Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:24 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times

Advertisements

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer for years, but at my new job the reception is horrible. I'm on the 4th floor of a mostly glass building in RTP and I barely get a bar of signal. Down on the first floor, no service at all.

I've asked about getting a Sprint repeater (Virgin Mobile uses Sprint's network in the USA) but apparently we don't have the best relationship with Sprint so that went nowhere.

From all reports, AT&T's signal in our building is excellent, but their prices are too expensive for the data plan I would need. If I could get a phone on the AT&T network using Straight Talk though, I could still have a $45 a month plan, with a pretty nice data cap.

The problem is that I can't get a straight answer from them about which network their phones use. Apparently they use a variety of networks, but I think once your phone is on a specific network - it doesn't move. In an e-mail I got from them, they say "upon completing the activation of your phone the system (emphasis mine) determines which carrier will be used to service your phone".

That doesn't sound right to me. Some kind of carrier bingo?

Can anyone using Straight Talk in RTP clarify?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 08:57 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Just purchase an AT&T sim card and put it in an unlocked GSM phone after buying a service card.

Choose Your Phone

PS If you want to save more sign up for autopay and put your address to an Oregon zip code. It would save about $3/month in additional taxes...

Been on ST and Net10 now coming up on a year. We ported our numbers in no issues. Note that your speeds and pings will not be as good as with postpaid AT&T, but still decent for the $ paid.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:04 PM

835 posts, read 2,876,785 times
In the Straight Talk kit there are several SIM cards. For AT&T you want the one that says for AT&T compatible phones. I just went through this myself. I was using Wal-Mart family plan powered by T-Mobile, which was the worst service/connection ever. I was told by Wal-Mart, person in their electronics dept, that I would still be on the T-Mobile network with Straight Talk. I called Straight Talk and was lucky to get to a live person who told me what to do to ensure I got on the AT&T network. I have been very happy with no connection problems so far after just over a month with them.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:09 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Thank you for the input. So it sounds like using an AT&T Sim card is the way to go, but my VM phone is CDMA, so I will need a new phone. There are several "unlocked GSM" phones on Amazon - can I get one that is 4G LTE?

Old 07-03-2014, 06:56 AM

342 posts, read 872,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Thank you for the input. So it sounds like using an AT&T Sim card is the way to go, but my VM phone is CDMA, so I will need a new phone. There are several "unlocked GSM" phones on Amazon - can I get one that is 4G LTE?

If you get a phone that has LTE, you will get LTE with Straight Talk. They have a 3GB limit of data and then you are throttled for the month to basically 2G speed or EDGE as they call it.

Just FYI, you don't have to buy an unlocked phone, you just need one that is AT&T compatible. This should be a little cheaper than unlocked. But if you can find unlocked, even better as it gives you more options in the future if you choose.

Been on the AT&T Straight Talk plan for over 2 years and wouldn't change it. Customer server isn't that great if you call, but the service just works.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:07 AM

There are specific frequency bands required for AT&T LTE to get the best reception. I'm not really familiar with them as I have a CDMA phone running on the Verizon side. I would go look over at HowardForums.com, there is a large active Straight Talk board there where people help. I would think most newer 4G devices would have all the freqs required but I'm not sure. I should pay attention though because I think we might be switching to the AT&T side for the increased data speed and newer phones available.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:25 AM

169 posts, read 540,808 times
You could try Consumer Cellular. Their phones are AT&T.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 AM

342 posts, read 872,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichael929 View Post
You could try Consumer Cellular. Their phones are AT&T.
Why though? Would be double the price for the same thing or less than you get with Straight Talk.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:45 PM

136 posts, read 435,529 times
Based on my experience you won't get 4G or LTE service. I bought a used iPhone 4s from a co-worker and used the AT&T micro-sim in the Straight-Talk packet. It was 4G until my first renewal and has been 3G ever since. From reading the wireless providers sites their cheaper pay as you go plans are all on the slower connection. I suspect that its the same with Straight-Talk, that you'll get 3G but not 4G or LTE.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjeff View Post
Based on my experience you won't get 4G or LTE service. I bought a used iPhone 4s from a co-worker and used the AT&T micro-sim in the Straight-Talk packet. It was 4G until my first renewal and has been 3G ever since. From reading the wireless providers sites their cheaper pay as you go plans are all on the slower connection. I suspect that its the same with Straight-Talk, that you'll get 3G but not 4G or LTE.
It's not post paid 4G but its miles ahead of 3G. They changed the proxy recently might want to check your settings. Verizon is the only one that restricts prepay to 3G.

Also the 4s isn't even a 4G phone. Can't blame the service on that...

"The device runs on AT&T's HSPA+ network, which is merely an upgrade to its traditional 3G network"

http://www.cnet.com/news/is-the-at-t...-phone-or-not/

Like I said you have to check the freq bands that the phone has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary