few neighborhoods. The plan is to rent for 6 months to a year until we figure out where we want to be more permanently.

Things I'd like to avoid - big development neighborhoods, new construction (if this is avoidable in the Triangle!), few trees. Having to drive everywhere to get anywhere. We'll eventually be looking for a medium size 4 bedroom house that is hopefully in an older, more established neighborhood (Craftsman home would be ideal but not sure if that architecture is common there?). I'm guessing our house budget will be in the $500k range, as we're coming from owning a home in the (gasp) $700k range. Hopefully there we'll get more than 1100sf!!!

Any suggested neighborhoods? Initial thoughts were Carrboro, Chapel Hill, but don't know what traffic is like!

Thanks!
Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 04:01 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Sounds to me like you're already on the right track (re: Chapel Hill & Carrboro). In addition, I think there are some craftsman style homes near downtown Durham & Raleigh. Hopefully someone who is more familiar with those areas than I am can name specific neighborhoods.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:16 PM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mander View Post
I am a stay at home mom so I'd like to be somewhere where things are walkable - supermarket, farmer's market, maybe near a little downtown if possible. Of course I can drive but the more we can get out and about without the car the better.

We are also on the 'crunchy' side and not religious. So think hybrid cars, solar panels, cloth diapers, maybe some yoga. But otherwise we are pretty normal early-30s folks.
Wow, I'm surprised Mrs Steel didn't mention her neighborhood of Woodcroft! It's really pretty with lots of trees and walking trails. On one end (plus one mile) there is a pilates studio, a cafe (and some other stuff). On the other end there's a grocery store (that will probably change soon, since a large one is being built down the street) + sushi, mexican, american, ny style pizza, a kosher store (I wouldn't call it a deli)...

I live in neighboring Hope Valley Farms, and would consider myself on the crunchy side, too, and these are my favorite neighborhoods.

One of the things I like best (besides the trees) is that there are always people out walking, jogging, families pushing babies in strollers...all ages, all races...

Most other developments look like ghost towns to me.

No farmer's markets in walking distance, however. I do most of my produce shopping in a nearby Asian market.

Ps
If you buy a house in WoodCroft, you'll double your sq footage, and even have a TON of cash left over for upgrades.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 PM

836 posts, read 3,468,894 times
Sounds like Carrboro would be great for you, although I don't know how many houses are available there in walking distance from the town these days. Five Points in Raleigh, or my neighborhood...which has no real name, but is in Raleigh between Wade Avenue and Lake Boone Trail...ish.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:23 PM

Gurl, the only reason why I didn't mention Woodcroft is because I think the most expensive houses in the community are in the $350K range. Looks like the OP wants something a bit pricier.

Edited to add: In case you're interested, Mander, I posted a ton of info plus many photos of Woodcroft in the following thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ft-durham.html

Old 12-13-2007, 04:24 PM

Oh let me clarify. I don't WANT to spend $500k, but probably can if the neighborhood requires it. Less is more!!

Thanks for the recommendations...I am making a list. Any others?

Old 12-13-2007, 04:44 PM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mander View Post
Oh let me clarify. I don't WANT to spend $500k, but probably can if the neighborhood requires it. Less is more!!
I hear you!

I relocated here from SoCal, and had a bigger budget in mind (simply because I was used to SoCal prices)

You'll be really surprised at how much room you can get here for even $300k.

There was an open house in Woodcroft the other day that I went to. I think the sq footage was around 2800, and it was priced under $300k.

The style was hardly 'crunchy', but it could be made over...and you'd 'still' have money left over.

Mrs Steele has taken lovely pictures of WoodCroft. Even if you find other places you like, be sure to take a drive down Woodcroft Parkway...

Old 12-13-2007, 05:22 PM

Oh wow, WoodCroft is beautiful! It looks and sounds like it is completely right up our alley. One question I have - I have heard crime is worse in Durham than other areas. Is this the case? Or is it more neighborhood specific?

Old 12-13-2007, 05:36 PM

Gurl - That's so reassuring! I am just used to anything under $700k being a total dump. As it is, our house is tiny and in a neighborhood that borders a sketchy one, and as a result we have burglaries in the area at a rather alarming rate. I don't want to have to worry about break-ins in my next home. That's the reason for asking about crime...

I can't believe we could have OVER 2k sf!! And for under 400k? I can't even fathom!!

Old 12-13-2007, 05:39 PM

Durham's crime rate is higher than in surrounding towns, but it is certainly not the worst in the state. The crime is focused mainly in the east-central part of town. Woodcroft is in the southern part of Durham & feels quite safe to me. As far as I'm concerned, the location is fabulous. We're about 1 mile away from I-40, which is extremely convenient. There are 3 grocery stores & tons of other shops & restaurants within a 2 mile radius, including Soutpoint Mall, the mall's movie theater, Super Target, etc. I also like that we're very close to RTP since my husband will be working there soon (I know people who claim the drive is 15 minutes). And we're not too far away from Chapel Hill so I can conveniently drive over to Trader Joe's or A Southern Season in about 15 minutes. All this & beautiful walking trails, too! You can imagine why we love living here.

As I said before, though, be sure to see what's available in Chapel Hill & Carrboro, too. You'll get more for your money in Durham, but I always believe in investigating all of your options & following your heart in order to find what works best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary