Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 05:56 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,600 times

Advertisements

I know this may not be specific to this forum but I know we have several posters who are active and also REAs.

The builder and original owner of our current home has a listing for a different lot in town a few miles from here. For that other listing (vacant lot and build to suit) he has 3 exterior shots of our current home. I only know this because we have friends looking to buy and they called and asked if it was our house for sale.

Should it bother me or should I just let it go?

Should I contact the builder or Remax and ask them to remove the pictures? It is false advertising in a way.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 06:05 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
If it bothers you, call the builder or agent and make your request.

I don't see it as false advertising if they are notifying people that a similar home could be built on that site. Builders do that all the time, using photos from the same model to represent a potential build.
But, photos of your home are a different thing, and IMO, it is not unreasonable for you to be somewhat uncomfortable.

A few years ago, I let the firm I was affiliated with use a couple of photos of a couple of my former closed listings their home page.
One of the photos was so popular, I had to have a few different agents at different firms take it off their sites.
But, the builder loaded his shot, which is very similar, to a stock photo site, and that also turns up here and there.
I wonder what the current residents think about all that?

Old 07-06-2014, 06:17 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,590,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
Should it bother me or should I just let it go?
My house was designed jointly by the builder and me, and built to contract for me. The contract contained specific language stating that the design belongs to me, the plans belong to me, and he must not give, sell, publish, or otherwise distribute the design in any manner.

Your house was built for the first owner, the builder. It's difficult to see how you can assert rights to the design or image which overrides his.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:20 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
My house was designed jointly by the builder and me, and built to contract for me. The contract contained specific language stating that the design belongs to me, the plans belong to me, and he must not give, sell, publish, or otherwise distribute the design in any manner.

Your house was built for the first owner, the builder. It's difficult to see how you can assert rights to the design or image which overrides his.

Yes, but it would be a bad PR opportunity and an exhibition of poor common sense for the agent or the builder to press those issues.

And, do the photos of the OP's home show any personal items, or changes he made since the builder built it? Using those in marketing may well lend reason to his request.

I didn't sense that the OP cared to make a legal complaint out of the matter, just a reasonable request to the parties.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
If he built it from a custom plan that you worked on together, maybe it should bother you. In fact, in this case, he might be willing to give you a rebate since the plan you paid for he feels is worthy of replicating.

If it was a spec home, all the new homes I have ever seen where this marketing/presentation method was employed, the 2nd listing has specifically stated it was to be built, or was a plan that had previously been built, and not in any way a claim that YOUR home could be purchased at that time.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
If your home was a spec or a stock plan they use frequently and the pics are from the listing they used to sell your home, I don't think it's much to worry over.

Our house is on our builder's main developer site. It was a spec they built and used for a short while as a model (about 6 months, maybe).

Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,600 times
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't too worried about it but more so was curious as to whether or not it was a real estate faux pas.

The builder of this home built it for himself- he lived here for several years prior to selling to the owners whom we bought from. As such, they are his plans so it's all good.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't too worried about it but more so was curious as to whether or not it was a real estate faux pas.

The builder of this home built it for himself- he lived here for several years prior to selling to the owners whom we bought from. As such, they are his plans so it's all good.
I've seen it done plenty of times. When we were shopping for this place, we saw pics of homes we'd visited being used by builders to advertise homes that were not completed yet, but were the same floor plan.

I guess it's pretty typical around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary