Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:25 PM

621 posts, read 982,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I agree that more police could have helped.
That's what we would like to think but it can only help so much. Criminals will be criminals, whether 7/4 or another day. Swift and harsh penalties meted out at a low cost should be the order of the day for violent criminals convicted beyond a shadow of doubt.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:13 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,579,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
That's what we would like to think but it can only help so much. Criminals will be criminals, whether 7/4 or another day. Swift and harsh penalties meted out at a low cost should be the order of the day for violent criminals convicted beyond a shadow of doubt.
You're right. Swift and harsh penalties......like the ones that come from those of us who carry concealed and choose to not allow such senseless crimes to occur. Look at Chicago where guns of any type are illegal. Yup, crimes involving guns have skyrocketed. Heck, look at the number of murders and people shot over the 4th of July!!

Remember, guns are illegal in Chicago!!

82 shot, 14 fatally, in Chicago over July Fourth - chicagotribune.com

Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You're right. Swift and harsh penalties......like the ones that come from those of us who carry concealed and choose to not allow such senseless crimes to occur. Look at Chicago where guns of any type are illegal. Yup, crimes involving guns have skyrocketed. Heck, look at the number of murders and people shot over the 4th of July!!

Remember, guns are illegal in Chicago!!

82 shot, 14 fatally, in Chicago over July Fourth - chicagotribune.com
Actually Chicago had a CCW holder shoot an attacker but it's not getting much attention. Who would have thought a good guy with a gun helps to stop attacks???

Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Actually Chicago had a CCW holder shoot an attacker but it's not getting much attention. Who would have thought a good guy with a gun helps to stop attacks???
Similar story from Durham over the weekend
Employee pulls gun, foils Durham robbery :: WRAL.com

Old 07-08-2014, 06:10 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You're right. Swift and harsh penalties......like the ones that come from those of us who carry concealed and choose to not allow such senseless crimes to occur.
You missed this part:

Quote:
for violent criminals convicted beyond a shadow of doubt.

I don't see how carrying a gun at the time of a crime would have anything to do with handing out a penalty after someone is duly processed...

I'm not anti-gun, but this statement seems like it would only add to the problem. If you've got 80,000 (or whatever) people downtown, how is it possibly good to have someone who may be trained in gun safety, but not in law enforcement firing a weapon into a crowd of people?

I won't argue your right to self defense (even though the second amendment is about forming a militia, not about arming yourself to "choose not to allow senseless crimes to occur"), but I don't support arming the public to become self-proclaimed vigilante law-enforcers. I state this as a parent. As someone who wants to be able to go out in public and feel safe. I'd rather take my chances with a highly unlikely encounter with a random thug, then elevate the risk by having to dodge the bullets of 30% of the crowd.

46 years on this planet, and haven't been mugged yet. Much of that due to making good choices and carefully choosing where I put myself and my family. Any guns I have (or had) were in the house, ready to take down an intruder. I'm all for that.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:34 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You missed this part:

I don't see how carrying a gun at the time of a crime would have anything to do with handing out a penalty after someone is duly processed...

I'm not anti-gun, but this statement seems like it would only add to the problem. If you've got 80,000 (or whatever) people downtown, how is it possibly good to have someone who may be trained in gun safety, but not in law enforcement firing a weapon into a crowd of people?

I won't argue your right to self defense (even though the second amendment is about forming a militia, not about arming yourself to "choose not to allow senseless crimes to occur"), but I don't support arming the public to become self-proclaimed vigilante law-enforcers. I state this as a parent. As someone who wants to be able to go out in public and feel safe. I'd rather take my chances with a highly unlikely encounter with a random thug, then elevate the risk by having to dodge the bullets of 30% of the crowd.

46 years on this planet, and haven't been mugged yet. Much of that due to making good choices and carefully choosing where I put myself and my family. Any guns I have (or had) were in the house, ready to take down an intruder. I'm all for that.
One of the rules of using your weapon is to only use it if you have a clear shot and no chance of hitting an innocent bystander. You are assuming someone with a CCW is going to open fire into a crowd of people and injure or kill them. You are also assuming the average CCW holder is not properly trained. I can pull countless stories of police injuring innocent people, or firing many shots without hitting their suspect. Police are trained in a wide range of things, such as traffic stops, apprehension, paperwork, handling a firearm, etc... Is every cop a bad shot? No, of course not. The average CCW holder trains in just a couple areas in regards to their weapon. Some train more than others. Is every CCW holder a good shot? Of course not. Especially when adrenaline is pumping.

FYI but most cases of a law abiding citizen using their weapon for protection happens within 9ft of the assailant. This isn't Hollywood where people are shooting at each other from 20ft+ away. Hollywood movies have brainwashed the public in terms of firearms. You are picturing a CCW holder shooting at a person with 60,000 people behind them lol.

Just because you have gone 46 years of not getting mugged is not uncommon. Crime stats for Raleigh show that per 1,000 people only .04% are murdered, .27% are raped, 1.13% are robbed, and 2.42% are assaulted. Stats are in your favor for sure. I don't like being a statistic so I protect myself.

I could go on and on, but the thread will get locked and posts will be deleted. No reason to argue over this here. What we know is the police presence was light this year, and the crime might have been prevented if someone with a weapon could have stepped in. It's a tragic loss of life and hopefully we can learn from this. It wont stop me from going downtown again though. I had a good time while there.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I am saddened to see and learn how life is now for our youth. The issues know no barriers - family economics or race. Drug use is mind blowing - no pun intended. And the students selling drugs can be any race and from a wealthy family as much as from a lower income family. The white/black/Asian preppy kid is no different from a kid from the hood. Promiscuity is off the charts! It's like the 60's & 70's on steroids! For the sake of good taste, I won't go into detail here.

Actually, kids now are better behaved than they were twenty years ago.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/ss/ss6304.pdf
TL;DR: Kids are less likely to smoke, drink, engage in sexual behavior, or have been in a fight, than they were in 1991.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help the young man or his family. What a senseless waste.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,579,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You missed this part:

2 retorts before I'm done:

First, just because one is trained in law enforcement doesn't mean they are a pro at weapon handling. I would be willing to wager those with CCW (concealed carry of weapons) permit holders are a "better shot" than most police officers.

Second, you need to realize that when seconds count police are only minutes away.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:33 PM

119 posts, read 318,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
The young man (victim) was stabbed many, many times. It was a vicious attack. The victim attended Millbrook HS, and was well-liked, and by all accounts, a quiet kid - per my daughter who attends the same school. She saw him about an hour before it happened. We know nothing of the details but there are a lot of Millbrook kids in pain right now because of the loss of their school mate. For many of them, this is the first loss of someone their age and so they are reeling.

My deepest condolences to Tahje's family if they read this post. We are so sorry for your loss.

My heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the victim. Senseless!

Old 07-12-2014, 09:27 AM

258 posts, read 672,980 times
OK, this was shared to me on FB....I'm not a big fan of Rap, and I WARN YOU the Language is rough depending on your level of profanity tolerance....

BUT, in spite of the language, this kid nails whats wrong with the youth in only 3 verses... 1st the white males, then females (Regardless of color) and lastly Black Male youth.....then attacks the music industry in the 4th verse for propagating and exploiting the problems we are having...

Again, being a 42 year old white male I am not exactly a huge fan of "hip hop/RAP" AT ALL... but I was really blown away by the power of his words, and how he exactly nailed it in such a short way the issues we are seeing in youth today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRVOOwFNp5U

Oh, and if you were wondering about his white contact I was too and looked it up, its just his "shtick" for performing...he is also 100 percent against drugs/drinking..

I was impressed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary