Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:50 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times

Advertisements

This past July we moved from Oregon to Durham. We sold/ gave away ALOT of stuff. We did move some furniture, but not all of it. We also moved one care & drove the other one as our cars were newer, low miles and it was well worth it.

I do agree with Mrs. Steel about being over whelmed with having to buy new stuff and moving to a new city all at once. We did not move our kids beds so I immediately had to go out and get them new beds. And we did not move any appliances so we had to get them right away too. I highly recommend knowing what you are going to buy before you move... especially with appliances. I hated feeling rushed to make all those decisions and getting lost on the way to different furniture stores. I'm kind of picky and can't buy the first thing I see. And my husband is the type who just wants a couch... he doesn't care what kind. It was stressful and it was hotter than holy guacamole so that added to the stress. Whew! I'm glad that is behind me.

You might want to pack along some water as we are running out pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 12:46 AM

94 posts, read 315,487 times
SoCal is well affiliated with drought. Last real rain I remeber was the "El Nino" winter when I first arrived in the States in 1990. Promise I will do the best I can to bring good water thoughts with me though. Oh and kids beds and a hubby couch!

P.s. Iv'e found good wine also compensates for the lack of couch etc.

As the Hispanic Culture well put's it "Manana"(Put it off until TOMORROW) ...

Old 12-18-2007, 09:44 AM

460 posts, read 1,770,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I highly recommend knowing what you are going to buy before you move... especially with appliances. I hated feeling rushed to make all those decisions and getting lost on the way to different furniture stores.
For the basics (ie Appliances, beds, sofa, etc) people can always rent for a couple of months.

If those items aren't ones that you're going to want in your new home, it can frequently be cheaper to get rid of them prior to moving.

When I moved from SoCal, by the time I had identified the things I couldn't part with, it made no sense for me to ship furniture items that I knew I'd get rid of in 2-4 months.

I called a local charity, and told them to come get everything.

They were happy. I was happy (and I got a tax break). PLUS, it saved a ton of time and effort packing things up.

The rest of my stuff went in the car (which was shipped), via UPS (for things that needed to be insured), and on AmTrack Frieght (stuff that wouldn't get broken).

Old 12-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Air

150 posts, read 537,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
Did you remember how you found a freight hauler who will take household goods? Yellow pages? That sounds like a perfect solution for my nephew and his wife to move a 1 bedroom apartment worth of furniture and tons of books! He's moving from Oregon to Texas for his med residency, so he's paying the bill!
For the books, might I suggest UPS. They pick up and deliver door to door. Sometimes they have very good rates, but it seems to change. When the rates are good, you can move a surprising amount for under 200 dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary