Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:38 PM

171 posts, read 197,769 times

Advertisements

What's typical for the operation of these pools? (Hours, presence of lifeguards, rules, etc.)

My assumption is that you (and your guests) have access to your HOA's pool without additional fees, but that a community or neighborhood pool is one not run by an HOA and you pay a small fee each time or for a season pass. Is that correct?

If you live in an HOA community, is it not possible to go for an early morning or late night swim?

This probably sounds stupid, but I'm just curious: can you have your own pool in an HOA community that has a pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 02:56 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Someone started a thread about this not long ago and the answers varied.

Our pool opens mid-May and until traditional school gets out is open 4 pm - 8pm. Once school gets out it's open daily 10-8:30. We have lifeguards.

We have early morning swim but as there is no lifeguard at that time you have to sign a waiver provided by the HOA. I believe it is 6-8 a.m. Same if you want to have a function after hours, although no swimming would be allowed as we do not have lights.

Rules will also differ - at ours you can go without a parent once you're 11, that's also the age you don't have to take a "deep water test"; you can have floats and stuff in the pool. No glass or ceramic in the pool enclosure, period, no smoking.

You can have a pool in our community, but there are minimum lot requirements. As far as I know there are only two people with pools. One person house a huge yard and can easily accommodate the pool. The other, the pool takes up the whole yard, and they must have been grandfathered in somehow and on top of that I have never, ever, ever heard or seen anyone in that pool - ever.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:12 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
Hoa pool hours differ, policies on guests differ. Some accept people outside the hoa with a limit when they stop selling those memberships. Most I know of won't allow a guest in without the resident with them. Some you register the guest at the desk, some not. Some allow a guest so many times before they have to pay.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:08 AM

703 posts, read 780,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Someone started a thread about this not long ago and the answers varied.
Yes, I had started that thread. Here it is:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ity-pools.html

Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 AM

Sorry for the double thread on this topic. I scanned through the titles, but should have done a search.

Thanks for the replies and to Thr3stripe for the thread link!

Old 07-05-2015, 12:56 PM

The one question you had that was different was "... can you have your own pool in an HOA community that has a pool?" I know that there are several private pools in our neighborhood, even though there is a community pool.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
The one question you had that was different was "... can you have your own pool in an HOA community that has a pool?" I know that there are several private pools in our neighborhood, even though there is a community pool.
My hunch was that there would be a lot of restrictions with community pools, and after reading your thread, it looks like there are a bunch. I was afraid of that, and that's why I added the question about whether it's possible to have your own within those communities.

I'm sure most of the rules work for most of the people and it's a wonderful thing to have within their HOA, and it's a great hands-off amenity. But, I've been dreaming of early morning and late night swims, and having fun with visiting family, and being able to use the pool pretty much the minute the water is warm enough until it's just too cold! So, I'm guessing all of the restrictions would eventually be more of a hassle for us than having a community pool would be a benefit. Combine that with the ick factor of the recent reports of nasty stuff in public pools (it seems like the media is hell bent on grossing us out with as many stories as they can on this topic this summer! I've never seen so many.)...leads me to believe we might be better off with one of our own. Something to think about, for sure!

Old 07-05-2015, 04:17 PM

Yeah, when I read all the restrictions on our HOA pool, all I can think about is to just put up a sign that says "Anything remotely fun is strictly prohibited."

Old 07-05-2015, 08:17 PM

Haha That sign would capture the spirit!

Do you think they're worth the fees?

If you had it to do over again, would you opt for an HOA with a pool, or having your own pool (HOA or not)?

Old 07-06-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmK999 View Post
Haha That sign would capture the spirit!

Do you think they're worth the fees?

If you had it to do over again, would you opt for an HOA with a pool, or having your own pool (HOA or not)?
I think those who get the most out of the HOA pools are 1) families with small kids and 2) adults who enjoy lap swimming. For a housing plan with ~ 200 homes, there's rarely a time where more than 2 or 3 families are at our HOA pool during the week (at the same time), and more than 4-5 simultaneous families on hot weekends. Despite my prior sarcasm ("no fun allowed"), I do get the fear of liability for an HOA. But to me, a pool is just not much fun without a deeper section and diving board. And I get it - that's what increases the risk of accidents too.

In the end, I do think the HOA pools are worth the fees - even if you don't utilize the pool much (I'm assuming the pool fees are mandatory and part of the HOA fees). In my opinion, a community pool does increase the overall home value in such neighborhoods enough to justify the fees paid.

Night-time usage is another pet peeve of HOA pools though. Apparently, Wake Co. has strict rules on night-time public pools. I generally think it would be great to be able to do night swimming in a lighted pool. I do it when I rent a condo at any number of beaches. They become nice social gathering spots for adults, after dark.

Personal pools are a nice luxury to have, and you're free to do what you want there. However, they do require a decent amount of maintenance that not everyone is willing to do. They can also be great social gathering spots for friends - but you've got to be up for that too. Always being the host for your kids's friends and keeping a watchful eye on their safety can be time-consuming. But I do know folks who have their own pools and just love hosting things at their home regularly. They're simply great at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary