U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:54 AM

11 posts, read 36,823 times

Advertisements

Im in Cleveland, OH and I am either moving to Greensboro or Cary and I keep hearign that the "natives" arnt really fans of cary, why is that, I visited and it seemed nice to me for the short time I was there. Whats up
Rate this post positively

Old 10-27-2006, 10:00 AM

10,011 posts, read 17,872,963 times
Alot of transplants there.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:10 AM

325 posts, read 1,355,409 times
I guess most of us NC natives don't like Cary because it's mainly a sprawling melting pot of non-NC natives. Personally, I don't think the town really has a personality or defining identity. It primarily serves as a bedroom community for the RTP area. The town codes are quite restrictive to commercial and residential property owners. Truth be told, for myself, moving to Cary would be like moving away from everything I'm accustomed to (rural, small town NC). Sure, my wife and I may go shopping in Cary now and then, but that's about the extent of our ventures there. If it suits your taste and quality of life, then it probably would be a good place for you to live. I'm in no way trying to discourage you from moving there, I'm just answering your question from my point of view.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:29 AM

1,186 posts, read 3,500,760 times
CARY: Citizens Are Relocated Yankees

Old 10-27-2006, 10:34 AM

325 posts, read 1,355,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
CARY: Citizens Are Relocated Yankees
I got another one for you. CLAYTON:

Cary Like Area Yankees Take Over Next!

Old 10-27-2006, 11:28 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,537,405 times
From what I've seen, Cary is one of the nicest areas in North Carolina, although I think Chapel Hill is even nicer. I would guess most of the "natives" who nag about Cary probably couldn't afford to live there.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:46 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,117,810 times
Many of us see Cary as the ultimate epitome of what's wrong in NC these days: tear down every friggin forest you can find, put in tons of sprawling McMansions with no character...lots of long oversized strip malls....scattered with hundreds of cul-de-sacs....build more homes creating more population growth than your roads or schools can handle, overcrowding be d@mned. Oh and make most of those new homes for rich people.
Smart growth? Doesn't exist there. It's take all land you can grab and spread your bulldozers as far as the eye can see.

By no means is this just Cary....like someone said above, Clayton's on its way to be the next Cary, and I hear Union County is getting just as bad. But for some reason most of these gripes just seem to be more obvious to see there.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:55 PM

223 posts, read 1,021,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
From what I've seen, Cary is one of the nicest areas in North Carolina, although I think Chapel Hill is even nicer. I would guess most of the "natives" who nag about Cary probably couldn't afford to live there.
Ouch! I'm not a native, but from living here a long time I respectfully disagree with your statement for the following reasons:

1) Chapel Hill is only one of MANY places in NC nicer than Cary,
and
2) There are MANY folks in other NC towns (including tiny little "hick" ones - you'd be surprised!) with PLENTY of money, who just happen to choose a more authentic NC experience than what Cary offers.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:14 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,770,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Many of us see Cary as the ultimate epitome of what's wrong in NC these days: tear down every friggin forest you can find, put in tons of sprawling McMansions with no character...lots of long oversized strip malls....scattered with hundreds of cul-de-sacs....build more homes creating more population growth than your roads or schools can handle, overcrowding be d@mned. Oh and make most of those new homes for rich people.
Smart growth? Doesn't exist there. It's take all land you can grab and spread your bulldozers as far as the eye can see.

By no means is this just Cary....like someone said above, Clayton's on its way to be the next Cary, and I hear Union County is getting just as bad. But for some reason most of these gripes just seem to be more obvious to see there.
Clayton?!!? Try Apex. Apex is practically a western extension of Cary nowadays. Sad really.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:37 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,537,405 times
You know that homes being built do not create overpopulation. Economics 101 - Supply vs. Demand. I could build a 5,000 home community in the middle of the desert and no one would buy. The demand has to be there.

I have taken a bunch of classes in urban planning and local governance. Cary is a well governed town. In fact I think Cary's growth is and was better planned than Raleigh's. North Raleigh is way more sprawling and overall lower-density than Cary. You do realize that NC's annexation laws force cities to annex nearby lands in order to prevent them from being annexed by other nearby jurisdictions or from filing for incorporation and thus being outside of the city's tax base. This Catch-22 is that once the land is annexed, city services are provided and the land is open for development. I haven't seen a situation in NC where a city has annexed rural land, then implemented an "urban growth boundary" to prohibited development in that area. I also haven't seen the cities cooperate with the county government to enact similar zoning. It all seems to be a free for all pro-development attitude with no "smart growth" policies.

What type of "smart growth" would you recommend for Cary? It's part of a larger metropolitan area and therefore any smart growth policies would have to be implemented at a county-wide level. If Cary were to design a zoning plan such as the following: dense living on the eastern and northern edges of the city (closer to Raleigh and RTP) and 5+ acre lot density in the south/western side of the city -- guess what would happen? The development would leapfrog it into Apex and the surrounding countryside (ignore the fact that even with Cary's pretty dense zoning, this has already happened).

Some Americans are starting to cry out their frustration at the isolation they experience living in mindless suburbia. Few of them are willing to give up their car-centered lifestyle and cheap housing with a yard to live in denser urban environments. Many white Americans are still too racist to live amongst minorities, be they black, hispanic, or immigrants from elsewhere. How many people on this board do you see who ask for a "quiet suburban area where I can get a 4 bedroom house with good schools, no more than 20 minutes from shopping". For me, that's not good enough. I need to be 3 to 5 minutes from shopping, restaurants, no more than 10 to 20 minutes from nightlife.

Also remember that population in this country is growing and we no longer have the luxury of compact downtown centers. Any developing is going to be sprawling, whether it is out to the edges, or up into the sky (Manhattan). Even Manhattan, as huge as it is, is only home to less than a million. The majority of the workers commute in from the other four boroughs.

Oh yeah, as for the "authentic" NC experience - I'll pass on that. From what I've seen, that means not being able to get decent Thai or Indian food because all the locals like to eat is greasy fried chicken and artery-clogging pork BBQ, being forced to shop at a crappy Food Lion, being surrounded by Bush-loving SUV drivers, and being discriminated against because you speak proper American English. The guy who did my windows in Cary is a New Yorker of Italian heritage with a strong Brooklyn accent, and he said one time on a job he did out in some hicktown, one of the good ol' boys said to him (after hearing his accent), "Y'ain't from round these parts, are ya? Are ya one of them Eye-Talians?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.