Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 PM

62 posts, read 385,176 times

Advertisements

Recently a poster in one of my very old 'date ideas' threads suggested a tiger rescue place which is an awesome idea that I'll be visiting soon, however how the heck do you find cool places like this?

I know Trip Advisor has a "things to do" section where you can sort by city and look up places.. but they are all obvious, tourist-y type places like museums and universities and things like that... are there any other sites for discovering cool/interesting places around or do you just have to sift through google search results where people on forums recommend stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 04:22 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
I usually have great success with IndyWeek's Calendar:
http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/EventSearch

Pretty much anything that's everything is on there.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:56 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
Durham Magazine & Our State Magazine often have some good ideas in them.... I'm constantly dog-earing pages to go back & check things out. (Yes....I'm probably one of the last few people in the world who read a real, paper magazine ).

On-line, check out the Visitors' Center website. Each week they e-mail out a two week calendar for the area with all types of stuff.

On Facebook there is a page called "Diggin' Durham' that will repost lots of local stuff going on.

Beyond that I sign up for various on-line e-mails from places like Central Park, Tobacco Campus, etc. It can clutter the inbox a bit, but they always have informtion on things going on.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I don't use the internet much for this. I know about the Carolina Tiger Rescue and the Conservators' Center big cat rescue in Mebane through word of mouth.

Our State magazine is a good idea, though. They do have some more off the beaten path suggestions. Their website and app are good, too, if you don't want to go for the paper version.

Roadside America has listings of quirky things to do and see, too. North Carolina Tourist Attractions and Oddities Index

Old 06-12-2014, 07:01 AM

715 posts, read 889,081 times
http://http://www.wral.com/weekend-p...ides/13716867/

Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
WUNC-TV Thursday evenings. Our State, Exploring North Carolina, and North Carolina Weekend are great shows showcasing many wonderful places to visit in our fine state.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:03 AM

84 posts, read 160,133 times
There are a couple local restaurants I go to frequently that have bulletin boards up where people will list random places, event, classes, etc. I also subscribe to a couple local Facebook feeds (like Chatham Culture for things in Chatham County) that will publicize local things to do. I also subscribe to Facebook/Twitter feeds of local businesses or organization that are things I'm interested in (animal/wildlife organizations, arts organizations, etc.). If you find some event/activity you really like, follow them on social media as they will likely lead you to other interesting stuff!

Also, read local papers. Really, I think the best ways to find things to do are just to tune into local websites and places rather than focusing on larger sites "things to do" sites like Trip Advisor.

Here are a few events to possibly add to your list too:
- Shakori Hills Music Festival (next one is in October I think)
- Duke Lemur Center
- Bynum Front Porch Friday Music Series
- Raleigh Maker's Faire (just missed it, not sure if they'll do another one before next year)
- PopUp Chorus in Durham
- NC Botanical Garden (free!)
- Paperhand Puppet Intervention
- Classic movie series at Carolina Theater Durham

Old 06-12-2014, 05:17 PM

54 posts, read 121,314 times
I love Find Parks, Trails, Playgrounds and More at ParkGeek.com - sign up for the newsletter and they send out a weekly email of local events in the area including arts, festivals, park events, etc.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:09 AM

121 posts, read 177,895 times
The official NC tourism site has lots of good info also.

The Official Travel and Tourism Website for North Carolina

Old 06-13-2014, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,085 times
This local startup compiles cool experiences to do (currently in Raleigh and Durham), here are this weekend's recommendations:

https://www.get-offline.com/raleigh/...ecommendations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary