Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 08:51 AM

4 posts, read 17,281 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from Maine to Briar Chapel or Hillsborough and are visiting BC for the first time next week. NH to NC, it sounds as though we have similar likes and I was wondering if you moved to Briar Chapel and if so, if you like it there. I am also concerned about the small lot sizes and prefer more spacious, wooded yards. Thanks!

Last edited by moominland; 03-15-2016 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:55 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,959,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moominland View Post
We are considering a move from Maine to Briar Chapel or Hillsborough and are visiting BC for the first time next week. NH to NC, it sounds as though we have similar likes and I was wondering if you moved to Briar Chapel and if so, if you like it there. I am also concerned about the small lot sizes and prefer more spacious, wooded yards. Thanks!
If you like spacious wooded yards, and don't need a brand new house, there are tons of older neighborhoods that didn't bulldoze and flatten the landscape.

Also, Briar chapel is 20 min south of Chapel Hill and Hillsborough is 20 min north. Lots of what you are looking for in between.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,334 times
Hello. I have enjoyed reading so many comments about this huge decision to move to NC/BC. I wonder now that this thread is rather dated if the opinions are still as mixed?
Currently I live in Vermont and have considered moving with my wife and two kids (7&4) to NC in our quest to find a more moderate climate in winter and access to more diversity. Our concerns of course are about culture as well. We live in a very liberal state and certainly appreciate that.
I would so appreciate any feed back this idea of moving South.
Sincerely,

Doug

Old 07-26-2017, 11:28 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,570,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT-in-VT View Post
Hello. I have enjoyed reading so many comments about this huge decision to move to NC/BC. I wonder now that this thread is rather dated if the opinions are still as mixed?
Currently I live in Vermont and have considered moving with my wife and two kids (7&4) to NC in our quest to find a more moderate climate in winter and access to more diversity. Our concerns of course are about culture as well. We live in a very liberal state and certainly appreciate that.
Sincerely,

Doug
As long as your expectations are adjusted appropriately, moving South will deliver on most, if not all of your expectations.

We've been here just over a decade having moved from Long Island. There is an adjustment period and some idiosyncrasies that linger (still can't get used to being wished a "blessed day"), but being a transplant and/or a liberal is extremely common.

Depending on where you land, you will likely fit right in.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:17 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,367,696 times
Quote:
Sincerely,

Doug
There are lots of recent threads you might want to read through, like this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...thern-has.html

Although the last couple of pages of that one go waaay off the rails.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,334 times
Default About the Waldorf School near Chapel Hill

Thank you for the encouragement and recommended reading. Interesting indeed.
I wonder as well, how far is the Waldorf School from the Briar Chapel area?
Anyone out there attending that school?

Thanks again.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:47 PM

326 posts, read 384,407 times
Quote:
Thank you for the encouragement and recommended reading. Interesting indeed.
I wonder as well, how far is the Waldorf School from the Briar Chapel area?
Anyone out there attending that school?

Thanks again.
It's probably 30 minutes from BC to the Waldorf School, maybe more. It's all the way up on the north side of Chapel Hill. I have no personal experience with it, but a coworker of mine sent his two kids there for their entire K-12 education and really liked it. That was a while ago as both kids are now out of college (late 20s, I think).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary