Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:59 AM

266 posts, read 590,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDales View Post
OK, I need some help. My husband and i intend to move to the Raleigh area around june after our new baby is born. I need some help deifining what areas i should be looking for a home in. This will be our fist home purchase and my husband is carpenter, we need a home that is not necissarily top of the line (since we dont mind fixing one up a bit) but in a decent nieghborhood for a couple in thier 20's and a new baby. We like older homes with alot of character. I have heard of an area that the city is "revitalizing" does anyone know about this? We are looking in the range of 70,000 to 100,000 detached, no condos or town houses. Can anyone help us? No really high crime areas but we arent exactly looking for something upscale either just comfortable.
www.hud.gov, click HUD homes, Search by City, Raleigh. Be wary of SE Raleigh. You might find something you can negotiate 100K with in the NE Raleigh area. Gonna be small, like 3/2. You said outside city so Knightdale, Garner, Clayton, etc may be a possibility

Right now doesn't look like much. Sometimes the list explodes each time it's refreshed (weekly?). Look every week. Also:

http://www.foreclosurenet.net/search...NC&county=Wake

This one you have to subscribe to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 8,568 times
sorry, im new to this, what is p.m.?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:07 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,513,569 times
pm= private message

Old 12-14-2007, 12:19 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,683,737 times
Default System will notify you when you get a pm

Quote:
sorry, im new to this, what is p.m.?
Hi -
They now call them "direct messages". Look in the upper right hand corner of your screen, you'll see 'Direct Messages:' in blue, underlined, with "unread" after that, which is usually "0", until a message comes in. Click on "Direct Messages" and that will take you to the screen with the message. You can read and reply through that same screen.

Holler if you need help I know, it takes a while to get the hang of all of this.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:01 PM

68 posts, read 180,360 times
Default Nice towns

You want to stay in up an coming areas so that you can be in a great area and still have a nice home. Towns like Clayton, Wendell, Zebulon, Knightdale are good places to start searching. Some parts of these towns are expensive, but a good portion of them are not.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:33 PM

43,250 posts, read 77,010,637 times
Quote:
Thanks, i appreciate the advice. There has got to be something though, i find hundreds and hundreds of homes that seem decent online within that range, they can't all be in the in terrible neighborhoods. At least i hope not...
There are homes around, for sure.
One of my major concerns is that folks look at stuff in rural areas, foreclosures that convey "as-is" and don't allow for major items like well and septic issues.
Foreclosures can be a bargain or a nightmare. Pretty much a nightmare unless you have enough cash to make it habitable, most of the time.

What area do you really need to be in for his work?

Would you consider a manufactured home to be detached and get a nice piece of property?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:35 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,967,999 times
Knightdale, Smithfield, Clayton or other areas east of Raleigh have decent homes still available at affordable prices. To get <$100,000 will take some searching and you may need to work with a Realtor experienced in foreclosures.

That being said I just financed the purchase of an $85,000 HUD home in Smithfield. Nice little home with some land in a good subdivision. They were also in the home repair field and there are a few projects to do, but no major repairs just upgrades. It took them a while, but don't lose hope and find a good Realtor who is willing to work for you.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:55 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,560,940 times
My client just did a lease/option on a really cute brick ranch that an agent went in and flipped for 99,900. I had an inspector go in there, and it had no issues with even a new roof. Cute as a button, and nice size lot. So it can be done, just needs som digging to unveil it.

Good Luck

Old 12-15-2007, 07:47 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,149,278 times
Try Brentwood. Not too bad and you can find fixer uppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary