Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:24 PM

5,880 posts, read 6,948,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
2 lane Falls of Neuse Rd.
I had heard that it was never widened - they just repainted the stripes to make the additional lanes. True?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 04:37 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I had heard that it was never widened - they just repainted the stripes to make the additional lanes. True?
I feel that way about Wake Forest Rd from the beltline up to Millbrook! The lanes feel about 6' wide, and it doesn't help that most drivers position themselves in the center of the lane, not their car!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:14 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,144 times
The glass clock in the middle of Fayetteville street mall.
The Hudson Belk bargin basement good one!
Clyde Coopers(original location)

Old 06-24-2014, 05:33 PM

613 posts, read 746,294 times
Hudson Belk Capital Room. The older gentleman who held the door for customers. I remember it moved to Crabtree for a few years.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:11 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,926,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Loved that place!

When my brother -- a big city lawyer -- came to visit I took him to dinner at OT's. He was amazed to read the menu and see that a whole meal cost the same amount as he would pay for an appetizer in Manhattan!

Loved OT's too. Always stopped there going or coming from fishing at Lake Jordan.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
My goodness I remember him, Sam. There was also a fixture at 42nd St 'Renaldo' . Eccentric customer I think his picture is on the wall? What happened to them??
I used to work with Renaldo at The Museum of Natural Sciences. We knew each other so well he had a name for me. He "named" quite a few people. He was a scientific illustrator at the museum. Renaldo died not too long ago. And I know he is missed by a lot of people. He would have gotten a kick out of being mentioned on this thread.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:15 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,654 times
I TOTALLY forgot about OTs! I remember my daddy eating there.

I went to Harrelson Hall today out of curiosity. I'd never really heard of the building, but I'm an architecture buff, and was intrigued and wanted to see it after reading this article.

Maybe I'm biased because 1. I just love quirky, odd things and 2. I never sat through any classes in the building; but I don't "get" the objections to the building. I really loved it! It wasn't freezing cold as people have said it is. The stairs were not THAT steep, I figured out how the building "worked" in about five minutes, and the spiral in the center wasn't that hard to maneuver. Oh - and there's an elevator. I even went into a classroom and saw a curved blackboard - not that big of a deal (to me - maybe it would be harder with a statistics or calculus class). It IS noisy, and I could see how the windowlessness could get tedious - but I don't think the building should be torn down. Seems like it could be used for SOMETHING.

Just one non-NCSU student's opinion.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:26 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,760,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nice list!

I loved the fountain... and Rathskeller... and The Hobby Shop... and Bentwood... wow... all of them, really.
Which fountain? The metal pipe crazy colored one or the giant three sided Crabtree logo one?

The Rathskeller. Mmmm. My wife and I used to go there all the time when we were dating. Food was so awesome but of course you could not count on getting out of there quick on Friday or Saturday. Might be 45 minutes might be 2 hours for the same meal.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:58 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I'm not that old, but I'm pretty sure I remember that Andy's pizza used to be at North Hills before they moved to Quail Corners. At least I think so.
Actually, the original Andy's was always at Quail Corners. From what I remember, the NH location was sort of contracted. The QC location burned two or three times. The owner sold it to someone else who used the same recipes and everything for a while. It has switched hands a few times since then.

Anyone remember Scotty's hot dogs at North Hills? What about Two Guys pizza on Hillsborough? My family always liked TG better than Brothers.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:35 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
The 5-0 and the movie theaters below that. A friend dated one of the owners and we used to have late night private movies with beer after the 5-0 till the sun came up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary