Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:35 AM

35 posts, read 130,614 times

Advertisements

Our Neighbors are signing petitions and working to see if we can get the School board to reconsider moving our elementary from Davis Drive to a brand new school that year round.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Are other neighborhoods working to get Wake County Public School System to change the redistrict lines?

Last edited by Eleanor Thorne; 12-17-2007 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 09:02 AM

123 posts, read 611,573 times
We got rezoned. It is going to happen because of all the growth. I am trying to get the kids into a free public charter school so I don't have to deal with rezoning so they at least have some stability. It is my understanding that they can't force you into a year round school and that they have to have a traditional seat available for you http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1378739/

Old 12-17-2007, 09:24 AM

997 posts, read 4,644,586 times
To answer Elenoar. All you can do is fight, fight, fight. Speak up at all the meetings. Have your children speak at meetings if they are able. Petition. Put packages together for the school board. Drop them off at school board members homes. Organize a walk to Davis Drive one morning and invite the media. Come up with a concrete reason why they shouldn't redistrict you. Nothing personal though because they don't care about your personal story relating to your little suzy, dick or jane. Also don't pit one school or neighborhood against another. They don't like that. You can cite statistical facts though. Stick to your school and issue only. My neighborhood/I have been involved with this on many occasssions.

To answer Mama Bear. Right now they cannot make you go year round. They have to give you a traditional calendar seat per Judge Mannings ruling. What school it will be you will have to ask.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:13 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,703 times
Quote:
Come up with a concrete reason why they shouldn't redistrict you. Nothing personal though because they don't care about your personal story relating to your little suzy, dick or jane. Also don't pit one school or neighborhood against another. They don't like that. You can cite statistical facts though. Stick to your school and issue only.
I agree with this 100%.

I'm sorry you got reassigned. Good luck with your fight.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:43 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I'm sorry to hear you were redistricted too. It does happen. I guess my only issue is that on one hand, we NEED new schools. On the other hand, how exactly are the new schools supposed to be filled if we don't actually send kids to them? Someone's kids have to go.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:28 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Since new residents cause the problem, their students should go to the new schools.

Only drawback is transportation.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:03 PM

12 posts, read 52,483 times
Default new residents....

I guess I could be considered a 'new resident' to the davis drive district, though my son won't be ready for kindergarten for another 4 years. We just moved into Gleneagles, and (for now) my route has been spared the redistricting. Regardless.... the redistricting issue seems to be a big one here and I think it's a bit ridiculous to move children from one school to another to make way for kids that live 15+ miles away (not sure the exact distance). One of my neighbors stopped by with a petition that we signed, and we plan to attend the meeting. Davis Dr. elementary is less than half a mile away from our neighborhood.... and some of these children will now be bussed to a school a couple miles away. Craziness....

Old 12-17-2007, 12:13 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
There really is no easy answer to it, but someone has to go.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Thorne View Post
Our Neighbors are signing petitions and working to see if we can get the School board to reconsider moving our elementary from Davis Drive to a brand new school that year round.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Are other neighborhoods working to get Wake County Public School System to change the redistrict lines?
So....everyone wants them to build new schools to solve the overcrowding....but you don't want them to put YOUR child in it?

No sympathy and I hope you lose, though it certainly is your right to fight and waste the districts money on lawsuits. We all know that our students don't need the money for their actual education.

If you have moved into Wake County any time in the last 10 years, you've had to have known that it was a growing area and new schools were being built.

Last edited by Desdemona123; 12-17-2007 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 12-18-2007, 06:45 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Children should NOT be bused unless the closest school doesn't offer a program they require.

Simple and saves lots of diesel fuel too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary