Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 6,339 times

Advertisements

I'm sure I'm looking for what doesn't exist :-). There seems to be many sites for "Bring your own builder" and such but digging into those you find there's really nothing available. In a nutshell, I'd like to spend up to $100k for a very small lot to build a single family home on. Typical floorplan, about 2,600 sq ft. I'd like to be in a newer development, don't need a pool community or anything like that. Any help would be so much appreciated...... Thanks, Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 10:02 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
there are many lots available in general, and you can bring your builder to the extent the plans must be approved and the house has to meet the covenants for size, etc.

I know of some other lots as well, and if you have an agent, they can help you find them via our MLS.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:39 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
So, you have your own builder already and are just looking for a place you can hire a builder to build your own plan?

Maybe you can find an infill lot, a subdivision of another lot, or a teardown.
Mostly these are in older neighborhoods, as newer neighborhoods mostly have designated or exclusive builders and architectural guidelines you will have to follow.
Most Builder/Developers consider the profit of the house when marketing the lots, and don't want to sell the lots without building.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:35 PM

83 posts, read 123,021 times
There is one lot available in Keystone Crossing, off of Page Rd near I-40. It is a small lot and you would have to bring your own builder (and match the aesthetics of the neighborhood).

Old 05-31-2014, 08:41 PM

LeftCoastEnvy, I very much appreciate you taking time to comment. I checked out Keystone Crossings and as you said, the lots are really small. These must be nearly 0 lotline lots? Again, I sincerely appreciate the lead but I think about the smallest lot I could do is .20 acre.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:21 PM

74 posts, read 112,826 times
This may seem like a somewhat obvious answer, but zillow.com allows you to search for just lots or land within your price rage, and you can also narrow down to a specific size. If you did that in each city, I'm sure it would become a lot more obvious what was out there without relying on people to remember what lots they've noticed.

You can do this for Cary, Raleigh, and Morrisville individually and then compare the results for all three of them.

I dunno if you've already tried this or not.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:02 PM

Default Looking for vacant lot

Thanks for the suggestion and taking time to post. I did check Zillow and came up empty as apparently there are very few lots listed. I know I'm asking people for help but I don't know how else to find developments that let you bring your own builder??? It seems to me that's my best bet to find a lot but I'm certainly open to suggestions.... Thanks again, Greg

Old 06-01-2014, 03:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAhlman View Post
Thanks for the suggestion and taking time to post. I did check Zillow and came up empty as apparently there are very few lots listed. I know I'm asking people for help but I don't know how else to find developments that let you bring your own builder??? It seems to me that's my best bet to find a lot but I'm certainly open to suggestions.... Thanks again, Greg
What's undesirable about using the builder that owns the lots in a neighborhood? Do you have a specific builder that you must have to build your home?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:34 PM

Default Looking for vacant Lot

I have a good friend who is a general contractor. He built our last home and saved us about $30k on a $300k home. He also worked directly with the subcontractors and got us a bunch of extras at no cost. That's why I'm looking to use my builder, thanks for asking....

Old 06-02-2014, 12:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAhlman View Post
I have a good friend who is a general contractor. He built our last home and saved us about $30k on a $300k home. He also worked directly with the subcontractors and got us a bunch of extras at no cost. That's why I'm looking to use my builder, thanks for asking....
Gotcha.

I think you could find a lot someplace near where you want, but probably not in a newer development. Not in the area where you're shopping.

I see 4 pieces of land where you could bring your own builder in Cary.

3 of them are pretty close to the area you specified. 2 of those are in a non-HOA subdivision. One is a single lot that is not in a subdivision. All are under an acre, and under 100k.

So, it can be done, but probably not in a newer development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary