Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:16 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm sure a lot of this perception is dependent on where you are from.

And as others have said, you get what you give. Some of the people on these threads (not sure if it's this one, or the one bashing Raleigh in the Lucky 32 thread) are the same ones who are sour-puss's on this forum too. If that's what they project, then it should not be a surprise that is what they attract.

I smile at people, find things to say hello about if they seem outgoing, and generally interact with a smile on my face. 91.26% of the time my interactions are pleasant. The bad ones are a strong minority. (Not just Cary, but wherever I go; Triangle, NC, USA, Abroad.)

Anyway, to the OP. Cary, like just about anywhere else is what you make of it. What is statistically true is it's a safe place, and very suburban. There are places to go after 6PM, but it's (generally) not a walkable town. If you are looking for a little more action, then DT Raleigh or Durham is more likely for you. (Abbey Road, Doherty's, and Train Station are just a few of the many places where you can go get a beer after 10 or 11 or 12 and have someone to talk to at the bar.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 07:03 AM

282 posts, read 820,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenmariern24 View Post
Thinking about possibly relocating to Cary from Pittsburgh. My husband is a software developer and there are tons of job opportunities for him. Combine that with the warmer weather and the fact that we would be able to afford a beautiful home for the fraction of the cost, it seems like a no brainer. After a quick google search, it's clear that this area is filled with relocated families.

I have to question whether it's too good to be true!

1) Do you find most residents love living there and plan on staying long-term?
In my limited experience, yes. I moved from NY seven years ago and never want to leave. One of the most stark differences is the landscaping. Cary seems to put a lot of effort in ensuring a great look regardless of what road you drive down. It feels as though trees are everywhere and there is no place to shop, but you can expect to find all the typical big box locations hidden behind the trees.

Quote:
2) Considering that this area has experienced fast growth, are there problems with overcrowded schools and roads?
This is definitely a relative question. Compared to what I experienced on Long Island there is no traffic, but I am starting to notice higher levels of traffic especially during rush hour. The large number of transplants also means many different driving styles which can be very frustrating.

I can't speak to the schools.

Quote:
3) Does this area have a unique character/ charm/ soul to it? Is it just development after development with a bunch of big-box retail thrown in, or is there a 'real' main street with mom and pop shops and sidewalks?
Both! There is a lot of new development with a lot of big-box retail and chain restaurants. These new shopping plazas can eclipse the towns character. There is a downtown area, but compared to other small town main streets I've experienced I would consider it poor. We barely ever go down there just to walk the street unless there is some type of event going on.

If you search it out you will find a lot of charm and soul. It's dispersed around Cary, but it exists. We constantly look up new places to eat and have yet to try every local joint. The events the town throws are great fun bringing in entertainment, local artists and crafts, local food, etc. We love utilizing the great town amenities like the greenways, the parks, tennis center etc. Last Saturday I spent my morning walking the greenways and watching people/families renting kayaks on bond lake.

Cary does have some theater and shows available, but we often venture to DPAC for a slightly more NYC experience. Cary doesn't seem to have much of a night life, if it exists I haven't found it, no strip of bars or clubs to be found. Cary does seem to be more family friendly. Luckily you are within driving distance of both Raleigh and Durham which can fill in the gaps.

Quote:
4) Do you find the people have an elitist attitude? I spoke to girl who moved here from Cary recently and while she said she liked the area, she also said she felt everyone was always trying to outdo their neighbors (i.e. better granite countertops, nicer car, bigger pool, etc). I realize this would really vary in different neighborhoods, just trying to get an overall vibe of this town
Depends on the subdivision/person. I wouldn't worry about it, just don't get involved. Most people take pride in their homes, but won't throw it in your face.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for your replies
=)
Hope I helped.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 AM

715 posts, read 888,881 times
Cary is a great place but it has to work for you since the area is primarily populated with parents raising a family and is geared towards that population just like most towns here.

I would tell you to visit multiple times and do not commit until a year of renting and you can get your feet wet in the area to see if this will work. Don't let other people's opinion's steer you one way or another and make up your own mind.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:57 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,013 times
Quote:
Thinking about possibly relocating to Cary from Pittsburgh. My husband is a software developer and there are tons of job opportunities for him. Combine that with the warmer weather and the fact that we would be able to afford a beautiful home for the fraction of the cost, it seems like a no brainer. After a quick google search, it's clear that this area is filled with relocated families.

I have to question whether it's too good to be true!

1) Do you find most residents love living there and plan on staying long-term?

2) Considering that this area has experienced fast growth, are there problems with overcrowded schools and roads?

3) Does this area have a unique character/ charm/ soul to it? Is it just development after development with a bunch of big-box retail thrown in, or is there a 'real' main street with mom and pop shops and sidewalks?

4) Do you find the people have an elitist attitude? I spoke to girl who moved here from Cary recently and while she said she liked the area, she also said she felt everyone was always trying to outdo their neighbors (i.e. better granite countertops, nicer car, bigger pool, etc). I realize this would really vary in different neighborhoods, just trying to get an overall vibe of this town

Thanks in advance for your replies
=)
I've only been here a short time. Just moved from NY. DH and I visited the area 3x before making the move - and it took me forever to decide given the fact that I love NY, but felt pushed out due to cost of living. We are renting first, which gives us the flexibility of moving elsewhere if this doesn't work out.

1) I think in general, people like it here. But there are a lot of people moving in and out. If you sign up for Redfin alerts, you won't believe how many homes come on the market in Cary on a daily basis.

2) from what I have heard, schools are VERY over-crowded. Traffic is no where near as bad as in NY. Rush hour doesn't last 3-4 hours.

3) Cary IMO has no charm. It's very "Stepford Wife" if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, it is lovely here. But every shopping center is red brick, most housing developments are nice, but there is no unique character that I can see. Chapel Hill however does have a lot of historic buildings and charm.

4) I haven't been here long enough to answer this one - but most people that we have encountered so far are very friendly.

good luck.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:30 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
I've lived in Cary for 18 years and still don't get the Stepford wives references. I see people actively engaged with activities of all sorts. As far as redbrick shopping centers...sure, there are some and they are similar per town codes. They look NICE and nowhere near as ugly as a strip mall on LI for instance.

I'll use High House road as an example since I've lived near it all of my time in Cary. Brick fronts and metal roofs were the requirement during the growth of the 90's. Looks a helluva lot better than the unrestricted growth of previous decades. 2000's construction, Cornerstone for example, is stucco and stone mix. Very nice, very elegant. The shopping center over by Ruth's Chris and Bonefish grill is equally as nice.

Due to growth, there are a lot of new areas sprouting up. Without building restrictions on appearance we'd look like Newark NJ!

Last edited by C_Lan; 06-19-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
I have great friends in Cary. It used to be that folks you met were pretty quick to get Cary out of their mouths, as if to impress. Not so much anymore, or maybe I just don't notice.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:54 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I have great friends in Cary. It used to be that folks you met were pretty quick to get Cary out of their mouths, as if to impress. Not so much anymore, or maybe I just don't notice.
That's actually ironic since no one I know (in NY) has ever heard of Cary. I always got the blank look followed by "where?"

Old 06-19-2014, 10:15 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
That's actually ironic since no one I know (in NY) has ever heard of Cary. I always got the blank look followed by "where?"
We usually hear the opposite from people who move here from NY.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:22 AM

113 posts, read 186,339 times
"Containment Area for Resident Yankees: C.A.R.Y.)."

My native North Carolinian sister-in-law says 'Containment Area for RELOCATED Yankees."

Either way, the Mr. and I are looking at the Triangle as a possible retirement destination -- we'll be exploring Apex, West Cary, and even parts of Holly Springs (e.g., Holly Pointe, which came to my attention due to the Harry Potter-related street names).

My brother and SIL live there and we have heard much about the educational and political issues. But the Triangle is among the bluer (or less red) areas with a milder winter, still 4 seasons, closer to the grandkids, and lower housing cost.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:50 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,939,088 times
I'm not from here but what I find is that you make of it what you will. Treat others with respect and they will do likewise. Obviously from some of the posts and threads here Cary brings out the worst in peoples intolerance of those that ain't like them. Eventually, after they vent, they move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary