Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 02:30 PM

10 posts, read 23,089 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We are moving to RTP area from PA and would like to rent initially before buying a house. What rental apartment complexes /neighborhoods feed into Davis Drive Elementary/Middle school? We have two kids entering 6th and 2nd grades and we sort of have decided on Davis drive schools.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 02:38 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Davis Drive ES
http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/pdf_maps/BA...A_2013_390.pdf

Upchurch Farm
Wellsley
West Park
Much of Park Village
Whitebridge
Portion of MacArthur Park... Excalibur and Southwick
Stonecrest
Cornerstone Apartments

Old 06-16-2014, 02:47 PM

Davis Drive MS:
http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/pdf_maps/BA...A_2013_391.pdf

Old 06-17-2014, 08:21 AM

MikeJaquish, Thank you so much for the names of the apartments/neighborhoods. This is so helpful. I also looked at the map link you sent - what do those numbers like 391.5,391.8 etc indicate?

Old 06-17-2014, 08:38 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetplainz View Post
MikeJaquish, Thank you so much for the names of the apartments/neighborhoods. This is so helpful. I also looked at the map link you sent - what do those numbers like 391.5,391.8 etc indicate?

Those are "nodes" from when the county used nodes to assign addresses to schools. I think the school board is considering going back to this model (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

If you are looking to rent an apartment Cornerstone is probably your best bet.

They are also building townhomes right behind Davis Drive (next to Upchurch Farms) and they are "supposed" to be assigned to those schools.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:14 PM

Thank you for clarifying that. Will check cornerstone. Only wish there is a way to translate these nodes something usable like zip code!
Thanks for all the info again

Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying that. Will check cornerstone. Only wish there is a way to translate these nodes something usable like zip code!
Thanks for all the info again
Don't sweat the nodes.

If you want DDES and DDMS, DDES has the smaller home base area, like all elementary schools do. Ergo, for your 2nd grader, you need to focus on getting into a DDES assignment area.
Once the 2nd grader is ready for middle school in a few years, you can loosen up and get into an area that is assigned DDMS, regardless of the elementary school assignment.

If you really want to focus on nodes, just blow up that map and superimpose it over any street map. It will bring home the areas to you.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:22 PM

Actually I have two kids - one a rising 6th grader and the younger one going to 2nd. Thanks for the idea of superimposing the two maps. Will definitely try that! Thanks so much!!

Old 06-17-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Actually I have two kids - one a rising 6th grader and the younger one going to 2nd. Thanks for the idea of superimposing the two maps. Will definitely try that! Thanks so much!!
Right, but as you look at maps and neighborhoods, I think you will see that if you get housing in the DDES assignment area, your middle schooler will be in DDMS.
But, if you get into the larger assignment area for DDMS, it includes other elementary school assignments, so your 2nd grader could be in a school other than DDES.
You need to confirm all that with the WCPSS folks, but I think that is currently accurate.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:39 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Mike's point was that there are less neighborhoods that feed into DDE, but all of those neighborhoods feed into DDMS. In other words, everyone who is in the DDE base zone goes to DDMS, but not everyone who is in the DDMS base zone came from DDE. You have to focus on the ones that feed into DDE only. In a few years when your 2nd grader is ready for middle school, if you aren't satisfied with where you live, you can cast a wider net as far as neighborhoods since many more feed into the middle school. Make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary