Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:32 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
In the 1980s it had some empty storefronts. The News and Observer would occasionally have articles discussing what could be done to "bring it back" because so much of the shopping had moved out to CrabTree. There were other articles about "adventerous" people willing to buy and invest in places like Boylan Heights.
Interesting to know that. Glad to see that people moved back downtown! It reminded me of the area around Chevy Chase in DC. It is expensive, though, but most nice downtown areas in cities are! It seems like a convenient, fun place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 12:00 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
ITB is essentially what the city was before it exploded with growth starting with the IBM influx in the 60s. The area is venerated because it's usually seen as being more people centric and scaled as such. For enough money (well....a lot of money), one can have a huge house on a great sized lot in a quiet neighborhood within just a couple of miles of DT Raleigh, Crabtree Valley, North Hills, Cameron Village & NC State. For those who can afford it, it's the best of all worlds in Raleigh. Since the 80s, periphery neighborhoods like on the east side of Five Points, Mordecai, Glenwood Brooklyn and Oakwood have been gentrified and/or restored.

While ITB can mean all of the area bounded by the Beltline, it usually means the NW quadrant of the area from NC State to Capital Boulevard and inclusive of all DT immediate neighborhoods.
Pretty much as good of an explanation of ITB as one could get.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:48 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,230 times
There are still deals to be had inside the belt line. You just need a GOOD realtor that knows this area REALLY REALLY well, and patience. I have seen houses on my street go very low and very high…all based on who is paying attention (sellers and buyers). We are all still a little upset with one of our neighbors who priced their house VERY low…and it sold in 24 hours. Are you going to be able to get a deal on one of the newly finished McMAnsions? Of course not…they need to get their money back. But there are some amazing old houses on huge lots that go for way less than they should….you will need to do some up fit…but it will be worth it. The bones on most of these houses are way better than the new construction.

Last edited by Usedtobe VaNC; 06-05-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 03:26 PM

750 posts, read 853,913 times
Thanks for all these useful replies. I can't wait to get there and explore :-)

Old 06-06-2014, 04:33 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
ITB is essentially what the city was before it exploded with growth starting with the IBM influx in the 60s. The area is venerated because it's usually seen as being more people centric and scaled as such. For enough money (well....a lot of money), one can have a huge house on a great sized lot in a quiet neighborhood within just a couple of miles of DT Raleigh, Crabtree Valley, North Hills, Cameron Village & NC State. For those who can afford it, it's the best of all worlds in Raleigh. Since the 80s, periphery neighborhoods like on the east side of Five Points, Mordecai, Glenwood Brooklyn and Oakwood have been gentrified and/or restored.

While ITB can mean all of the area bounded by the Beltline, it usually means the NW quadrant of the area from NC State to Capital Boulevard and inclusive of all DT immediate neighborhoods.

Since attending NC State, I was bitten by the ITB bug and have made my home there ever since. I've lived in an old apartment near Meredith, the "Bishop's Park" area and now the western side of Glenwood South. If I wanted a single family home, I wouldn't go far from where I am by looking just across Peace Street in Glenwood Brooklyn.
Yep...this hits the nail right on the head

Old 06-06-2014, 08:53 AM

449 posts, read 699,997 times
Quote:

Since attending NC State, I was bitten by the ITB bug and have made my home there ever since. I've lived in an old apartment near Meredith, the "Bishop's Park" area and now the western side of Glenwood South. If I wanted a single family home, I wouldn't go far from where I am by looking just across Peace Street in Glenwood Brooklyn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
There are still deals to be had inside the belt line. You just need a GOOD realtor that knows this area REALLY REALLY well, and patience. I have seen houses on my street go very low and very high…all based on who is paying attention (sellers and buyers). We are all still a little upset with one of our neighbors who priced their house VERY low…and it sold in 24 hours. Are you going to be able to get a deal on one of the newly finished McMAnsions? Of course not…they need to get their money back. But there are some amazing old houses on huge lots that go for way less than they should….you will need to do some up fit…but it will be worth it. The bones on most of these houses are way better than the new construction.
Both posts are on the money

We had a good realtor who knows and lives in one of the old neighborhoods... He also educated us on the pros and cons of living in an historic (read: really old) house, and showed us what our money would get us elsewhere in the city. His efforts really helped us feel we made an educated decision when we ended up in a home soon to see its 100th birthday. Love the house, love the neighborhood. Can't say that enough

It's not for everyone, living in an old close neighborhood, but that's okay. That's why Raleigh and the Triangle have a choice of places for folks having differing priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary