Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:51 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,472,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
There are many very good pages on Facebook with lots of info on fracking that is useful. The ones I know of are as follows. Please don't discount ones that are not based in NC as they all have valuable info, particularly if they are further along in the process than we are (another state where it's already happening or about to). Experience is the best teacher.

Say no to fracking in NC
Don't frack North Carolina - Citizens say no to fracking in NC
Coalition against fracking in Western North Carolina
Lee county NC says NO to fracking
Clean water for North Carolina
Stand your ground NC W/ed harris against fracking
Frack action
American against fracking
FANG: fighting against natural gas
Occupy the Hollers
IPA ban fracking Illinois
Protect Starved Rock and the Illinois Valley from fracking and mining
Frackfree America National Coalition
Frack sand mining medical impacts
Tar sand blockade
Ecowatch

There's three parts to this to all be aware of; fracking, pipelines, and sand mining. I think we will be impacted by all three in this state and none are w/out risks and environmental & health impacts..

I have family in NEPA and watched the devastation all unfold up there, plus three w/in one family died w/in a year and a half of each other (my brother, his wife and their son). It's heard to believe there isn't a relationship to the pollution involved in this as one was respiratory and two had leukemia. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just share the reality of what we're in for.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Are you willing to share where they were living and what you believe they were exposed to that caused the deaths? And when you say they were "in NEPA" what do you mean by that? Isn't NEPA the national environmental policy act?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 05:59 AM

9,772 posts, read 15,771,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. Are you willing to share where they were living and what you believe they were exposed to that caused the deaths? And when you say they were "in NEPA" what do you mean by that? Isn't NEPA the national environmental policy act?
NEPA is Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:10 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,153,844 times
There will never be clean or free energy for the masses, its not profitable or controllable. Solar: how much is the equipment? How long does it last? Thats the point....

No one will repeal this law. Also you can setup all the internet/facebook pages you want because they simply dont care.
This is the unfortunate reality. I have not heard of a single state that has rejected fracking if there was shale in the state.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:04 AM

449 posts, read 699,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
There will never be clean or free energy for the masses, its not profitable or controllable. Solar: how much is the equipment? How long does it last? Thats the point....

No one will repeal this law. Also you can setup all the internet/facebook pages you want because they simply dont care.
This is the unfortunate reality. I have not heard of a single state that has rejected fracking if there was shale in the state.
Well... We do have an election this November.

This GA has taken local control of many issues away from us, at the behest of either their donors or ideology.

There is a difference between investigating whether or not it's right for NC, and actively using our tax money to promote it. We have a neighbor who is on the commission looking into fracking here. Says they were completely ignored, all decisions were classic back room deals.

Could pushing fracking down our collective throats be the last straw?

Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,336,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
Well... We do have an election this November.

This GA has taken local control of many issues away from us, at the behest of either their donors or ideology.

There is a difference between investigating whether or not it's right for NC, and actively using our tax money to promote it. We have a neighbor who is on the commission looking into fracking here. Says they were completely ignored, all decisions were classic back room deals.

Could pushing fracking down our collective throats be the last straw?
What about the promises that were made that regulations would be in place, they would be strict and that an additional vote would take place. Perhaps with a switch in the GA we could see these promises upheld. I also believe another moratorium could be placed. As we see by this new law, they can do anything...if they want to!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post

I also agree that it will take more than internet objections to stop this. It will take a group or person with money/power. That is why I am curious how Preston Development Corp will react to drilling in Chatham since their new development is intended to be the owner's legacy. I want the corporations in RTP to get nervous about their drinking water since they are on or close to shale. We also need a governor and GA that are not so closely tied to the energy companies because they are certainly not acting with the best interests of the people they represent.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:20 PM

11,218 posts, read 8,288,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I also agree that it will take more than internet objections to stop this. It will take a group or person with money/power. That is why I am curious how Preston Development Corp will react to drilling in Chatham since their new development is intended to be the owner's legacy. I want the corporations in RTP to get nervous about their drinking water since they are on or close to shale. We also need a governor and GA that are not so closely tied to the energy companies because they are certainly not acting with the best interests of the people they represent.
In concept, this is the general solution. Money trumps all, so the way to make any changes is via the money source.

When developers can't develop
When businesses can't grow
When politicians can't raise funds

THEN it will get some attention. Good intentions and being right don't carry nearly the weight....

Old 06-15-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
In concept, this is the general solution. Money trumps all, so the way to make any changes is via the money source.

When developers can't develop
When businesses can't grow
When politicians can't raise funds

THEN it will get some attention. Good intentions and being right don't carry nearly the weight....
I am hoping for the third one, as well as when the politicians supporting fracking can't get any votes, to happen!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:55 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,304,515 times
Politicians will always be able to raise funds, thanks to Citizens United.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:34 AM

9 posts, read 6,667 times
I'm all for job creation, energy independence, economic development and all that good stuff. But not at the expense of potentially contaminating our ground water with unknown chemicals. We definitely should not trust energy companies to be responsible enough to practice environmental stewardship. We know how they sweep stuff under the rug when its going to cost them money. They are all about making a profit. So dont expect them to put a lot of effort into protecting our ground water during their drilling and after they leave... because that will cost them money. Why would they waste time practicing this when they have more profits waiting on them at the next location. The EPA cant be counted on to police them. The Duke Energy coal ash incident proved that we cant count on the EPA to oversee things. It amazes me how some people try to sell the fact that it will create jobs. What if it creates cancer in residents or birth defects in babies of rural communities? It probably would be hard to prove or link to fracking since the chemicals are unknown. It smells fishy to me. The potential risks are just not worth it in my book. I'm just tired of these big companies having their way with legislation and getting laws passed in their favor because they have the money to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary