U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 17,531 times

Advertisements

We are one year out from relocating to the Triangle. Is it too early to begin talking to realtors? We will not be purchasing until close to relocation. But I am feeling like I need to have someone to ask questions to regarding areas for housing/schools.

I read A LOT on these forums... never posted-- but I gain a lot of info from you all. Still, to have someone local to ask questions seems important. I am actually originally from the area, but its been over 12 years since I lived there and so much has changed. (Plus I had no kids back then...)

Do I need to have a different realtor for different areas? As I have read in this forum, the area is way too expansive for any ONE realtor to know everything.

We are currently looking at Chatham Co/Orange County. I also think I would love Hillsborough.(Maybe that is in one of those counties?) Maybe Pittsboro too. Also I may consider areas close to downtown Durham or Raleigh, but I have not done enough research on costs/crime/schools.

I am not overly thrilled with the idea of living in a created development (what do you call those things-- the named neighborhoods? housing development does not sound right) but it does seem as though it offers families wonderful amenities and easy friendships. We are moving from a traditional neighborhood in NH, which happens to have many kids around...so I know what a blessing that is for a family. And since we will likely be giving up an easy walk to a 'downtown'... it's the next best thing?

Mixed feelings about everything...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:14 PM

129 posts, read 160,017 times
Where in NH? You're gonna love love love the change in weather!

Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 PM

74 posts, read 105,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nh-to-nc View Post
We are one year out from relocating to the Triangle. Is it too early to begin talking to realtors? We will not be purchasing until close to relocation. But I am feeling like I need to have someone to ask questions to regarding areas for housing/schools.

I read A LOT on these forums... never posted-- but I gain a lot of info from you all. Still, to have someone local to ask questions seems important. I am actually originally from the area, but its been over 12 years since I lived there and so much has changed. (Plus I had no kids back then...)

Do I need to have a different realtor for different areas? As I have read in this forum, the area is way too expansive for any ONE realtor to know everything.

We are currently looking at Chatham Co/Orange County. I also think I would love Hillsborough.(Maybe that is in one of those counties?) Maybe Pittsboro too. Also I may consider areas close to downtown Durham or Raleigh, but I have not done enough research on costs/crime/schools.

I am not overly thrilled with the idea of living in a created development (what do you call those things-- the named neighborhoods? housing development does not sound right) but it does seem as though it offers families wonderful amenities and easy friendships. We are moving from a traditional neighborhood in NH, which happens to have many kids around...so I know what a blessing that is for a family. And since we will likely be giving up an easy walk to a 'downtown'... it's the next best thing?

Mixed feelings about everything...

Maybe you're talking about the term "subdivision"? Otherwise I'm not sure.

That area seems pretty traditional to me, perhaps even more so than other places in terms of having the house and the yard and the dog, and all that. I don't think there's any lack of children or family neighborhoods, either. Unless you live someplace RIGHT in the city where you're literally two feet from downtown, you might be hard pressed NOT to find a family environment.

If you mean one of those hip new living areas where it's got shopping right slammed up next to the houses, then no..not everywhere in the Triangle is like that. It's becoming more common, to be sure, and some people love that type of atmosphere, but it's not "all you can get" as far as I'm aware.

I don't know when the most appropriate time to find a realtor is--I'm in the same boat. I am looking to move back to that area soon (grew up there, spent my childhood) and I have asked the same questions. I can't wait to hear what others say about this, myself.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:01 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,932,292 times
Maybe you are referring to "planned community"? Much of Cary is just that..

You shouldn't have trouble finding a realtor, the board is crawling with them..

Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 PM

23,146 posts, read 12,428,448 times
Finding a (or multiple, for different areas) Realtor is one step, a very important step, just as pre-qualifying with a lender is. They're the FIRST steps to take, when we operate under the assumption that employment is either taken care of or unimportant.

And you should probably get prequalified first, as you might find different agents for different price ranges as well.

I don't ever have any problem with a client who wants me to be one of 2, maybe 3 agents, all working on different areas (let's say one for Wake, one for Durham, and one for Orange/Chatham counties, as an example). I think it's entirely reasonable for us to expect you to be upfront about that potential need though. And personally, if I were in your shoes I think I'd avoid anyone who insisted it was all or nothing.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:55 PM

74 posts, read 105,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Finding a (or multiple, for different areas) Realtor is one step, a very important step, just as pre-qualifying with a lender is. They're the FIRST steps to take, when we operate under the assumption that employment is either taken care of or unimportant.

And you should probably get prequalified first, as you might find different agents for different price ranges as well.

I don't ever have any problem with a client who wants me to be one of 2, maybe 3 agents, all working on different areas (let's say one for Wake, one for Durham, and one for Orange/Chatham counties, as an example). I think it's entirely reasonable for us to expect you to be upfront about that potential need though. And personally, if I were in your shoes I think I'd avoid anyone who insisted it was all or nothing.
Hey, good advice..I was wondering about this. What if you use a realtor in a particular area and never end up buying a house there? Do realtors make money on commission only, or is it more of a half-and-half sort of thing?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:33 PM

38,803 posts, read 67,140,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlonthewing View Post
Hey, good advice..I was wondering about this. What if you use a realtor in a particular area and never end up buying a house there? Do realtors make money on commission only, or is it more of a half-and-half sort of thing?
Unless you pay a retainer, and nearly no one does, the agent gets paid a commission at closing.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:50 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,306,093 times
There are different realtors for different price points and different areas.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 PM

17,494 posts, read 23,182,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Unless you pay a retainer, and nearly no one does, the agent gets paid a commission at closing.
And sometimes when they refer you to the realtor who closes your deal. That referral can be from out of state, international or local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary