Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 09:00 AM

11 posts, read 28,559 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. Just found out we may have to relocate to the Raleigh area by August 1. Given the short time frame and our unfamiliarity with the area, I am doing a deep dive trying to figure out where to live without being able to go there to check it out. Not easy to do though we did it with a relo from Rochester to Geneva, Ill. The sticky part is that I have an eighth grader and h.s. junior who will need to start school later in August. So wherever we pick to rent needs to be where we stay since it will be hard enough to put them through this change. Can't ask them to change again when I find a town we like better. I am still trying to understand the school assignment process (only learned of the move a week ago) and how that will play into things. Obviously good schools are important. My junior is set to take AP courses next year so a school that offers those would be important.

So . . . after all of that I am wondering if anyone from the Rochester, NY, or western Chicago 'burbs area can offer some insight. I know Raleigh is different from the North and the Midwest. I am getting that suburban sprawl is everywhere. But I am hoping when I say we are looking for an area kind of like Fairport, NY or Geneva, IL, someone knows what I am talking about and can say, "You might find XYZ to be like that" or "Nope, nothing like that here."

My husband's job would be just north of 440 and east of 70. He's fine with a commute of up to 30 minutes given his commute now can be well over an hour each way.

Thanks to anybody who responds. It is much appreciated. This is not the ideal way to relocate but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 12:53 PM

579 posts, read 521,620 times
Note from either of those places but familiar enough. Look into Wake Forest.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
I grew up in the Chicago Burbs and am somewhat familiar with Geneva. You won't find anything quite like Geneva. Hillsborough would be similar, but its a bit far for you, and a bit more granola in its feel, but again, too far for you. You would probably like Wake Forest, Holly Springs, or Apex, but I have to ask, in order to better answer your question, what specifically do you like about Geneva?

Old 06-09-2014, 10:53 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Realize that there is a different vibe in the area as compared to places like Fairport. It's how you accommodate the difference that will make your move successful. It's fairly built up around here and to me the serenity/countryside of what you find just outside of downtown Fairport is hard to find within a reasonable drive of where you husband will be based for work. Get a good RE agent...I'm sure they can pinpoint some areas for you.

Most of the suburbs have downtown areas similar in size to Fairport. I'm not too familiar with the area that your husband will be working, but the Wake Forest area has a lot to offer and is on that side of town and would be a great place to start researching.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Thank you all. I really appreciate the insight. I keep coming back to Wake Forest on my own, too. Though Cary would be a shorter commute for my husband, I think. I just feel like Cary is monstrous (more of a Naperville feel than a Geneva one). JONOV, I like Geneva's size, to me it feels more New England than most of the Chicago area (I am a CT native), the active downtown core (lots of restaurants and shops; there are always folks strolling downtown), and the strong school community.

Would the commute to Raleigh (just north of 440 and east of 70) be terribly long from WF?

Thanks, again.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:34 PM

119 posts, read 178,150 times
Hi - We came from just south of Rochester (Cdga) and we settled on the Wake Forest/Rolesville town line area (the new section of Heritage)....I drive 401 to 440 and work on 70 just north of 440 so I am familiar with the commute from the WF area......it is about 37 mins or so on an avg day - sometimes it can take 50 mins and sometimes when all things are aligned perfectly it can take 30 mins to get back and forth. As a native of WNY for my whole life before I moved here - here are my observations.....the weather here (I haven't lived through a summer yet!) is about 50x better than WNY for fall, winter, spring. That is if you like it warmer! We like hot and humid weather and had gotten so we hated, hated, hated snow, cold and gray so for us that has been a huge positive. It is much sunnier here overall and you don't get days and days of gray weather. With that said it is much, much different than Rochester and Fairport in particular. I would say the closest to Fairport here would be either Wake Forest or Apex. However you have to remember there is not the "water" presence there is in WNY with the Great Lakes, the Finger Lakes, the canal and the river. So there are no cute small towns in the Triangle with nice waterfronts like Fairport. It is very spread out here and there is to me a great deal of suburban sprawl. The traffic is far, far, far worse than anything I had driven in - but you get used to it. Some of the positives are the growing, strong economy, everyone is very friendly and in our neighborhood - very neighborly. The job market is strong, there are miles and miles and MILES of greenway trails for outdoor recreation. The sun shines, the spring flowering trees were beautiful, soon the Crepe Myrtles will be putting on their show and I hear they are beautiful as well! All in all it has been a great move for us and a place we hope to live for many years! If you have more questions, feel free to PM me!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:19 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Keep in mind that the sprawl is nothing like it is in Chicago. Geneva is ~1:40 minutes to downtown Chicago. 1:40 from my apartment in DT Raleigh can usually put me in Winston Salem or Greenville or Virginia. Most of Raleigh was built from the 70's on up. I would look towards Wake Forest, Holly Springs, Apex, or possibly Fuquay, but you won't find what anything quite like Geneva. Depending on budget, ITB Raleigh would come closest to providing the feel that you're looking for.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Thank you all! I appreciate the responses so much. I found out my husband's wok is actually in Morrisville. Since we do not have the luxury of time (have too be down there Aug.1), I am trying to get a few areas to focus on when we visit in July. We will need to very quickly secure temp housing and my priority is that we pick well so that my high school junior is in a good school. Is it accurate that if when we purchase a home it is in a different area, she can stay at that school she starts at this August? Assuming we can provide transportation? Will her sibling be able follow or would she have to go to the school assigned to the new address?

Old 11-18-2014, 03:44 PM

4 posts, read 5,637 times
Default How did the move go?

Hello - curious to find out how your move went and your overall impressions of Raleigh. I live near Geneva, IL and know exactly what you are talking about - we also are thinking of relocating to the area and wondering if you found a similar place.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary