Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:53 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,566,362 times

Advertisements

Yes, North Carolina is just about as diverse as it gets. From the Mountains to the Piedmont, to the Coast. Cary is just one town amoung many, each with its own character. I got my "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" from someone I worked with who had lived there. She loved it. I think they like to draw themselves apart, but as long as they don't require that I live there, I really don't care. I have another friend who has a daughter and grandchildren living there. They are all native to North Carolina. Her husband, however, is not a native. Keep the sunny side up!

Old 08-25-2007, 01:23 PM

850 posts, read 3,622,146 times
We lived in Cary for 6 months while house hunting during our relocation from NJ. We liked it there and house hunted there as well. Just couldn't find what we wanted there in our price range so looked further out. I did like the easy access to all things, something we don't have quite as much here where we ended up. Not sure I understand the despising a place. Either its for you or its not, can't say I've ever despised a place I lived other than our last place NJ which had NO community feel. AND apparently now is the hoods/cripts gang central (we got out just in time).

Just last week I took the kids to the Barber Shop, something my husband usually does. I'll never do that again. Mr. Nice Barbershop man bent my ear the entire time telling me his entire life story, which I didn't mind per se (other than the fact that dh told me he usually talks to the kids the entire time). BUT what got me is when he told me how his ex was turning her kids into homesexuals (in front of my children, mind you).

Then he asked me if I knew the difference between a yankee and a damn yankee. A yankee is a one that comes to visit and goes home. A damn yankee is one that comes to visit and stays. He was joking, of course but I could hear a thread of truth in it for him.

That's actually the first time I've heard Yankee other than the thousands of times people explain what CARY stands for.

Lauren

Old 08-25-2007, 02:59 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,645,974 times
What barbershop was that?

Old 08-25-2007, 03:05 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,603,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
We lived in Cary for 6 months while house hunting during our relocation from NJ. We liked it there and house hunted there as well. Just couldn't find what we wanted there in our price range so looked further out. I did like the easy access to all things, something we don't have quite as much here where we ended up. Not sure I understand the despising a place. Either its for you or its not, can't say I've ever despised a place I lived other than our last place NJ which had NO community feel. AND apparently now is the hoods/cripts gang central (we got out just in time).

Just last week I took the kids to the Barber Shop, something my husband usually does. I'll never do that again. Mr. Nice Barbershop man bent my ear the entire time telling me his entire life story, which I didn't mind per se (other than the fact that dh told me he usually talks to the kids the entire time). BUT what got me is when he told me how his ex was turning her kids into homesexuals (in front of my children, mind you).

Then he asked me if I knew the difference between a yankee and a damn yankee. A yankee is a one that comes to visit and goes home. A damn yankee is one that comes to visit and stays. He was joking, of course but I could hear a thread of truth in it for him.

That's actually the first time I've heard Yankee other than the thousands of times people explain what CARY stands for.

Lauren
Think I'd be looking for a new Barber Shop Lauren... at least for the kids

Old 08-25-2007, 06:41 PM

850 posts, read 3,622,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
What barbershop was that?
I'm really not comfortable sharing that here. I mean, I don't think he meant any harm, just his views are different than mine. I don't want to hurt his business any. PM me if you really want to know.

And I agree, Jeannie, I think based on that experience last week, I'll be looking elsewhere for the kids' cuts.

Lauren

Old 08-25-2007, 06:46 PM

OK, I understand

Old 08-26-2007, 03:40 PM

147 posts, read 470,828 times
The North Carolina native and thinking of people as Yankee's thing is actually probably more rooted in a rural vs. urban bias. A Vermonter would be much less likely to be frowned upon than someone from LI (the worst) NJ (just as bad) or even Buffalo etc. It has to do with anyone who is anything like the stereotypical Soprano/Gotti/cheeseball Guido.

This kind of bias exists everywhere. My Vermont wife and others from up there refer to people from Massachusetts as M*******s. People in Portland, Or. despise all the Califonians (especially from LA) who are moving there driving up prices.

When an area is run over by people who choose the place that you grew up in and love, by reading a magazine article and figuring that they can get more for their money, and they drive up prices and destroy the quality of life for the natives, then it makes people bitter.

In the North Carolina mountains NJ developers have bought up huge areas and built them to be like idealized versions of the Adirondacks. Someone from New York might like that, but I take it as a direct attack on the culture in which I grew up and essentially a version of cultural cleansing. It makes it much harder for me to live and let live. People should never be ashamed to have pride in the place and culture in which they were raised. Or to want to protect the quality of life they knew growing up.

Why don't all these people from LI or NJ consider moving to any of the towns in New York state of Maine or something? Why such a herd mentality?

Old 08-26-2007, 03:44 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,949,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post
Why don't all these people from LI or NJ consider moving to any of the towns in New York state of Maine or something? Why such a herd mentality?
Because they don't want to. They want to move to North Carolina. I suggest you just learn to live with it.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:33 PM

842 posts, read 3,225,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post
When an area is run over by people who choose the place that you grew up in and love, by reading a magazine article and figuring that they can get more for their money, and they drive up prices and destroy the quality of life for the natives, then it makes people bitter.
I can't help to think that this is what the Native Americans were thinking when the Europeans colonized what is now North Carolina. Or after the Civil War, when the then locals complained about the carpet baggers moving here (who are now the ancestors of many locals).

I guess a hundred years from now, my descendants will be complaining about non-locals moving into the area and ruining it too.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Too cold, too rural and not enough jobs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.