Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,546 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a new home in Raleigh or surrounding areas. I've noticed that homes are more affordable in the 27604 zip code, but we have heard that certain neighborhoods LOOK nice but are going "downhill" (home value going down due to section 8 homes, foreclosures, etc).

I would love to hear what your favorite neighborhoods are in this zip is and why.

We would like to move somewhere that people take pride in their neighborhood and homes (keep them nice, yards cut, pressure washed, etc) and where people keep up with their teenagers and young adults (teenagers are the biggest problem in our current neighborhood (leaving trash, vandalism, trespassing, etc).

Also curious about other favorite zips that have nice homes under $180,000
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 03:23 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
The problem with this area in general is that while there are some solid sub-divisions, there are dense pockets where the neighborhoods are sketchy at best. And why that's a problem is you don't really know what the long term impact will be on wherever you buy.

When we first started scoping out moving down here in 2006 we were naturally drawn to all the new housing right off Buffaloe Road. However when we came down here initially to see things for ourselves we were immediately concerned by what we were driving past to visit houses we'd admired online. Buying a great, brand new home for $200k was tempting but this New York City boy had real concerns about the surrounding areas, so much so that I increased our budget and shifted our sites elsewhere.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,546 times
Default This Is Helpful!

Thank you for your response! This is good to hear b/c we want to buy and live there long-term and how the neighborhood looks in 10 years is so important to us. This is also part of our issue now with our current neighborhood. The neighborhood is fairly new and decent (other than unkept teens and a few section 8 homes), but we are just a few miles from areas that are 'project' neighborhoods. :/ So there have been break-ins pretty often in the neighborhood.

What about 27616? Is this a safe place or will there be the same issues? Also we have looked in Knightdale. Does anyone have any thoughts on that area?

Old 06-27-2014, 05:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Using zip codes to search for homes is a horrible method. Many cover large areas that can vary greatly from one part to another.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:29 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
I moved to Knightdale from Raleigh in recent years. Have lived in the Raleigh area since the 70's so know the history of all this area pretty well. I love Knightdale because it's so quiet and safe. My daughter and grandson used to live in Cary and recently moved here. they were shocked to experience the quietness and see how family friendly it is. They agree too, it is a safe and clean area. We have a new park, they are building a nice new community by Preston homes next to the park. And are putting in a new YMCA, charter school, and amphitheater. My house has appreciated very nicely in the 3 years I've been here. Homes in my neighborhood are selling in days. We shop in town or at Triangle Town Mall or North Hills and go to the movies there. Downtown, for nightlife, indy restaurants and culture, is only 15-20 minutes away.

The Knightdale bypass and I 540 have greatly reduced travel times from here to the rest of the area.

A colleague who lives in the Cary/Apex quadrant, has the same commute time as me to Durham. While I don't recommend it as I do it every day, it's no worse that the Apex commute - just to give you context.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:31 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
PS for your budget, you should check out Planter's Walk. It is an established neighborhood and very family friendly with a community pool. I have a relative who lives over there, they love it.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:04 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
My son lives in Knightdale across from the high school.

He's very pleased with the area and low crime.

Knightdale had a youth crime issue a few years ago but reacted severely to misbehavior including a temporary youth curfew to bring it under control quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary