Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 05:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times

Advertisements

What is your experience with the Raleigh city pools? Do they often get capped? Is there anything that I should know about them before I buy a month membership pass?

I am trying to decide if I should join my optional neighborhood pool or just get a limited pass for the city pool. I hate swimming and so does my teen daughter but my three younger boys love it. Dh is indifferent. The cost to join the neighborhood pool is pretty pricey and I'm not sure how much we will use it, given my aversion for it. We didn't join last year (our first year in the n'hood). My youngest is still too young to go to the pool alone so I have to go with them all if they go. If he was old enough to go I would definitely get the neighborhood membership.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice that would help sway me one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 06:31 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Drive v. walk?

Cost?

Rules?

Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
I love Raleigh city pools. I'm a lap swimmer, and I buy the yearly pass. I go every day if not at the beach. You could buy a punch pass for your kids to try out this summer.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Drive v. walk?

Cost?

Rules?
We could walk to our neighborhood pool but would likely drive because of all the stuff. The city pool is only 3 miles away so not far.

The $$ is kind of complex because there are so many options with the city pool, but ultimately it would be about $160 cheaper.

I don't know of any differences in the rules.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I love Raleigh city pools. I'm a lap swimmer, and I buy the yearly pass. I go every day if not at the beach. You could buy a punch pass for your kids to try out this summer.
Thank you.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:49 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times
I would go for your neighborhood pool. Nothing more fun than seeing all your neighborhood friends at the pool, the same kids you go to school with. It's totally worth it. You could get one of those beach carts to load up your stuff and walk.

I'm not sure if it's a state or city pool, but I went to one and it was really decent. Kids had fun. We were renting in a neighborhood without a pool and the kids love the water. I would definitely have gone again and it's certainly a very inexpensive option, but convenience, & the friends makes the decision for me.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:13 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Like Kelly, I'd probably go to the neighborhood pool - the whole point with your boys is that they probably want to have fun with their neighborhood friends. You're right about the driving thing - I live close to our neighborhood pool and usually still drive, especially when it's 100*. And even though you're driving, it's still probably more convenient, especially as your kids get older. My oldest two can go to our neighborhood pool by themselves now and they walk or ride their bikes down.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:42 AM

Thanks for all the input. We've decided to go with the city pool for the next two years until the youngest is old enough to go without adult supervision. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: