Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM

19 posts, read 20,055 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are moving to the area. We plan to visit in January of next year. I currently work for a company that I can transfer for with when we decide to move. My fiancee is looking to gain a position as a DBA or continue his steps toward becoming DBA. I am trying to figure the best school to earn a degree in Early Childhood Education, any ideas? Also, what are some good neighborhoods in the area? We are looking to stay in the $150K range, 3 bedrooms, 2-3 bathrooms (master on suite), a nice size yard, 2 car garage and if possible a back deck. We will probably only have a weekend to visit so we are more so looking for good neighborhoods to start the home buying process. Any good neighborhoods close to downtown in our price range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,326,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytosham View Post
My fiancee and I are moving to the area. We plan to visit in January of next year. I currently work for a company that I can transfer for with when we decide to move. My fiancee is looking to gain a position as a DBA or continue his steps toward becoming DBA. I am trying to figure the best school to earn a degree in Early Childhood Education, any ideas? Also, what are some good neighborhoods in the area? We are looking to stay in the $150K range, 3 bedrooms, 2-3 bathrooms (master on suite), a nice size yard, 2 car garage and if possible a back deck. We will probably only have a weekend to visit so we are more so looking for good neighborhoods to start the home buying process. Any good neighborhoods close to downtown in our price range?
Wake Forest will be HARD on $150k. Even Raleigh will be tough.

Back in 2008 I had the same thoughts, 3 bedroom min, 2-3 bathroom, and 2 car garage (this set up appeals to the largest majority of buyers). Those were my requirements! We spent $172k and found going up to that price point you got everything we wanted, below that and you probably won't get that garage, or it will be a single garage with a single driveway (pointless IMO) etc. I know for my neighborhood prices are still the same as back then (sigh). If you can splurge a bit I would seriously consider it.

Also if you can find a fixer upper in Wake Forest I would go for it. WF is a great town. We are in NE Raleigh almost touching WF and I wish we would've bought there.

You might find some houses in that price range with your requirements in Rolesville, it's very close to Wake Forest.

If you want close to downtown (I assume you mean Raleigh) you're looking at a little sketch but down in Garner it gets better. Knightdale isn't bad depending on the area, it's very quiet. Just be forewarned that the demand for housing in those areas isn't nearly as high as Wake Forest. I would suspect a house in that price range in Wake Forest will be able to be sold extremely quickly, vs the others that would have a lot of that price range on the market at the same time.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:39 PM

Default Thanks

Hi wheelsup,

Thank you for the advice. My fiancee and I are willing to move the price up if it is a new construction home. I have found some neighborhoods in Garner, Wake Forest and Raleigh and I will be contacting the builders. In regards to taxes and cost of living, where could I possibly find that information for the areas listed above?

Old 07-09-2014, 08:01 PM

Check out this site:

http://www.raleigh-wake.org/page/state-and-local-taxes

Figure on about 1% of value. So a $150k home would be $1,500 a year in RE taxes. Some places, especially all the new cookie cutter sub divisions, have an HOA as well. Those vary from $100/yr to thousands depending on the amenities.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,842,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wake Forest will be HARD on $150k. Even Raleigh will be tough.

Back in 2008 I had the same thoughts, 3 bedroom min, 2-3 bathroom, and 2 car garage (this set up appeals to the largest majority of buyers). Those were my requirements! We spent $172k and found going up to that price point you got everything we wanted, below that and you probably won't get that garage, or it will be a single garage with a single driveway (pointless IMO) etc. I know for my neighborhood prices are still the same as back then (sigh). If you can splurge a bit I would seriously consider it.

Also if you can find a fixer upper in Wake Forest I would go for it. WF is a great town. We are in NE Raleigh almost touching WF and I wish we would've bought there.

You might find some houses in that price range with your requirements in Rolesville, it's very close to Wake Forest.

If you want close to downtown (I assume you mean Raleigh) you're looking at a little sketch but down in Garner it gets better. Knightdale isn't bad depending on the area, it's very quiet. Just be forewarned that the demand for housing in those areas isn't nearly as high as Wake Forest. I would suspect a house in that price range in Wake Forest will be able to be sold extremely quickly, vs the others that would have a lot of that price range on the market at the same time.
Hi Wheelsup! Just a slight correction...in Knightdale houses are selling like hotcakes! In my neighborhood they sell in a few days. We have been discovered

Old 07-09-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytosham View Post
Hi wheelsup,

Thank you for the advice. My fiancee and I are willing to move the price up if it is a new construction home. I have found some neighborhoods in Garner, Wake Forest and Raleigh and I will be contacting the builders. In regards to taxes and cost of living, where could I possibly find that information for the areas listed above?
OP - you found a new home for around $170k with 2 car garage? I am stunned, didn't think that was possible.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Hi Wheelsup! Just a slight correction...in Knightdale houses are selling like hotcakes! In my neighborhood they sell in a few days. We have been discovered
That's awesome! Although I just drove on the southern 440 today for the first time (been here 6 years!) and my God that is a horrendous road. Also a ton of traffic. I do like my corner of NE Raleigh though.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
OP - you found a new home for around $170k with 2 car garage? I am stunned, didn't think that was possible.
No, I wish . Right now the homes by Terramor range from 160+. We don't mind spending over $150, but really only like $5,000. The other option would be to get a fixer upper. Any suggestions for good realtors in the area?

Old 07-10-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's awesome! Although I just drove on the southern 440 today for the first time (been here 6 years!) and my God that is a horrendous road. Also a ton of traffic. I do like my corner of NE Raleigh though.
Yeah, the area around Poole Rd, Raleigh, towards S. Saunders St, etc., they are repaving. I think it's a 2 year project. Horrible! i feel for ppl who commute daily. they must have to get their alignment done every month!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:49 AM

19,374 posts, read 27,612,459 times
Frankly, I'd suggest renting until you both have jobs to eliminate the risk of ending up with a huge commute. That will also give you time to save additional (and needed) funds to purchase a house.

When you look at new construction, the basic rule is to take the starting price point and add 15-20% for upgrades. Trust me, that's a conservative approach.

As far as a fixer upper, where is the money to fix it going to come from? It's difficult (VERY) to obtain borrowed funds for that in a home equity loan or as part of the initial mortgage. It's safe to assume you guys will be paying fir thise fixes out of your paychecks.

Home ownership is ALWAYS more expensive than anyone initially thinks. It isn't all it's cracked up to be. Renting as some terrific benefits and advantages. Don't throw it aside so easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary