Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:54 PM

133 posts, read 280,638 times

Advertisements

^ Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 PM

715 posts, read 888,967 times
Crack forces shutdown of nuclear reactor at Shearon Harris :: WRAL.com

There are precautions you can take such as having Iodine pills on hand from Anbex.com as my current batch expires in 2020 and hopefully we never get word to use them.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Most places in the greater DC/NoVA/MD area are greater than 50 miles from any nuclear power plant - the benefits of expensive real estate!
There's a nuclear power plant in Westchester County, NY. Wealth is hardly the criteria for where they build them.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:40 PM

715 posts, read 888,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There's a nuclear power plant in Westchester County, NY. Wealth is hardly the criteria for where they build them.
Indian Head was formed back in '62 under Con ED and to quote"The more you learn about Indian Point, the more you know it must close"
Robert Kennedy Jr. .

The wealthy residents of LI were able to shut down Brookhaven but the Hudson Valley blue collar at the time never had a chance.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I imagine cost of the land would be a very important criteria when considering where to build. Regardless, the point of my post is that you can live in NoVA and suburban MD outside DC and be more than 50 miles from a nuclear power plant.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:45 AM

133 posts, read 280,638 times
I know it isn't really possible, but I'm not too keen on 50 miles either!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:01 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
I used to live within 10 miles and never once worried about it. The USA has NEVER had a true Nuclear Disaster. Unlike Chernoble (SP?) and Fukashima, TMI was fully contained and did not present a major risk to it's neighbors.

If you really want to know more about it, look up the IEC61511/ISA84 standard on Safety Instrumented Systems. It is the industrial standard that all US Nuclear plants are built to, and it is why TMI was a relatively minor problem compared to Chernoble and Fukamshima. (They did not follow the standard, hence the fallout).

I agree with the others that say you should be more worried about Fracking. I'm left-leaning and an environmentalist, but SHNPP is not one of the things that keeps me up at night.

Like Chuckster I'm not sure if I'm for or against nuclear power (like most things, it has pros and cons, and until we have better alternatives, it may be necessary), but I'm just stating my opinion. The amount of risk is very low. Many, many other risks that are much greater.

(FWIW: If it ever did blow, I'd want to be just a couple miles away. Far enough to be able to see the flash and the giant mushroom blast, but close enough to vaporize and not have to suffer the long-term after-effects. But I'm sure those kinds of thoughts are not helpful to mitigating the OP's angst....)

Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
It's not a big deal people. I know it's been mentioned several times, but your distracted neighbor driving his car while texting is more likely to run you off a bridge in the morning then you ever having to deal with a nuclear power plant meltdown. EVEN if...IF it happened, it's a meltdown and not a atomic explosion. Most people would be fine by either leaving as quickly as possible or turning off their HVAC system and relaxing in their house. Having iodine pills on hand would help as well.

I lived in the DC area, wanna talk about being a target...I remember 9/11 all too well with all the news reports that bombs were going off in local buildings and planes were crashing out of the sky into multiple targets. We don't have to deal with that type of hysteria here, being in a less attractive area for terrorists to hit. I would argue another 9/11 in DC/NY area would be a lot more possible than a Nuclear power plant meltdown in the USA. Hopefully neither of those will ever happen (happen again).

Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 AM

181 posts, read 387,369 times
I would not get really worry about it. Because of the negative conotations associated w/ nuclear power they are subject to pretty strict oversight (hence the safety violations being found). I work in the environmental compliance industry and being within 10-20 mile a radius of a nuclear generation plant is generally just as safe as being near a coal fired plant, certain biotech or pharma facilities or various other types of manufacturing.

Not saying that you should not know proper contingencies should something atypical happen but as a previous post mentioned, the plant has been there since the early 80's w/o incident and is subject to regular inspection.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
I went kayaking on Harris Lake Saturday.. I like living dangerously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary