Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 AM

39 posts, read 214,312 times

Advertisements

Of course you should get a survey. You are making the biggest purchase you will probably ever make. Without a survey, you will not know what you are purchasing and if there are any easements or encroachments on your property. Get a proper survey, the $350 dollar quote is NOT a reasonable price. If you do find someone to do it for that price, you can be assured you will get what you pay for. Some good questions for a prospective surveyor are: Will a licensed surveyor personally visit the property? Do you carry errors & omissions insurance? How long have you been licensed?Moderator cut: no advertising allowed
Vicki, I understand you are trying to be helpful, but please stop quoting prices for surveys. Survey prices are dependent on quite a few factors and a common problem I see is clients being misinformed by others about survey costs.

Last edited by autumngal; 12-19-2007 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 14 days ago)

43,159 posts, read 76,731,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsurveyor View Post
Of course you should get a survey. You are making the biggest purchase you will probably ever make. Without a survey, you will not know what you are purchasing and if there are any easements or encroachments on your property. Get a proper survey, the $350 dollar quote is NOT a reasonable price. If you do find someone to do it for that price, you can be assured you will get what you pay for. Some good questions for a prospective surveyor are: Will a licensed surveyor personally visit the property? Do you carry errors & omissions insurance? How long have you been licensed? Moderator cut: orphaned
Vicki, I understand you are trying to be helpful, but please stop quoting prices for surveys. Survey prices are dependent on quite a few factors and a common problem I see is clients being misinformed by others about survey costs.
I would be very interested in why the survey is needed, what can go wrong without one, why the typical $350-$400 an attorney charges for arranging a survey is not suitable for a thorough job.

I would also be interested in who owns a survey, if there is any value in a Seller handing his survey to the Buyer, and real-life stories of how it all can go wrong.

Last edited by autumngal; 12-19-2007 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: quote was orphaned

Old 12-19-2007, 09:24 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,173,561 times
Quote:
Of course you should get a survey. You are making the biggest purchase you will probably ever make. Without a survey, you will not know what you are purchasing and if there are any easements or encroachments on your property. Get a proper survey, the $350 dollar quote is NOT a reasonable price. If you do find someone to do it for that price, you can be assured you will get what you pay for. Some good questions for a prospective surveyor are: Will a licensed surveyor personally visit the property? Do you carry errors & omissions insurance? How long have you been licensed? Moderator cut: orpahaned
I was merely stating that is the AVERAGE PRICE for a survey for an AVERAGE SIZE PROPERTY (average size being l/4 acre or less in this area), to give the person asking the question something to base their decision on. I recently had a survey for 5 acres that was MUCH MORE than the AVERAGE of $350. Please read ALL the posts BEFORE you react. And have a great day!
Autumngal says I have to be nice today!

Vicki

Last edited by autumngal; 12-19-2007 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: quote was orphaned

Old 12-19-2007, 10:03 AM

Mike,
let me try and answer the questions you posed.
"what can go wrong without a survey?"
There are literally hundreds of different problems a quality survey will reveal. Surveyors will physically mark the corners of the property on the ground and the landowner will know the property limits. Only a licensed surveyor can do this in NC. A survey will show any and all enchroachments (fences, barbecues, walks, drives, houses etc.) A survey will show any easements that cross the property. A survey will show the difference between the record description (deed) and the actual monuments. a deed may call for 100' and the actual distance might be more or less. I have even seen examples where a person bought a lot in a subdivision, built a house on it and then had a survey done. The house was built on the wrong lot and had to be moved.
"why is $350-$400 not suitable?"
I do surveys for attorneys often and they know that a $350 survey is not being done properly. A survey that is done properly takes research, field work, drafting and involves complex calculations. It also involves liability. Every time I stamp a map, I open myself up to years of liability to multiple people. Licensed surveyors also have very expensive equipment, overhead costs and at least 8 years experience BEFORE they can even apply to get a license. Then they have multiple tests and yearly education.
"who owns a survey"
This is stipulated by the contract when the survey is performed.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:11 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,173,561 times
Quote:
Mike,
let me try and answer the questions you posed.
"what can go wrong without a survey?"
There are literally hundreds of different problems a quality survey will reveal. Surveyors will physically mark the corners of the property on the ground and the landowner will know the property limits. Only a licensed surveyor can do this in NC. A survey will show any and all enchroachments (fences, barbecues, walks, drives, houses etc.) A survey will show any easements that cross the property. A survey will show the difference between the record description (deed) and the actual monuments. a deed may call for 100' and the actual distance might be more or less. I have even seen examples where a person bought a lot in a subdivision, built a house on it and then had a survey done. The house was built on the wrong lot and had to be moved.
"why is $350-$400 not suitable?"
I do surveys for attorneys often and they know that a $350 survey is not being done properly. A survey that is done properly takes research, field work, drafting and involves complex calculations. It also involves liability. Every time I stamp a map, I open myself up to years of liability to multiple people. Licensed surveyors also have very expensive equipment, overhead costs and at least 8 years experience BEFORE they can even apply to get a license. Then they have multiple tests and yearly education.
"who owns a survey"
This is stipulated by the contract when the survey is performed.
So what is a "suitable" cost for a survey???

And the 30 surveys that I've had done this year at $350...what problems shall I expect???

Vicki

Vicki

Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,553,792 times
Good questions Vicki. I would like to know what problems to expect as well.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:20 AM

Vicki,
I am not reacting. I simply am asking you to refrain from quoting survey prices. The avg price you are quoting was the price in 1990. I had hair back then.The avg price today is about $550. I get calls from clients all the time who have the idea that a survey will cost them a couple hundred bucks, most of the time they were quoted this by a realtor.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 AM

9 posts, read 109,990 times
My husband and I recently purchased our house here in NC and there was also only a plat map that came along with it. We were working with a great agent though who got the sellers to pay for all the closing costs and then some and a land survey was one of the things in with all of it. So we had one done but at no expense to us. However I would recommend getting one. You never know when you might need it. If you want to ever add anything like a pool. fence, even trees and plants now a days depending on your neighbors. I am not too sure who we went through or who is in the area but your agent should be able to recommend some to you. Best of luck and congratulations! Buying a house is exciting!!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 AM

I would expect that you got what you paid for. You got a piece of paper for closing. I am advising people who are wanting to purchase property to get a proper survey done.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:40 AM

147 posts, read 688,125 times
I guess I'm a little confused. What is that a 'proper' survey gets you that a , um, improper? survey doesn't? What is the difference between the two?

I'm not being a smart aleck. I'd really like to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary