Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 12:16 PM

9 posts, read 8,998 times

Advertisements

We are considering a potential move from California (originally from UK) to Cary with my husband's job - not a mandated move we can choose to stay here or relocate to NC. SO many things are appealing to raising our family in NC as opposed to CA.

Trying to figure out the real scoop on biting bugs in suburban Cary and how much they affect daily life - can kids go to the park/play outside without being eaten alive? Are they a problem all year round or just in Summer? How much do they affect your daily life and outdoor activities?

I get that they exist - we have no problem coexisting with them on some level, but reading some comments in some threads it sounds like you can't ever go outside! If we take all the sensible precautions - no standing water, no wooded areas around our house, screened porch, etc - are things really that bad?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 12:22 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,206,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr910 View Post
We are considering a potential move from California (originally from UK) to Cary with my husband's job - not a mandated move we can choose to stay here or relocate to NC. SO many things are appealing to raising our family in NC as opposed to CA.

Trying to figure out the real scoop on biting bugs in suburban Cary and how much they affect daily life - can kids go to the park/play outside without being eaten alive? Are they a problem all year round or just in Summer? How much do they affect your daily life and outdoor activities?

I get that they exist - we have no problem coexisting with them on some level, but reading some comments in some threads it sounds like you can't ever go outside! If we take all the sensible precautions - no standing water, no wooded areas around our house, screened porch, etc - are things really that bad?

Thanks
No. They're not really that bad.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:26 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,302,699 times
It depends on your definition of _that_ bad. Coming from the UK and California it will seem like a lot of bugs. To folks from the South it's just summer — you put on a little bug repellent and go on about your business. But, yes, there are a lot more bugs all over the South than there are in California or the UK.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:27 PM

613 posts, read 745,295 times
Mosquitoes bad this year in Wake Forest. Lots of rain. Worse are the snakes. Saw yet another one early this morning. My 6 year old was stung/biten by fire ants at camp just outside of Raleigh. Worse than mosquitoes.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It depends on your definition of _that_ bad. Coming from the UK and California it will seem like a lot of bugs. To folks from the South it's just summer — you put on a little bug repellent and go on about your business. But, yes, there are a lot more bugs all over the South than there are in California or the UK.
Well, that's true.

I guess I was just thinking of how many bugs I encountered last week in San Jose compared to here.

Maybe some mosquitoes here?

Old 06-25-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Mosquitoes bad this year in Wake Forest. Lots of rain. Worse are the snakes. Saw yet another one early this morning. My 6 year old was stung/biten by fire ants at camp just outside of Raleigh. Worse than mosquitoes.
Fire ants to suck. You really have to teach kids not to go near a mound.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,612,728 times
I cannot speak for Cary but where we are in NW Raleigh they are the worst I have ever experienced, and I lived over 20 years in FL (back yard was a lake with a pool). We have a screened in back porch light the citronella candles, spray repellent on all of us including the dog and we are covered in mosquito bites and my son and I have already dealt with a case of the chiggers this Summer. Which I had never had even in Florida.
Our back yard is very wooded and it backs up to woods as well. This morning I was out with my son while he played golf in the back yard. We were all sprayed yet by this afternoon my son has 3 new bites on his neck and I have some news ones on my ankles and side. My husbands legs look like he has chicken pox, the mosquitoes love him! ( Him and my son are English, they must be tasty)
It will take some getting used to. I wear long shorts, light colored clothing and wear repellent. We are renting the house so I am not sure if it is just common for this location to be infested like this?

Old 06-25-2014, 12:32 PM

613 posts, read 745,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Fire ants to suck. You really have to teach kids not to go near a mound.

Yep. But she gets excited when playing and forgets whats shes doing. After her bath I put a good coat of Costco hydrocortisone cream on them. Helped some.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:36 PM

9 posts, read 8,998 times
We're from Scotland so used to the swarms of Scottish midges all summer and not being able to sit outside or be in parks at night (bug spray does nothing to deter them!) - but obviously it's very seasonal there and not a problem year round. I'm aware that So Cal is very unique in terms of hardly any bugs! The southern lifestyle sounds like it would suit us so much better - not crazy about the thought of my kids growing up in So Cal - I just don't want them to become prisoners in our house in NC so that they don't get eaten alive......even if that house is double the size and half the price of one in So Cal Just trying to get a true perspective.

Thanks for all your comments!

Old 06-25-2014, 12:36 PM

554 posts, read 1,153,429 times
The mosquitos can be terrible depending on your specific housing location. A more wooded yard with lots of trees, bushes, etc. will be worse than a house on a mostly open lot. We lease and have no control over what's already planted and established here, so we pay for a company to come spray to kill mosquitos every 3-4 weeks. It works REALLY well and we honestly never get bitten in our yard, ever.

Other bugs are not even on my radar, honestly, unless it's the random roach that absolutely disgusts me. But I'm sensitive to those suckers. Hate them.

With school aged kids I'd be more concerned about the state of education in NC, unless you are going the private school route and don't have to worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary