Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:34 PM

69 posts, read 89,602 times

Advertisements

I have NO water pressure at my house. Literally my shower is a dribble. We've never had good pressure but since they started construction on two new houses on my street its been horrible since they laid the pipes down. Who do I call about this? Wake County? Hire a plumber?

Anyone else experience this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 06:45 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,336 times
City of Raleigh if they are your provider, it seems like there maybe something under sized.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:00 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Do you have pressure at the outside hose bib?

Old 07-05-2014, 07:35 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorrieM View Post
I have NO water pressure at my house. ... Who do I call about this?
More information please. What is the source of your water? Municipal supplier? Community well? Private well?

Old 07-06-2014, 11:10 AM

69 posts, read 89,602 times
I live in knightdale and have city water. The house is two story and i've always had better water pressure upstairs though I wouldn't classify the pressure upstairs as 'good', but better than the dismal pressure we have downstairs. The pressure at the outside bib is also low as well.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:12 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
I live in knightdale and have city water. The house is two story and i've always had better water pressure upstairs though I wouldn't classify the pressure upstairs as 'good', but better than the dismal pressure we have downstairs. The pressure at the outside bib is also low as well.
You need a plumber.
Pressure and flow on the main level should be equal to or better than on the second level

Old 07-06-2014, 11:30 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
1) There may be a water meter at the curb. It is concealed below ground but has a removable cast-metal cover plate at the ground surface.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...%3B3256%3B2160

The water meter has a valve which serves as a whole-house shut-off valve. Perhaps this valve is not fully open. The town utility people can check and correct this. The homeowner may also do it, provided that an appropriate tool is at hand.
Shop Superior Tool Emergency Gas/Water Shut-Off Wrench at Lowes.com

2) There may be a whole-house shut-off valve inside the house, possibly in a crawl space. If so, verify that it is in the fully "on" position. No special tool is required for this.
Shop AMERICAN VALVE 3/4-in Brass Female In-Line Gate Valve at Lowes.com
Shop AMERICAN VALVE 3/4-in Brass Sweat In-Line Ball Valve at Lowes.com

3) There may be a whole-house pressure regulator valve, possibly in a crawl space. That regulator may be mis-adjusted or defective.
Shop Watts 3/4-in Brass Female In-Line Water Pressure Valve at Lowes.com

4) The pipe between the water meter and the house has been damaged -- kinked or crushed. That would be unfortunate because any problems "downstream" of the meter are a homeowner responsibility. Is your house still under a builder warranty?

Old 07-06-2014, 12:19 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Make sure all the water is off, in and around the house, and look at your meter to see if it is still running .
A break or hole in the line under the house, will produce exactly what you are talking about.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Call city of Raleigh as they provide the water. They will come out and verify you have sufficient water pressure at your home. If it's outside it's their issue. If it's inside it's yours.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:22 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
The difference between floors is a bit concerning. Even more so that you have worse pressure downstairs than up.

Definitely start with the Raleigh Water Dept though, it is possible that there are just construction or design issues in your house that were barely OK and the recent construction has caused a drop in pressure that made them worse. However, if they find it tests within their range, then you might have to get the plumbers out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary