Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2007, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 27,354 times

Advertisements

We like moderately upscale shopping and dining, ie.. World Market, Cheesecake Factory. We don't like snooty people or trashy people. Something in-between would be nice to find... friendly neighbors who keep their yards clean would sum up what we're looking for. I'm dreaming of a place like that within a 15-25 minute drive of both a good hospital (work) and good shopping like at Crabtree Valley. We'll be looking to spend $175,000 to $200,000 on a house around 1800 to 2000sqft, which will surely limit our options. Any responses will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 05:04 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
I would say just about anywhere in and around Raleigh. Your price is a little low for what you are looking for. But the area certainly offers friendly neighbors, clean yards, clean water, trash removal weekly, and good shopping! Good luck in your search!

Old 12-17-2007, 05:53 AM

128 posts, read 412,915 times
You can probably find something in that range in Holly Springs. I live there and like being 10 minutes from WakeMed and 25 minutes from Crabtree. Prices have gone up since I bought 3 years ago, but there are still some options in your square footage. I like being central between Cary (there's a World Market right off Walnut St and Hwy 1) and Apex (lots of newer shopping there as well), but still a friendly, affordable area without much of a commute.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:02 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
You can probably find sections of Cary that are in your price range (Trappers Run, Oxxford Hunt) that are not too far from Rex Hospital, Western Wake Medical Center (WakeMed Cary), Crabtree Valley Mall (Raleigh), Cary Towne Center, or Southpoint Mall (Durham). The neighborhoods are pretty solid middle-class (neither snooty nor trashy).

Old 12-17-2007, 08:16 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglebronski View Post
We like moderately upscale shopping and dining, ie.. World Market, Cheesecake Factory. We don't like snooty people or trashy people. Something in-between would be nice to find... friendly neighbors who keep their yards clean would sum up what we're looking for. I'm dreaming of a place like that within a 15-25 minute drive of both a good hospital (work) and good shopping like at Crabtree Valley. We'll be looking to spend $175,000 to $200,000 on a house around 1800 to 2000sqft, which will surely limit our options. Any responses will be appreciated.
I think you just described my neighborhood: Woodcroft in southern Durham. From my front door, I'm about 2 miles from Southpoint Mall, which is home to Nordstroms & hundreds of other stores. There's also a Cheesecake Factory there. Across the street from the mall there's World Market, Pier 1, Linens & Things, Best Buy, Babies R Us, Old Navy and ... well, I can't even remember what else! Just west of the mall there's Super Target, Michaels, Home Goods, and on and on. Again, ALL of this is within about 2 miles of my front door. The same can be said about dozens of restaurants, doctors offices, 3 grocery stores ... you name it, it's close. Plus, we're about 2 miles from I-40, making it very easy to drive anywhere else within the Triangle.

And yet, the neighborhood is very quiet. That has a lot to do with the heavily-treed lots. I posted some photos of Woodcroft in the following thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ft-durham.html

In the last year I have seen a lot of homes in Woodcroft with about 1800sf sell for around $180K - 200K. The only downside is that there are very few homes on the market in your price range right now. That was not the case last spring, so I imagine things will look better this spring, too. As you probably know, that's not at all unusal. Plus, home prices may dip slightly compared to last year, so you might be able to land yourself a nice deal.

Other neighborhoods in this area that fit your criteria are Hope Valley Farms & Woodlake. I'm sure a realtor who is familiar with this area could find even more.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited by MrsSteel; 12-17-2007 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-17-2007, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 27,354 times
Thanks very much, everyone. Mrs Steel, those are beautiful pics of Woodcroft. I'll have to check it out in the spring when I'm in town.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 41,941 times
If you can spend 250k, go up to North Raleigh and look at Falls River or neighborhoods like Durant Trace or Durant Trails. Anywhere in NW Raleigh off of 70 might be OK, but again the price may need be adjusted or you would have to settle on a older home, or townhome.

Unfortunately, Raleigh doesn't have a lot to offer for 200k or less in real good locations.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:34 AM

281 posts, read 1,108,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglebronski View Post
You may be surprised to find that you can find a ranch around that sq. ft. in N. Raleigh...Northclift and a few subdivisions off of lead mine road are prime areas which are not outrageously priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary