Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:18 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,222 times

Advertisements

I rather liked the Big Star at Crabtree Valley Mall. Best deli section (at the time) of any Raleigh supermarket. Big Star is extinct and Crabtree has moved upscale to the point that a plebeian food store would not fit its image.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I miss them all. Thanks for the memories RZ.

I've been to only a few car races in my lifetime. They were all at the old Raleigh Speedway as it was later named. It opened as Southland or "Dixie" Speedway. They say there's still a short section of the back stretch still in tack in the woods under the pine straw.
My great grandpa raced there, PW.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Having locopops on the list is a little inaccurate. Yeah the Hillsborough store closed but its not like there is no chance of another one opening. Also, you can buy locopops at the Q Shack in North Hills and NOFO in Five points.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 PM

9 posts, read 13,975 times
I can't believe they're going to demolish Harrelson Hall. That's really sad.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:09 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
My great grandpa raced there, PW.
Really! How about that The last race I saw there must have been in the late 50's when the track closed. I didn't see the track again until they opened the Beltline there in the mid 60's. What remained of the track was still visible as you drove on the new stretch...very sad.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Tippy's was the first place I ever ate a taco!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:34 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmauld View Post
I can't believe they're going to demolish Harrelson Hall. That's really sad.
That building is a disaster. It's a classic case of where someone put design before function. I'll gladly take time off work to sit out on the brickyard in a beach chair to watch it come down.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:14 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Tippy's was the first place I ever ate a taco!
Good old Tippy's Taco House. Had my first taco there as well...late 1960's my quest?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
I'm not that old, but I'm pretty sure I remember that Andy's pizza used to be at North Hills before they moved to Quail Corners. At least I think so.

I did not realize that Record Bar was renown as a indie store. It was just the way record stores were in the 70's and early 80's AFAIK.

I definitely remember going downtown and getting peanuts from the Peanut Man with my dad and brother. This had to be in the 70s when I was in elementary school. Man, there were so many pigeons out there. Huge flocks would fly up to the Court of Appeals building across from the Capitol whenever a large truck or bus went by. I wonder where they all went?

I remember Fat Daddy's opening. Man, there were always huge crowds there when they first opened.

Harrelson hall, while it has some funky access issues with the crazy corkscrew or seemingly endless stairs, functioned fine for what they used it for when I had classes there. A curved classroom where everyone more directly faces the instructor seems like a great arrangement to me. I had also heard the 10 story rumors, but that seems like an unlikely screw up. It is not like they didn't build plenty of 10 story buildings at State around the same time period.

I would have added Scotty's hot dogs at Crabtree and North Hills. I can remember going there many times. Most vividly, the day Reagan was shot. We heard about it at the end of school and we were already going to Crabtree with our mom that afternoon. We ate at Scotty's and watched the many televisions in the window at the TV store that was right near it. I think it was a Magnavox store at the time.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:17 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Also, I thought Record Bar was a national chain. I know for sure they had them in Charlotte when I was growing up. There was one in Southpark Mall as early as 1977 (right next to the chick filet, but alas this is a Raleigh thread).

Since Fat Daddy's has come up a few times, how about also Karaoke at Border Cafe in N. Raleigh (Sandy Forks) with Steve Quinnie from Circus. That restaurant used to be a Fat Daddy's and was owned by the same person. (I was the chef there).

I don't miss the food, but Karaoke on Saturday night was THE party in N. Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary