Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 5,957 times

Advertisements

Thanks for very good advice, especially about the staged part, but will contact the realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 12:53 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I agree that large chunks of the show are staged; however, I KNOW what we viewed in Galveston. And I followed that house afterwards. It sold about 90 days after the show was on the air. Admittedly, this was many years ago.

Go back and reread my prior post in this thread to understand what I'm saying.
Yeah, some are definitely legit on the market...not doubting you. Just saying that many (not all) weren't for sale at the time of shooting, and if they were, there's a good chance they're no longer on the market by the time the show airs. Particularly in today's market.

Last edited by SFspiderman; 07-14-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 01:48 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
House Hunters calls to find a Realtor that has buyers already under contract that have not moved into their home yet.

That is why that home that is chosen is usually vacant.

After taping the show where the buyers view the home, they try to find similar homes that sellers will allow to be taped.

Sometimes they will call a builder (had that happen with a home my buyers purchased but hadn't closed on) to see if they will allow their home to be the non chosen home. In this case, builder asked my buyers and they declined.

So, the Realtor is real and the buyers are real buyers and the homes are real homes! After that...staged!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:08 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Read on one site that the compensation to the buyers for being on the show is like $500. Doesn't hardly seem worth it when you read about all the stuff they have to go through with take after take of every scene, etc.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:12 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
$500 wouldn't even be enough to get me to film those idiotic scenes where the couple are in the kitchen or bathroom, and all tangled up and tripping over each other as they pretend to do something.

I thought it was pretty obvious that these shows were staged? No one looks at 3 houses and makes a decision like that. Occasionally, they slip up and leave in a quote from one of the buyers like "after looking at 60+ houses" or something along those lines.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:41 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
$500 wouldn't even be enough to get me to film those idiotic scenes where the couple are in the kitchen or bathroom, and all tangled up and tripping over each other as they pretend to do something.

I thought it was pretty obvious that these shows were staged? No one looks at 3 houses and makes a decision like that. Occasionally, they slip up and leave in a quote from one of the buyers like "after looking at 60+ houses" or something along those lines.
Nope...there are people all over that still believe that a "reality show" is 100% reality!

Kinda like those folks that believe that everything posted on Facebook is true!!!

Old 07-14-2014, 03:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I know someone who was on this show years ago and was told that they had already moved into the condo when they toured it and that the show played it off as if the buyer negotiated the furnishings in the sales contract. I suppose I can understand why the show has to assure that the buyer is going to be successful in their purchase but this was just a bit more than ridiculous.

I will say that the show "Property Virgins" doesn't always end well and that some of the buyers end up getting cold feet or losing the property that they want. In that case, it's way more realistic.

On a similar note, I heard that "Love it or List it" is also rigged and that all the homeowners actually "love" (meaning stay in) their home and participate in the program as part of an agreement to get it renovated at a discount.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 PM

25 posts, read 30,892 times
I have not gotten to see the episode but I am pretty sure the house you are talking about is mine now. I got a message on Facebook late last night but had already went to bed before the last showing. I wish I had known that it had even been taped! It was a shock to us, we bought the house back in January.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:28 PM

25 posts, read 30,892 times
I have been desperately trying to find a way to get the episode and not wait a month for it to re-air. It is not on Directv VOD yet. Came here looking for at least a discussion on the show since it was here and was surprised to see the thread started like it did

Old 07-14-2014, 06:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinr View Post
I have not gotten to see the episode but I am pretty sure the house you are talking about is mine now. I got a message on Facebook late last night but had already went to bed before the last showing. I wish I had known that it had even been taped! It was a shock to us, we bought the house back in January.
Neato!

That's pretty cool, Dustin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary