Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 06:44 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,748,556 times

Advertisements

As you might know, we are still looking for a new construction house in west Cary and hoping for a basement (due to work at home and space for taking care of sick family.) This is so difficult because basements are hard to come by in this area.

A lot of the builders do say they can make in- ground basements on more lots than walk-out basements. Would this be a plan B option for us if we can't find a walk-out basement? Any problems finishing this? I know most of my friends in NJ all had in-ground basements but they've all moved to other states now! Also, Im sure the ability to have small windows to make a "daylight" basement would help, correct? And also building a welled exit there for convenience and also safety.

(even in-ground is rare, because there are some neighborhoods like Ashton Woods' Braemore that had absolutely no type of basement on all of their 60 lots)
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 07:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
I wouldn't pay for an in-ground basement to be built here OR for the means to keep it dry. Look for a sloped lot for a walkout basement. Do the builders where you're shopping not have walk-up attics?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:08 AM

Also, that whole area by Braemore (including Weycroft and part of Amberly) used to be a field. That's why there aren't any basements in Braemore. That whole parcel was a field, I believe.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:18 AM

715 posts, read 888,812 times
Yeah a basement here is asking for trouble but hey to each his own. Not West Cary but throw this out there for you. In Apex a place called Covington (beezer Homes) will have 5 new basement homes- you have the option to have it finished or non-finished.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
Keep in mind that when you are buying a new home, you are paying for that basement.

When it is time to sell, the value of that unfinished basement is about $13,000 even though you may have paid triple that!

Old 06-13-2014, 07:23 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
As you might know, we are still looking for a new construction house in west Cary and hoping for a basement (due to work at home and space for taking care of sick family.) This is so difficult because basements are hard to come by in this area.

A lot of the builders do say they can make in- ground basements on more lots than walk-out basements. Would this be a plan B option for us if we can't find a walk-out basement? Any problems finishing this? I know most of my friends in NJ all had in-ground basements but they've all moved to other states now! Also, Im sure the ability to have small windows to make a "daylight" basement would help, correct? And also building a welled exit there for convenience and also safety.

(even in-ground is rare, because there are some neighborhoods like Ashton Woods' Braemore that had absolutely no type of basement on all of their 60 lots)
Not sure why Ashton Woods is not putting basements in Braemore, there are enough hills in that area. Weycroft (which surrounds Braemore has basement lots). The topography is similar.

They have a house on a front cul de sac where the lot is sloped enough that the back of the house is at least 7 ft off the ground. They could easily have dug a couple more feet to put in a walk out basement.

OP, have you looked at Wrenhurst or a new build in Cameron Pond (not sure if they sold all the lots in CP)?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:30 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Keep in mind that when you are buying a new home, you are paying for that basement.

When it is time to sell, the value of that unfinished basement is about $13,000 even though you may have paid triple that!
Very good point, typically $15/sq. ft. for unfinished basement space on appraisal. Costs quite a bit more to build than that. If you are weather risk averse, it does make for a nice place to hide from tornadoes

Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Not sure why Ashton Woods is not putting basements in Braemore, there are enough hills in that area. Weycroft (which surrounds Braemore has basement lots). The topography is similar.

They have a house on a front cul de sac where the lot is sloped enough that the back of the house is at least 7 ft off the ground. They could easily have dug a couple more feet to put in a walk out basement.

OP, have you looked at Wrenhurst or a new build in Cameron Pond (not sure if they sold all the lots in CP)?
They seem to be around the perimeter in Weycroft, though. Which makes sense when you consider how fields drain.

I guess Braemore might have a few spots where they could put walkouts. I have only been by there once to glance at the layout of the neighborhood.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:52 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
I don't know why people would want basements except for a hide-out during storms. Speaking as someone who currently owns a home that has a basement, I'd much rather have above ground space. We're always battling moisture. You could do what you're talking about upstairs as well as downstairs, no?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:53 AM

715 posts, read 888,812 times
Not sure I am allowed to say this but the finished basements go for $79K vs. $35K for unfinished to give you some perspective on what it's going to cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary