Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 05:55 PM

45 posts, read 76,494 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We are moving from Fairfax, VA to the Triangle for the SECOND time! My husband's job moved him here again. We rented in Morrisville the last time. Now we are thinking to stay put in Raleigh and make this our home. Even though we love Fairfax, VA and NOVA, we both commute 1 and half hours to 2 hours EACH WAY! The traffic and commute has pretty much ruined us! My husband comes home from work and pretty much doesn't want to do anything! Only our 1 year old's daughters smile gets him to smile after the terrible evening commute.

We are looking for new construction in west Cary, price range would be 600k-800k. Definitely cannot go over that amount. Can you guide us to the neighborhoods we should look into? We know to find an agent. This is what I found with my searching city-data and forums -please give any comments!

-Copperleaf Glen - a new phase from Copperleaf, since the original is full now. Builders will be Jim Thompson (called Future Homes?) and Roebuck design build, and they said they will start in the 700s. How is the quality of these 2 builders and where might the price range head towards? Local people tell me local builders don't nickel and dime for everything. Do they allow small changes to the floor plan. We are looking for a walk-out basement, so does Copperleaf Glen allow for this? Friends tell me FutureHomes is around 750-800k for a good size home.

-Bellewood Manor - 4 builders I think. Price range starts in the upper 600's - Wardson, Amward, Upright and Legacy is what the guy said. Anyone have any info on basement lots? How do you choose floor plans for builders like these? I checked their websites and there is nothing there.

-Braemore - by Ashton Woods, but they said no basements lots at all!

-Saxonbury - by NV Homes, but the neighborhood seems kind of dull? My long-time friend recommended against NV Homes and Ashton Woods if I'm spending around 700k. NV Homes is very big up here in NOVA and people are always checking out their homes and talking about buying an "NV Homes" house!

-Sedgefield - great area with a lot of local builders, but the lot sizes are too narrow to build the type of floor plan we want. (We are looking for around 4000 sq ft on the 1st and 2nd floors, and then walk-out basement that will leave unfinished for now until more funds come in!)

Anything else coming down the pipeline? Someone mentioned Southerlyn by Emerland homes, but not sure of their quality. Wrenhurst is almost sold out, only 1 lot available. Is Baker planning anything else in this area? Westvale's available lots are too small for the floor plan we want according to the agent (approx 4000 sqft.)

Thanks for any suggestions or comments on these limited choices for new construction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 06:47 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,103 times
I know you said you wanted new construction, but if I were to spend that much $ on a house in this area, I would look in Preston. (assuming you want Cary)

ETA: Google "Preston Cary real estate" and take a look at some sites.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:18 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
when are you moving/when do you need a home?

where are you working, so that the commute might be made the best possible?

just the one daughter?

as noted, why new construction?

If you go with any national builder, you're not likely (which is a nice way of saying "not at all", until someone claims they'll change a wall for you) to get any customization of floorplan. With a local custom builder, you will.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:19 PM

31 posts, read 60,270 times
If you consider moving outside of Cary, your options increase tremendously as there is so much new construction going on. You may want to consider the Wake Forest area or Rolesville if you like a slower vibe.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:21 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times
And why would you want to spend all that money on a house, unless you already have more than enough stashed away? You can get a rockin' house for well under $500k with an awesome yard and convenient to just about anything you'd care about.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:25 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Bellewood Manor looks like it won't have any lots over .4 acres or so.

Good builder team. The roads aren't even paved yet, though.

Copperleaf Glen has paved roads. Looks like some lots would allow for a walk-out basement. I'd build with Future Homes for what you want to spend.

Copperleaf isn't entirely sold out, is it?

No to NV and Ryan, but that's just my opinion based on the neighborhoods and the fact that you can get custom in your price bracket.

Sedgefield? Hmmm. Where's it located?

Old 06-29-2014, 08:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
And why would you want to spend all that money on a house, unless you already have more than enough stashed away? You can get a rockin' house for well under $500k with an awesome yard and convenient to just about anything you'd care about.
4k new construction plus unfinished walkout (and unfinished attic if you build custom) plus a larger lot in Cary isn't happening for anything less than what the OP wants to spend.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:36 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
4k new construction plus unfinished walkout (and unfinished attic if you build custom) plus a larger lot in Cary isn't happening for anything less than what the OP wants to spend.
While that might be true I still don't understand why anyone who would need to take out a mortgage would ever spend that much money on a house down here. Having owned a home with 3k square feet and two (now) teenaged boys I'm fairly certain 4k is more about form than function (and waste, all that extra heating/cooling is insane). And knowing how humidity works in North Carolina the last thing I'd ever want is a basement, walkout or otherwise.

But to each his/her own.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:55 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
"-Bellewood Manor - 4 builders I think. Price range starts in the upper 600's - Wardson, Amward, Upright and Legacy is what the guy said. Anyone have any info on basement lots? How do you choose floor plans for builders like these? I checked their websites and there is nothing there."

These builders will put you in the rocking chair...
Deal directly with the company owner and personal service, not a hired agent at the bottom of a bureaucratic corporate food chain.
It is the only way I would invest that amount of money in a new construction home, with a custom builder running a lean company that gives me direct and regular access to an owner.

From Wardson's site:
"Meet with us to look at preliminary plans (ours or one you provide) and select a lot in one of our neighborhoods or a homesite you own."
That is the essence of "custom built."
Wardson Construction :: Building Your Home

However, the word is:
No basement lots in Phase 1. Turn the key in a new Phase 1 home for just about Easter, 2015.
Maybe 3 or maximum 4 in Phase 2. And the agents are being pounded for basements in Bellewood Manor.
That is why basements aren't mentioned on the site. It is hardly necessary to advertise new construction basements. People are willing to pay huge premiums to build them, and those lots go quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

But to each his/her own.
Great point, and it is the OP's question how to achieve what they want that started the thread!

Old 06-30-2014, 07:57 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,554,925 times
Moved down to Raleigh from Fairfax in 2006, so I know what you mean. We now live in Apex and love it. I couldn't see us moving back to NoVA at this point. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have and I'll do my best to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary