Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:15 PM

551 posts, read 575,476 times

Advertisements

I think the biggest issue that will affect prices that everyone is missing is the rising interest rates. The interest rates have more of an impact on actual costs than the home price itself in many cases. We have not seen 5.5% in a couple of months and I am starting to think we will not for some time. Looks like the best time to buy may have passed, if the interest rates trend upward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 03:16 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
^^They aren't making more land. People have been choosing between Holly Springs/FV/etc and the convenience of Cary for some time. Cary real estate has done very well during that time.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:28 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
^^They aren't making more land.
Funny, they said that about southern CA as well.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 PM

551 posts, read 575,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Yes, but CA had a huge bubble market. No such bubble market of any kind here. That's completely apples & oranges. Really it's apples and steak.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
I don't see that what's happened in Southern CA is all that relevant to a discussion of the desirability of Cary compared to towns that are further away from employment centers and amenities.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:04 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Comparing a town that is close to a job center to an entire region (that is larger than the State of NC) seems rather silly. Desirable locations in SoCal still outperform undesirable ones. The bubble in California really doesn't change that.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I don't see that what's happened in Southern CA is all that relevant to a discussion of the desirability of Cary compared to towns that are further away from employment centers and amenities.
The relevance is that the same "they're not making any more land" argument was used for lots of places around the country, and it didn't make any more sense in those areas that it does here. It's a weak sound-byte that ignores the other important part of the equation - demand. Sure, Cary might be more in demand than areas further out, but in an absolute sense that demand can go down just as easily as it can in any other location, dragging prices down with it.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
The relevance is that the same "they're not making any more land" argument was used for lots of places around the country, and it didn't make any more sense in those areas that it does here. It's a weak sound-byte that ignores the other important part of the equation - demand. Sure, Cary might be more in demand than areas further out, but in an absolute sense that demand can go down just as easily as it can in any other location, dragging prices down with it.
Frankly, your comment about Southern CA comes across as a weak soundbite as well when using it in a discussion about the Triangle. I also don't see how you can say that "they're not making any more land" doesn't take into account demand - it mostly certainly does. Certain areas will always be more in demand due to their location, and if those areas are built out, you can't magically make more land appear. If overall demand in an area trends down, then yes, demand may go down even in previously highly desired areas. However, I think the effect will be felt less in those highly desired areas. This is why it's very important to take location into account when buying a house.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Frankly, your comment about Southern CA comes across as a weak soundbite as well when using it in a discussion about the Triangle.
I don't see how it was weak - people actually said this about Southern CA, they in fact did not make any more land, and yet prices did drop there. Lots of people there thought that area was unique, special, and immune from basic concepts of supply and demand, just like lots of people here do. I don't think the end result here will be anywhere near the same magnitude as it is there, but the similarities in rationalization are interesting to me.

Quote:
I also don't see how you can say that "they're not making any more land" doesn't take into account demand - it mostly certainly does. Certain areas will always be more in demand due to their location, and if those areas are built out, you can't magically make more land appear. If overall demand in an area trends down, then yes, demand may go down even in previously highly desired areas. However, I think the effect will be felt less in those highly desired areas. This is why it's very important to take location into account when buying a house.
None of these nuances are captured by "they're not making any more land." You even agree that if demand goes away, prices will go down, even though "they're not making any more land" is just as true then as it was when the area was in demand.

But I think we agree more than disagree. I think, barring any major shifts in the viability of RTP employers, that Cary is going to do much better than say, FV or Clayton (which are going to get crushed by rising gas prices as well as foreclosures). I am worried that the bubble-induced glut of higher end houses in Cary is going to push prices down across the board, but still I think that the average $250K house in Cary is going to drop less in price than the average $250K Clayton house.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I am worried that the bubble-induced glut of higher end houses in Cary is going to push prices down across the board, but still I think that the average $250K house in Cary is going to drop less in price than the average $250K Clayton house.
The house I just purchased for $213K in a desirable location in Cary has appreciated an average of 3.2% per year since 2001. A neighbor who has lived in their house for 20 years (since it was new) has seen just about the same appreciation per year over those 20 years. I'm curious - just how far do you expect the price of my house to fall?

And, also out of curiosity, by what percent did housing prices rise in Southern CA from 2001 to when the bubble started to burst?

Last edited by adlnc07; 07-10-2008 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary