Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:08 PM

30 posts, read 53,782 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planing to move to Durham (wife got a job offer at DUKE & UNC) area and are in need of some assistance.

I've read other threads about DUKE VS UNC, but nothing recent. IF anyone is still works at either or, of the facilities please provide some feed back on your experience. IF you work in the Nursing field even better thanks!

Also, if you could provide info from experience on using the facilities child care programs.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:42 AM

317 posts, read 1,513,868 times
I worked at Duke University Hospital for 1 year when I first moved here as a nurse in the float pool. I moved to rex hospital because the 30 min drive after working a 12 hour shift was just too much. I also couldn't find a job out of the float pool that was 12 hour day shift only. That was something that rex did offer. You have to pay for parking at Duke & unc. I've never worked at UNC so I can't say much about their parking. The parking at duke wasn't great. I had to get there at 630 to catch a bus to make it to the hospital on time so i could clock in before 7am. It was a pain after working 12 hour shifts when you just wanted to get home and relax. I don't have any experience with the child care programs.

Duke & Unc have great health insurance that is cheaper than Rex Hospital. However, rex hospital has free parking and gives a $450 christmas bonus each year. It really depends what you are looking for. I worked as a RN in pittsburgh and had to pay for parking there-$100 amonth. So paying for parking wasn't anything new to me.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:59 PM

Thank you hkrn44,

I really appreciate feedback. How was the work flow, and work load at DUKE? I've read that DUKE has a high staff turnover, but never understood why. . at the same time it must vary depending on the unit. I hope this is not the case with L&D or their Postpartum.

Please keep it going if we have any more RN's or relatives of RN's. It is a very tough decision, as my plans are to be there permanently.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:38 PM

Well the work load at Duke wasn't bad because I was in teh float pool. I felt like I got easier assignments than other people because I didn't typically work on that floor, if that makes sense. It was a very structured work environment and people did what they were supposed to do. I believe duke has high turnover because of the parking more than anything. Same with UNC. Also, I think Duke doesnt pay as well as UNC or Rex hospital. So people get the experience then leave for higher paying jobs. I make $3 more an hour at Rex as compared to duke.

Oh and with Duke you have to start out on day/night rotating unless you're in the float pool. People may leave because they get tired of the night shift work. I believe it's 2 years before you can even be considered to work day shift only.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:10 PM

hkrn44, Thank you again.

Does anyone have a salary range? starting at 50k? 65k? I've read that even with Rn's with experience start at 50k. How long does it normally take to get to day shift at UNC/REX? Are the benefits better at REX? I cant seem to find any open positions at rex.

This maybe of the topic, but are the benefits better at UNC/REX? I'm referring to Dental, Vision. I was surprise to see the spike in cost its nearly 3x more than here in California.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
My husband and I both work for Duke and are quite happy. We've been here for almost 6-1/2 years. While salaries may be lower, the benefits are terrific. Great price on health insurance, very good dental and vision coverage. My husband is an RN and took a big pay cut when we moved here...I'm an NP and my salary was actually a bit higher.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:57 AM

Rex offers day shift right from the start. I looked yesterday and tehre were about 50 nurse positions open at rex. Are you looking on the website directly? Do you have experience using Epic? That is a big thing right now because Rex just started using the system a month ago. I know the PACu is hiring and they have day shift or evening shift available. UNC has free or little to no cost benefits from what i've read. Duke is in the middle range and rex is most expensive. Most people who work at Rex and are married will use their spouses benefits rather than Rex, if that tells yo uanything. However, rex has free parking & gives bonuses each Christmas. Rex also pays differential where Duke and UNC only pays a few dollars. Rex you make an extra $3 an hour after 3pm. On weeekneds you make an extra $10 an hour. Night shift you make something extra as well but I'm not exactly sure what it is. I make about $54,000 at rex and i have 7 years RN experience with my BSN. Also, do you have your bsn? That is something all hospitals around here are looking for. If you don't have it, you must sign an agreement that you will get it within 2 years.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:18 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
I would also factor in educational benefits offered by either/both places if you are considering getting your masters.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:02 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
I can only comment on Duke. The pay is lower but there are a couple of benefits that stand out. Once you are vested they will contribute 8.9% of your salary to your retirement fund. Employees with a salary over $60,000 get a higher contribution. They also offer a college tuition grant to the dependents of full time employees who have been there for, I believe 5+ years. All of this is on the web site under benefits if you want more information.

The parking is annoying. The money they charge is pre-tax but to have to add 30min to your commute to wait for a bus and allow time to get your office/floor by your start time is frustrating. Plus waiting for the bus in the downpour we had today - not fun.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:32 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
The parking is annoying. The money they charge is pre-tax but to have to add 30min to your commute to wait for a bus and allow time to get your office/floor by your start time is frustrating. Plus waiting for the bus in the downpour we had today - not fun.
And good news, Dookies -- that raise you may have received July 1st? Parking fees are going up, up, up, so kiss that extra $$ goodbye.

Someone told me today that UNC has a graduated fee scale for parking based on salary. I wish Duke would do the same. It's ridiculous that those of us who fall on the lower end of the pay scale have to fork over just as much as the rest. $83/month for premium garage parking just because that's where my job happens to be. I switched to TTA last summer and haven't looked back since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary