Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 02:24 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
We've had zero problems with Coastal, and everyone there has been more than friendly and accommodating. We can also use our ATM cards at any CashPoints kiosk with no fee.
Yes, my credit union, State Employees, charges no fee to non-members at its Cash Points ATM's. It really is the cat's meow. Even has free coin counters to empty piggy banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 05:19 AM

735 posts, read 1,583,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Oh, mercy. I think it's a near certainty that if the above is what you're looking for, you are not going to like Coastal one little bit. I was a long-time member, but finally cancelled all of my accounts because the service that I experienced became unbelievably impersonal and uncaring. What a rotten institution, in my opinion. My suggestion would be anywhere but Coastal! The best CU anywhere around here is State Employees, but the criteria for joining are exclusive.
I am another one of those Coastal members who got tired of their poor customer service and closed all my accounts.

I've since been a member at RTP Federal CU and have been treated like family on site and on the phone.

I will admit that if I could get into SECU (MM~1%!) I would, but neither my wife nor I have any affiliation with the State nor do our families.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:41 AM

360 posts, read 720,866 times
I've had no problems with Coastal. Been with them almost 10 years now and never had an issue.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:55 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
I am another one of those Coastal members who got tired of their poor customer service and closed all my accounts. .
I did the same with them several years back. Several problems that included them not calling me back about questions on my mortgage, to sending the wrong loan package for a closing, and some various other customer service issues. People may like them overall, but they have the worst customer service when you have issues that you need to speak to somebody about.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:44 AM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
A few years back I closed all of my bank accounts and opened online accounts with Ally. It's more convenient when moving and I like their interest rates. Their CS is pretty decent as well. I've heard good things about Capital One 360.

My only complaint is cash. If you use cash, you will not be able to deposit it with online banking.

I did have a good experience with NC SECU, but found some of their features and services lacking.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
A few years back I closed all of my bank accounts and opened online accounts with Ally. It's more convenient when moving and I like their interest rates. Their CS is pretty decent as well. I've heard good things about Capital One 360.

My only complaint is cash. If you use cash, you will not be able to deposit it with online banking.

I did have a good experience with NC SECU, but found some of their features and services lacking.
I have accounts at NCSECU so I'll have a local place and I do most of my other banking at Navy Federal Credit Union.

Absolutely the best credit union around.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:53 PM

223 posts, read 314,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
State Employees Credit Union is tops if you qualify to join it. Lots of branches and ATM's too.
Ah crud, as a transplant who doesn't work for the state or have any family down here who does, I don't think I would qualify for SECU.

So...do we think that maybe Coastal is the next-best option, all things considered?

Old 07-18-2014, 03:38 PM

116 posts, read 172,891 times
I've been with Coastal for 5 years without issue.

I was pretty bummed when they replaced live tellers with the automated tellers, but it's actually turned out to be more convenient and I rarely stepped inside the bank to begin with.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:41 PM

116 posts, read 172,891 times
And I'm sorry, I didn't mean automated teller, I meant "virtual teller." So you are still speaking to an actual person just via a screen.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:16 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I have accounts at NCSECU so I'll have a local place and I do most of my other banking at Navy Federal Credit Union.

Absolutely the best credit union around.
We have the same two credit unions - SECU and Navy Federal. They're both great. We used to live down the street from Navy Fed's headquarters in Vienna. We were there all the time for something or other!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary