Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 10:00 AM

16 posts, read 16,229 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving from the Chicago area to the research Triangle area. I know I will be able to find employment in that area, but am worried about my husband. He currently works as a Worker's Compensation Defense attorney. Prior to that, he was a criminal prosecutor for 6 years. Does anyone know what the legal job market is in the Triangle area? We could afford for him to be out of work for a few months, but not long term. We know there is a six month minimum for his law license to go through. Thanks so much for any information you can provide!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 01:07 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,238 times
Had to delete my first comment b/c I misread the part about the reciprocity application.

Not sure about the market now. When I moved from NY five years ago, I tested the water a little. Most jobs will not give you a second look unless you have an NC address. I ended up teaching law, so I didn't need to be licensed in NC.

He should indicate on his resume and in his cover letter that he is in the process of being admitted to practice in NC. That may help.

The legal profession did take a hit during the Recession. I am not sure how much of it has recovered, although some of the research that I seen seems to show it is slowly coming back to life. If he wants to continue with Insurance defense, he may have a shot with some of the larger carriers.

In any event, if you are planning a move, I would start searching now.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:00 PM

44 posts, read 96,289 times
Default Send me a direct message with specifics

I know the defense workers' compensation market both here and in the state very well. I'd be happy to provide any information I can.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:37 PM

10 posts, read 30,240 times
I moved to the state after prosecuting for over 11 years. It took a while to get licensed and no one would even interview me without the license. Well, I have barred over a year and I have applied for a substantial number of prosecution jobs. However, I never even get an interview. That being said, from my experience, it is very hard to find legal work here in the criminal field. I don't have any workers comp experience and cannot speak to that.

You might also check into the salary ranges here in N.C. My experience has been that salaries are low here. But, I came from Maryland/DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary