Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times

Advertisements

Wake County school leaders are warning that the budget proposed in the NC state senate will require them to:

Quote:
• Eliminate 693 teacher assistant positions out of 1,250 allotted for the current school year.

• Reduce bus service and the number of drivers used to transport students due to a proposed cut of $2.9 million in transportation funding.

• Reduce the school system’s ability to provide driver education classes for students due to a cut of about $2.8 million.

• Increase administrative tasks for teachers by reducing state funding 5 percent for Wake County administrators and 30 percent for the state Department of Public Instruction.

• In addition, local school systems are required to provide salary increases for any teacher paid with local funding when teachers paid with state money receive a raise. Wake says it would need to spend $13 million more for those raises, which “would likely mean additional cuts in personnel.”
Wake County schools warns Senate budget would lead to hundreds of layoffs | Under the Dome Blog | NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
State Superintendent June Atkinson's Response to the Senate Budget Proposal

Old 06-03-2014, 08:37 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
It means that anyone caring about good schools for their kids should not move to Wake County or anywhere in North Carolina.

Teachers would need to give up tenure to get raises. Who needs this rotten legislature.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 AM

613 posts, read 746,516 times
Just to touch on two of them. Drivers Ed? Eliminate it. Just two months ago the N and O had an article detailing how bad the program is. Teacher assistants? No such thing when I was in school. OK 3. Administration? ripe for a big cut.

Give all of this freed up money towards raising teacher salaries.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:40 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Just to touch on two of them. Drivers Ed? Eliminate it. Just two months ago the N and O had an article detailing how bad the program is. Teacher assistants? No such thing when I was in school. OK 3. Administration? ripe for a big cut.

Give all of this freed up money towards raising teacher salaries.
Driver's Ed is required if kids want to get a license. Many parents cannot afford to pay for private lessons. Does this mean that their children cannot drive?

Teacher assistants are used in lower grades because the classrooms are too large. I'm fine with cutting assistants if you increase the number of classrooms and lower class sizes to a manageable amount for one human being to deal with on a daily basis.

Administration? I agree.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:40 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I've often wondered why Tenure has to be given up in order to get the raise (under this proposal). What is the rational. How does giving up tenure make the raises possible? Is there a good reason for asking teachers to give up tenure or is it simply part of the bargaining and that is the only thing the legislature can ask them to give up.

I can't follow the logic.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:11 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
The current NC Legislature doesn't understand that word, let alone the concept.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:14 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Driver's Ed is required if kids want to get a license. Many parents cannot afford to pay for private lessons. Does this mean that their children cannot drive?
It's actually not required, just required if you want to get it earlier than graduating high school if I read the regs correctly.

The was the same in NH, if you wanted to get it early you paid for drivers ed. That's what I did, because I had normal teenage jobs (mowing lawns, shoveling snow, paper route etc) and no $400 cell phone to worry about purchasing...

In NC the state contracts to a private business and they are certainly well paid, just look at the cars they are using. Late model, $25k cars. I remember my drivers ed car, it was 10-15 years old!

If you have extra money, sure, go for it but is that the case here? The state can't just print money like the federal government can, so they do actually have to cut programs.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Not that anyone cares, but.....

NC has 6 schools in the US News top 1000 high schools in the USA. Two are in Cary. MA, a state with the same population, has 47.

NC Public Schools Flexibility Act was effective July 1, 2013 and eliminated class size ratios in grades 4-12. Class sizes have risen as local school districts have lost over 5,000 teaching positions.

Over the last four years, NC’s public schools have lost 17,278 positions and laid off 6,167 people (35% teachers, 33% teaching assistants) while the number of public school students has grown by approximately 16,000.

NC is behind South Carolina. Let me repeat that for those who think of South Carolina as the worst-case state for everything unless it's Mississippi—which we're behind as well. Our per-student support for K–12 schools has dropped below $8,500 a year, roughly $400 per student less than in South Carolina. It's $1,000 less than Mississippi.

The new proposed changes that would raise teacher pay have a cost. The plan would eliminate all teacher assistant positions in the second and third grades, which means only kindergarten and first-grade teachers would still be allowed an assistant—if and only if the local school board pays for it.

The new plan also eliminates caps on class sizes in grades K–3.

No light at the end of the NC education tunnel.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I've often wondered why Tenure has to be given up in order to get the raise (under this proposal). What is the rational. How does giving up tenure make the raises possible? Is there a good reason for asking teachers to give up tenure or is it simply part of the bargaining and that is the only thing the legislature can ask them to give up.

That's a great point. I think ultimately what will happen is the 25-30 year teachers will be "asked to leave" allowing more teachers to be hired (assuming they can find them) at half their pay. It wouldn't surprise me if that was their plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: