Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,788 times

Advertisements

I have read through many similar forums on here regarding these cities and still can't decide so I am hoping for any feedback/advice you might have for our specific situation.

My husband accepted a new position which requires us to move to the Raleigh area from Florida next month. His job will be in Morrisville and we won't have the opportunity to visit the area before moving so I am having a hard time pinpointing an area to search within. There are a limited number of town homes posted for rent that allow pets so we are shifting our focus to apartment hunting but there are SO many to choose from and without knowing the area I don't really know where to start.

We are in our mid-late 20's with 2 dogs and would love to take advantage of the NC area and be near one of the greenway systems or park. Within in walking distance to a grocery store or coffee shop would be great because we will also be downsizing to one car and I will be working from home. We would love to find something in the $900 range but would go up to $1000-$1100 if needed. Above all safety is my number one concern so we are willing to sacrifice any of these "wants" for that.

If we choose Cary, any suggestions on what part? The areas near Crabtree Lake and Bond Metro park looked nice. I have looked at the Marquis at Preston and Weston Lakes Apartments there. I am also seeing some nice complexes in West Cary area, any suggestions? It seems like West Cary would be far from the outdoors things I am looking at but its hard to tell on a map. Where would you say the "heart" of Cary is? How is Prestonwood Country Club area?

We have also been told that Brier Creek area is nice, any thoughts on that part of town? It looks like the drive to Morrisville could be a pretty busy commute?

And finally Morrisville or Apex?

If anyone has suggestions on specific complexes or what parts of each town to look in it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
If the job is in Morrisville, I would live in Morrisville. Brier Creek is a good option - you can shoot right down Aviation Parkway to get from BC to Morrisville and it's a lovely ride. Not much traffic.

West Cary, if you stay east of NC55 you should be OK as far as access to established greenways. All of the areas you mention are good, safe, aesthetically pleasing. But you may as well stick as close as you can to his work.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:30 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
If you're renting, new to the area, want convenience in terms of location and amenities and desire proximity to Morrisville, you really should start your search in Brier Creek.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
If you want to be close to Morrisville and the Greenway system (near Lake Crabtree and/or Bond Park), try Brampton Moors (more affordable, near Bond Park, connects to trails) or Weston Lakeside (newer, but right beside Lake Crabtree, will be a bit more, but not terribly expensive for a smaller unit, connects to greenway).

Source: I live right off the Black Creek Greenway and have access to it (that would be near Lake Crabtree). My husband lived in Brampton Moors (over near Bond Park) when we first started dating. Both areas are good for outdoor activity, walking the dogs, etc.

Both are convenient to Morrisville with a slight edge to Weston Lakeside, as it nearly butts up to Morrisville.

Note: Weston Lakeside also connects straight into Umstead State Park, which is great for outdoor activities.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:52 PM

644 posts, read 842,081 times
If you are working in Morrisville but have one person working from home, I suggest Brier Creek. The apartments there are all nice, luxurious and you can find something easily within your budget. The neighborhood is easily accessible by highways (540) and you have access to Umstead Park with a five minute drive. The cool thing about living in Brier Creek and working from home is that there are restaurants, cafes (although Brier Creek doesn't have much going on with regard to a nice cafe scene. Caribou is the best) and shopping within walking distance.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:52 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,484 times
We lived at Weston Lakeside for 1/2 year while we were having a house built. Great location. Great place. Loved being on the greenway, able to walk/bike into umstead. Great for dog walking. Place very dog friendly regarding walking, etc.

We had an end unit, so the only thing that we heard from neighbors is the person directly overhead (upstairs) who vacuumed every day. I have never heard someone vacuum that much. It did start to make me vacuum more. ;-)
So when the vacuum started, I would also do housework for the 20 mins or so & then sit down to work again. Seemed easier to join with the cleaning party than to resist it. :-)

other than that, very nice experience renting there - it was a bit like renting in a resort with the nice workout center, pool, business center, etc & I liked their flexible lease so we could get 6-7 mos instead of a full year. no problem getting deposit back at the end.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:03 PM

143 posts, read 385,398 times
If he is working in Morrisville, then live in Morrisville. We rented at Grace Park after we sold our house and enjoyed the location. I don't believe they have a weight limit for dogs, but do restrict breeds. Not sure of the pricing now.

There is a Starbuck within a short walk, and either a walking trail or greenway access ( not sure, they were still paving it when we were there). it seems to be a good location for your age group, as you can walk to the restaurants.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsmom View Post
If he is working in Morrisville, then live in Morrisville. We rented at Grace Park after we sold our house and enjoyed the location. I don't believe they have a weight limit for dogs, but do restrict breeds. Not sure of the pricing now.

There is a Starbuck within a short walk, and either a walking trail or greenway access ( not sure, they were still paving it when we were there). it seems to be a good location for your age group, as you can walk to the restaurants.
Yes, I've seen large dogs walking in there. And the greenway is complete.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsmom View Post

Really depends on how much the OP wants to be outdoors and where the office in Morrisville is located.

I wouldn't like Grace Park (not enough trees) unless it was super convienent to the job and/or the WFH person needed walkable restaurants and such.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Really depends on how much the OP wants to be outdoors and where the office in Morrisville is located.

I wouldn't like Grace Park (not enough trees) unless it was super convienent to the job and/or the WFH person needed walkable restaurants and such.

I wouldn't live in Grace Park either. Can't put my finger on why but I wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary