Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
A new one for me today.

Came out of the Harris Teeter at Falls of Neuse and Spring Forest and was approached by a big guy and a little girl. He pulls out a wad of folded money and told me he was $30 short of buying an alternator to get his car started and get the child out of the hot sun. I told him I didn't carry cash and he immediately pointed to a cashpoint machine next to his car.

Since there are no auto parts stores located nearby I wondered how he was going to get an alternator even if he had the money. How low can these people stoop to drag a child around a hot parking lot to play out a scam.
I'm sorry but unless he had some decent tools he wasn't going to be changing an alternator in a parking lot no matter how much money you gave him. A cab ride home would likely be cheaper.

There's a male/female begging pair that alternates on New Falls of Neuse/Capital and it amazes me how many people give them money. It won't make a difference folks, save your money and donate it to an organization that helps the homeless/jobless, etc.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
He pulls out a wad of folded money ...
If only I had the nerve I would stare at that wad of cash, ignore his words, and say "I am so desperate for money to feed my children, you are so kind to offer, thank you, thank you, thank you, may the Good Lord bless you always." Then try to take the money from his hands and watch him retreat quickly!

Old 06-24-2014, 06:57 AM

613 posts, read 745,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
If only I had the nerve I would stare at that wad of cash, ignore his words, and say "I am so desperate for money to feed my children, you are so kind to offer, thank you, thank you, thank you, may the Good Lord bless you always." Then try to take the money from his hands and watch him retreat quickly!

He'd probably call the cops. Remember the 'entitled' have rights to your money. You don't have any to theirs.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:16 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
He'd probably call the cops. Remember the 'entitled' have rights to your money. You don't have any to theirs.
Ouch.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:40 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,231 times
I know this is going to give people the perfect opening to bash on Cary but in the 22 years I've lived here I've had one person ask me for money. In Raleigh, Wilmington, Goldsboro, Durham I've had people approach me while shopping, in parking lots and gas stations asking for money. Based on the situation and my instincts I've either given what cash I had or refused.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:26 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Quote:
How low can these people stoop to drag a child around a hot parking lot to play out a scam.
They obviously have no shame & should be stopped from scamming others for money. If I saw someone using kids as a bait, I would call the cops & report child abuse.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
It won't make a difference folks, save your money and donate it to an organization that helps the homeless/jobless, etc.
Exactly my reason for starting this thread.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Absolutely right. Next time I see a panhandler asking me money on a commercial property like a shopping mall, gas station or grocery store, I am going back & complaining to the owners, their corporate office & ask them to do something about the harassment. Everyone else, please do the same. Dont take it for granted. It only enables them. Dont make panhandling a 'career' choice for our kids.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
I was harassed while entering a WalMart one time. They had a table set up like the Girl Scouts do, but they were being very loud, obnoxious, and aggressive about trying to get people to give money to their charity. I walked straight to the customer service desk and asked for the manager. I told them that the "charity" set up outside their doors were acting way too aggressively towards the customers trying to enter the store, and if it wasn't stopped, I could guarantee that I would never shop there again. I even threatened to call the cops if the "charity stepped on front of me and tried to steer me to their table again. I apparently wasn't the first person to complain, but the manager did go have a talk with them, because I stood there and watched to make sure it happened.

I shouldn't have to endure that crap when I need to go to the store! My tolerance level for being "messed with" is very low.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 AM

613 posts, read 745,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I was harassed while entering a WalMart one time. They had a table set up like the Girl Scouts do, but they were being very loud, obnoxious, and aggressive about trying to get people to give money to their charity. I walked straight to the customer service desk and asked for the manager. I told them that the "charity" set up outside their doors were acting way too aggressively towards the customers trying to enter the store, and if it wasn't stopped, I could guarantee that I would never shop there again. I even threatened to call the cops if the "charity stepped on front of me and tried to steer me to their table again. I apparently wasn't the first person to complain, but the manager did go have a talk with them, because I stood there and watched to make sure it happened.

I shouldn't have to endure that crap when I need to go to the store! My tolerance level for being "messed with" is very low.

Walmart at Triangle Town center. Similar experience where the charity person stepped right in front of me. I politely declined and walked around her. This was a few weeks ago. There seems to be an epidemic of people wanting something for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary