Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:22 PM

17 posts, read 26,824 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend an academically challenging Christian school in the Cary area? We are moving to the area and I am having a difficult time comparing the options without first-hand experience or referrals. My child is only going to be in Kindergarten (actually, Transitional Kindergarten if they have it), but I would like to start him off at the right place!

I prefer classical education, and I know that Trinity Academy (North Raleigh) and Cary Christian Academy both offer classical education. Can anyone comment on the overall quality of these schools, both as it relates to Christian values and also academic rigor? I have also heard good things about Trinity Academy of Durham Chapel Hill and Grace Academy in Raleigh, but I know very little about these schools.

We will be living in Cary, just east of the 540. Of course proximity is an important factor, but I am willing to drive a little further for a better education for the kids.

Thanks so much! (I am so grateful for this board! It has helped so much to give us information we have needed through this move!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 06:37 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
I have no experience with the school but there is also Grace Christian Academy in Cary that you can research. They do offer a transitional year.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:55 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
"Academically Competitive Christian." Which parts need to be competitive - the academics or the Christianity?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
"Academically Competitive Christian." Which parts need to be competitive - the academics or the Christianity?
It won't let me give you another rep point so soon...but you are spot on.

Some of the Catholic schools in the area are quite good....but I must say I haven't been too impressed with the students I've met from the competitive christian schools.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Bwha-ha-ha, CHT!

Back to your question, MrsMikey, I have heard vague good things about Cresset Christian in Durham from a friend whose nieces and nephews went there, but no first hand experience. We're not religious.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Certainly not the biology courses...

Old 06-14-2014, 03:30 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
You might investigate St. David's and St. Timothy's in Raleigh (North Hills area). Both are classical in approach and quite strong academically. Both are Christian but neither is what you might call "fundamentalist" or aggressively evangelical (distinctions that would evidently be lost on some of the people who have responded here to your question).

Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 PM

34 posts, read 139,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Certainly not the biology courses...
Care to elaborate on that? Not quite sure what you're implying, but interested to hear your explanation.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:31 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRoad View Post
Care to elaborate on that? Not quite sure what you're implying, but interested to hear your explanation.
I think he's referring to the teaching of creationism vs evolution. But, that's off-topic if we venture further into it.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 623,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMikeyT View Post
Can anyone recommend an academically challenging Christian school in the Cary area? We are moving to the area and I am having a difficult time comparing the options without first-hand experience or referrals. My child is only going to be in Kindergarten (actually, Transitional Kindergarten if they have it), but I would like to start him off at the right place!

I prefer classical education, and I know that Trinity Academy (North Raleigh) and Cary Christian Academy both offer classical education. Can anyone comment on the overall quality of these schools, both as it relates to Christian values and also academic rigor? I have also heard good things about Trinity Academy of Durham Chapel Hill and Grace Academy in Raleigh, but I know very little about these schools.

We will be living in Cary, just east of the 540. Of course proximity is an important factor, but I am willing to drive a little further for a better education for the kids.

Thanks so much! (I am so grateful for this board! It has helped so much to give us information we have needed through this move!)
Trinity is extremely strong. Several of our neighbors have children attending. The graduating students are able to get into top schools and do extremely well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary